Away Oklahoma City Friday Nov 9 2012

Discussion in 'November 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

at Oklahoma City

Friday Nov 9 2012 - 8:00 PM EST

Chesapeake Energy Arena, Oklahoma City, OK

TV: FS Detroit

RADIO: 97.1FM

GO PISTONS!
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I have OKC winning this one.
  4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey is 8-46 so far, that's Daye-like. I still don't see OKC pulling this one off after the loss of Harden.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think Stuckey can break out of his slump if he can work the count a little better and try and draw some walks. I think his batting average will improve once the weather warms also.
  6. BallDon'tLie

We have a coach who makes absolutely no attempt to win these games.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  7. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I will be at this game tonight. Just praying they keep it close enough for the starters to stay on the court. Going to locate a good steakhouse for lunch as there doesn't seem to be much else to do around here.
    coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

I hear the memorial to the OKC bombings is really good.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hopefully we avoid injuries and everyone gets in a nice workout and some live game shooting practice.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  10. BallDon'tLie

This sounds like one of John Kuester's pre-game speeches.
    ...I gotta admit, I'm pretty fired up right now!
    del and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He didn't give pre game speeches. He just watched MASH reruns in his office until the last possible minute.
  12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think we have played as well as we can play this season...and I don't think OKC has played their worst yet. What if the Pistons played their best game and OKC played their worst game?
    roscoe36 likes this.
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Watching my first game - what happened to JJ's hair?

And speaking of odd, saw on the game on NBATV that someone gave Kevin McHale a job. Wow.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

That was awesome with Monroe and Drummond together in the 3rd! The most fun I had watching a Piston game in years.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

The Pistons look like a team all of a sudden. I am liking Drummond again. Let him cover the 4's.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

The Pistons were competitive in that loss. Easily the best they've looked. They were playing legitimate defense at one point.

Tayshaun Prince actually looked alive on defense with Monroe and Drummond behind him.

Monroe also seemed more aggressive next to Drummond.

Drummond is an athlete. There is not another team in the L in the Pistons situation that would play him less than they do.

Tay had his best game of the year and it still seems easy to replace his production with league minimum guys.
    del likes this.
  17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I agree with this assessment, they did look alot better on defense with dre back there. Dre crashes the offensive boards so well the opposition cant leak out they have to stay back to rebound. This may seem little but it helps transition defense. We just need Monroe to calm down and play within himself instead of rushing. The more comfortable dre and monroe become we will see opposing defenses begin to collapse more to the paint and we will hopefully see singler and Bk and english out at the 3 pt line lighting them up and making them pay.....iffffff our coach can get over his mental hurdles and make a move
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

He did tonight. It was his best game of the year too.

The Pistons had a wall up on D for 6-7 minutes of the 3rd. It carried over when Monroe and Drummond were split up.

Drummond seems to do better to me when he is given responsibility.
  19. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Monroe and Drummond played together finally! And it got them some good results.

Greg had a solid game. Yeah, he needs to finish better, but he was getting good looks at the basket and played aggressive, which was good to see. He followed up his triple double game with a near miss at one, with 14/10/6.

Brandon also had a solid game, on both ends. He didn't shoot as well as he did against the Kings, but more or less holding his own against Russ is a plus. He also can thank old man Dick Bavetta for calling blocks on clear charges from one Kevin Durant. Finished with 11/6/6 (3 TOs). A highlight of his game was a nice alley oop from Tay in the third.

Stuck was ok, he attacked the rim more like he usually does, and also chipped in 6 assists. His shot is still off, but his renewed aggressiveness is helping the team out quite a bit.

Tay was fine. I'd have liked to see better shooting numbers, though.

Max - didn't do too well.

Andre - played very well, netting 22 points and 8 boards and only 20 minutes (incrementally more than Maxiell played). He did what he needed to, he changed shots and rebounded the ball, and was rewarded with more playing time, a decent chunk of which was alongside Greg Monroe which paid off against the Thunder. Monroe was finding him under the basket and he finished well, even made most of his free throws. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

JJ - was active, but I hardly noticed him on the floor.

Kim - played under 9 minutes, so I couldn't really get a read on him.

Bynum - he's the Bynum I've come to expect. 8 shots in 12 minutes, 6 points, 0 assists and 3 turnovers - all of which were in the crucial early fourth quarter when the Pistons were still in it.

Kyle - again played a solid game. He seems to have a real nose for the ball and where to be on the floor to get himself open.

I was pleased with the effort. I'm sure no one expected them to be in this one let alone win, but they competed well and we finally got to see what a Monroe/Drummond front line could do in a regular season game, and they did well against one of the NBA's premier teams. They're getting to where they want to be.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, not a serious effort by the coach really, but at least a token effort to let us try win a game tonight. A serious effort would have put a fresh Monroe with Drummond, not one with no rest - and if you notice, Monroe just stayed out there, no rest at all. And then he stayed out of the game in crunch time. A serious effort would have featured Monroe and Drummond paired together extensively all game long. Hopefully, finally, next game we will see some actual, serious effort from the coach toward winning a game. After all, it will probably get around that Drummond looked awful good scoring those 20 + points tonight. And no, Drummond is not a talentless basketball player who can only dunk. His ability to put the ball in around the basket is pretty darn good with a wide variety of shots. We have seen in the last several games from him a serious hook, double clutchers, a super fancy put it behind the opponents back and flipping it in after the opponent skied straight up with him to try to block the shot, soft short jumpers, a feathery touch at the free throw line this night in particular, a made 3 that looked perfectly good in form, post ups that went well - and, oh, dunks - dunks made after catching the ball with his super soft hands. And he can even move with the ball a bit. The thing got me dreaming the most though tonight - the pairing of Drummond with Monroe on offense so you can't defend both. You put effort into stopping Monroe, Drummond ends up in good position and he will score. You watch Drummond - Monroe scores. You collapse it all in - it leaves our outside shooter some really free, makable shots.

Again, for most of the game, the coach could care less about winning. A too short JMAX starts. Tay should come off the bench, but he starts over Singler for no reason. JJ still is looked at thru coach's eyes as a power forward - while very few NBA observers have any idea what coach is looking at. And Bynum. Quite timely for Oklahoma City. After all that great play from a unit that mostly was kept out too long - just so Drummond could play with them - with great results that got us all hoping for the game and for the season too, here comes Bynum to throw the ball away 3 straight times and for our defense to go bye bye along with much chance to get back into the game by the time Bynum got pulled. What was that - just bring in a game to lose for sure. It certainly was not about winning. There is absolutely no excuse to play Bynum. None whatsoever. Stuckey and Knight can rotate with the 2nd unit as the point. You can use Singler or English, take your pick, for a good shooter at shooting guard.

Ditto for JJ ever playing any power forward, ever. As in it never should happen. Start with a 3 man rotation up front consisting of Monroe starting with Drummond, and JMAX off the bench. Foul trouble, add in Kravtsov for some minutes. If Dumars and Frank don't like Kravtsov, find someone with legit size for a power forward somewhere on this earth. Heck, we got rid of one guy from last year who would do just fine for a few minutes as a defensive oriented sub.

Stuckey gots some of his shot back anyway. Still would rather see English start though and Stuckey come off the bench as the backup point, as shooting is still not really his strength and English as far as I can see is a better defender.

All for now. Good news. Just maybe Frank has decided to start looking at putting some effort into winning games.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.