Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 18, 2013.

1. max

max All-Star

I think there could be more to Dumars not wanting Isiah and Lamb around other than concerns of being overshadowed.

If anyone remembers the walk off in the 1992 ECF its worth noting that Dumars was not part of that. Add in all the childish antics over the years especially during Rothshtein's failed one year attempt a picture starts to emerge. That of Duamars possibly not considering the main guys on the team like Isiah and Lamb as very professional or trustworthy despite the chemistry they shared on the court.

Pehap's Dumars did what he needed to do in order to fit in and help the team win but vowed never to have anything to do with them after on a professional level due to their unprofessional antics as teammates. We all have friends we like but would never trust in a business relationship?

Just a theory. But why else would you not want to being in someone like Lamb who you know could help you unless you just did not trust him. So far the only guys welcome back have been the role players and Mahorn who was lost in the expansion draft well before the decline. It always bothered me how fast that team declined - there was something going on.

Nemo likes this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lamb won't listen to Joe. He was the vocal leader of the team/ alpha male and would probably assert his dominance again.

The Low likes this.
  3. detteam

detteam All-Star

Interviewing Hunter and not Laimbeer? I'm convinced the Pistons will never get back to the playoffs with Dumars at the helm. With all due respect to him for what he has done as a player and GM, he seems more into politics than building the next winning team. He's not getting the job done and needs to be fired well before the draft.

Sorta crazy thought. Imagine McHale at GM and Bill on the bench. If Gores wants instill a winning attitude and put butts in the seats, that combo would do it. Hire Mahorn to assistant coach the bigs and Hunter for the PG/SG's.

The Low likes this.
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hunter has NBA head coaching experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

North and South.

6. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

McHale would make a poor GM in Detroit. He bought into a system that he had no part in, nothing more, nothing less. Daryl Morey is going to be talked about in a year or two when Houston starts looking like a contender.

I have a lot of love for Laimbeer, but in all reality I don't think we will see it happen now or ever. And I don't think its a personal thing with Dumars. But we shall see.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

8. pass99

Flip has very deep ties to Minny which damn near started out at grade-school. Intellectually, I think he would be a great addition to any organization. I always liked him as a coach and a person.

The report stated, "Saunders, 58, is reportedly negotiating a contract that could run through the 2017-18 season with option years and worth more than $9 million over the full five years." What? That is chump change for President of Basketball Operations, unless he gets ownership shares.

What do you think JD makes?

Nemo likes this.
  9. Nemo

I'd guess he's in the 4-5 million per............. area of salary......

10. The Panda

I'm going to stick my neck out for Dumars here. I still think he can do good with what he has. The timing for the cap space hasn't been amazing, but he has good room to move around and I think we might see some decent improvements this offseason.

Have we been saying this for 3 years. Yes. Did we have a guy called Andre Drummond before then? No.

11. pass99

And the gods may say, you are, but one... knee injury away.

Nemo likes this.
  12. The Panda

Drummond seems pretty resilient. I remember reading that he didn't do a lot of weight training in HS/College. The stress fractures would just be the result of significant training to the posterier chain, lower back and core. I am not worried about it.

13. max

max All-Star

i don't understand?

14. Nemo

They're two opposite directions.

15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Now you're just making stuff up.

Nemo likes this.
  16. Pwn Toney

Maybe, but this is a results oriented business. You can't be the guy who would rather fail with the guys you like than succeed with those who aren't your favorite.

That's not to say Zeke and Laimb are guaranteed successes, but I'm not a fan of adamantly refusing to even consider people; especially people that you've been a part of success with. It's extremely closed minded and should not be the way you decide how you get to success. Those who have helped you build success are in the best position to foster that environment and pass on that knowledge and those practices to the next group. That doesn't mean there's no room for flexibility and evolution, but having that expertise to build on can be invaluable rather than starting from scratch every time. Besides, despite not having that expertise in 2004 to build on AND acquiring guys to win another title that were "model citizens" (until Flip arrived), DET still found a way to jettison THAT group of winners and will likely have no ties going forward with any of them either. It's a pattern that this franchise has become known for and I'd prefer we didn't do things that way.

17. Pwn Toney

I agree. But, that only bothers Joe. LOL

detteam likes this.
  18. Pwn Toney

So does Dick Vitale.

19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

At this point, I think Dumars has to go all in. I'm more for Laimbeer than Isaiah. But look, the team is looking for an identity and there is no Ben Wallace to make it happen. Unless they keep Joe a few years then fire him and get Laimbeer to run the franchise...

20. linwood

linwood All-Star

What if Laimbeer's success with the Shock had much more to do with his GM decisions than his coaching, and Joe knows that?