OKC Thunder Dec. 26th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 21, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Correlation is not causation. We could make the same argument for any player and it would be true, because (1) it is entirely subjective and (2) it is a team game.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The hype for Amir was not that great. Most fans in other cities would have no idea who he was if he didn't get a few starts at the beginning of this season. He spent significant time in the D-league. What player with hype does that?
  3. roscoe36

TaShawn, around the league, where knowledgeable fans are (ie. RealGM, Hoopsworld), they knew Amir. He got a lot of pub before his new contract.
  4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

When fans start seeing Rasheed and Antonio playing together and think to themselves that there is no power forward in the game...you know Michael Curry is starting to win people over to his side of the smallball conversation.

:help2:
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Thunder coach Scott Brooks bears a startling resemblance to Flip Saunders.

Sheed might be the worst end of game defender in the history of the NBA.

I won't soon forget the feeling of my eyes bulging out of my head at the start of the game as I realized that DET doesn't have the size to match up with OKC.

I would have no problem sacrificing wins if the team was becoming more versatile and more players were able to execute the core philosophy of the team. There are none of those things now. It is all hodgepodge.

If they struggle like this against OKC, what will the UCLA legend Dan Gadzuric do to them?!?!
  6. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i have to disagree - you could easily argue that we are becoming more versatile. tay, rip, and aa are all getting experience out of position, and we're incorporating both small and big lineups. we could just play traditional all year, but this gives the players experience with different styles of play and different types of players to guard.

stuck was predictably over-aggressive in the 1st half coming off of the 40-point game, and pushed a little too hard. but he played great in the 2nd half and picked his spots much better. when westbrook peeked to the left and stuckey immediately drove hard to the rim for a layup, that's good recognition, and more importantly shows his concentration to act immediately.

i agree with lee in that i think we let that lineup stay too long on the floor, but then again they did build the big lead so hindsight is 20/20 there. i mean, maybe after OKC scored a couple quick baskets we could've called a quick T and brought back sheed/stuck, but no biggie. we're learning and it was a fun game to watch, just gotta figure out a way to sustain those leads.
  8. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree that he has a harder time of it and I have commented about this weakness.

Only two factors can really help:
    1. Going over the game tape with concentrations on movement surges. Isolate only on this aspect and take detailed notes. Do this for all the past games. Understand the following:
      • Who gets hot (starter or bench)? Do they transfer energy or merely stay hot until they miss? If momentum seems to be building, who do you stop with heavy defensive pressure. Most might think to stop the guy who is hot, but one might want to make sure the leader stays out of it. When the leader gets hot, he is usually the heavy carrier.
      • Sometimes after a timeout, you might want to break further rhythm. How might this be done? It might be good to remember that the opposing team might be higher after the pep talk from the coach. So, if you have fouls to give, foul a poor FT shooter immediately: this slows everyone down. Now you are getting into Phil Jackson territory.
      • Hit them hard with full court pressure, especially if the the guards are not the hot ones. This can be a little touchy if your crew is weak on quickness and have not practice this routine. Again, in Phil Jackson territory: you have a special squad that does just that. They don't have to play long to become effective.
      • I could go on about some of these routines and I am sure others have some favorite try-ons.
      • The key is now controlling tempo (and player knowledge), disruption through planned and practiced affects. You have a very distinct advantage as insightful coach when you hit quickly and then get out. The merry-go-round of head coaching changes certainly will favor those that deal with these things and have a team history (think Pop and Jackson). GM's of course never think along these lines, unless they have an owner to who thinks they (the GM) can also coach. The latter is known as the, a little mouse effect.
    2. Using an assistant coach or designated person to routine this process and sharing knowledge. For the Pistons, this of course means Cowens and who knows the relationship each of the coaches have with one another.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

A 2 point win at home against a 4 and 16 team...
    Getting our guys to play other positions/out of position will deversify their game but can they use it come P/Os ? It aint gonna work.
    I like the idea of trying new things but not to spite yourself.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Trust me, hindsight was not needed. I knew what was needed immediately, when we still had a double digit lead.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

WHo's our next highest rated coach? Cowens ?
    Is he helping ? Can anyone reach Curry ?
  12. roscoe36

Sung to
    YouTube - David Bowie's "Space Oddity"

Ground control to Mike Curry
    Take your position and put your seatbelt on

Commencing tipoff, sneakers on
    Check the lineup and may gods love be with you

This is ground control to Mike Curry
    You've really made the grade
    And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
    Now its time to leave that seat if you dare

This is Mike Curry to ground control
    Im yanking Kwame Brown
    And I'm staying with Dice cause he can play
    And the gameplan looks very different today

For here
    Am I sitting on the sideline
    Far from officials
    Uniforms are blue
    And theres nothing I can do

Though Im paid one hundred thousand bills
    Im feeling every thrill
    And I think my team knows which way to go
    Tell Joe D I love him very much he knows

Your playbook's failed, theres something wrong
    Can you hear me, Mike Curry?
    Can you....

Here am I floating round my locker room
    Far above the stools
    Rip is feeling blue
    And theres nothing I can do.
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Then don't say it next time. I am correcting you, if you remember.
  15. roscoe36

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I was merely pointing out the continued use of a logical fallacy (correlation as causation) in your post game comments.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's pretty boring if we never make the leap from correlation to causation around here.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Micro, here is the post I was commenting on. Read the 2nd line you wrote. You quoted my response to this, not my game report.
  18. roscoe36

Ok fine.

Please, correlate to your heart's content.

I honestly do not have the stamina to argue right now.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not arguing here at all. You just apparently lost track of the conversation. No problem. I am just making comments on what I see in front of me. I pay little attention to who wrote what for the most part. I took the time, to be nice, to find the quote that I commented on. Appreciate it or not. Hope you can enjoy the game.
  20. roscoe36

Thanks. I'm gunna try real hard to have a good time even with the odds stacked against me.