Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Thats a writers view, if correct then Joe needs to go on that point and that point alone.... But nothing out of his mouth has lead me to think of him that way. I think were all a bit to behind a guy to coach only because he's a hero for Piston nation. Would I be fine with him getting his shot... yep no issue at all, but there has to be more to why nobody wants to give him a shot then "jealousy".
  3. Pwn Toney

My question would be, do you think there's nothing on his basketball resume that makes him a reasonable candidate?
  4. round

5. Pwn Toney

Maybe Joe thinks the news of his Coach-Go-Round doesn't have a way to make it overseas. Maybe if you haven't been here to watch this foolishness in person, you'll be quick to say, 'yes.' My guess is, Joe D isn't going to be able to sucker a good NBA coach to come in here after all these firings...he'd probably be forced to hire someone that would be bad enough to need to be fired in another 2 years. My guess is any NBA coach that would potentially be any good isn't even answering when they see Joe D's number show up on their cell.
  6. Pwn Toney

I agree that it's the kind of statement you make when you haven't watched 82 games of Pistons basketball during those years, but JVG would have no reason to watch that much Pistons ball during that time. However, his assessment that the decisions being made at the top have made this a poor situation, not the coaches, is accurate.
  7. round

From the outside looking in nope... I liked how he ran the Shock, didn't like the way he left them the last year they were in Detroit.. but thats besides the point. I so wish we had some good journalist that would ask the serious questions and follow thru if the answers don't answer the question.

Ok, we got he didn't interview well... explain this to us. Until he gets his shot the question of why he hasn't gotten a shot isn't going away.

Me myself wanted him to get his shot when we tried Currey, and I'm not sure why with me... but maybe its just the drawn out saga its become but I want it resolved one way or the other. Give him his shot, or somebody spell it out why he isn't getting his shot. I do however want this story to be put to bed one way or another.

Has he said anything publicly about the job? I seem to remember his saying he'd like a shot YEARS ago, but recently?
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is just like falling for the Darko hype. Never trust anything outside the norm (read outside the western hemisphere) unless you have personally seen it or experienced it.

Not to say that Obradovic would be a bad candidate, but his interaction between guys that grew up here and guys that grew up on the other side of the pond might be completely different. Hire him as an assistant and tell your new coach that he is part of the coaching team.
  9. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I gave Michael Curry a lot of crap at the time, but he was pretty much dealt a death blow by the organization. He was put in absolutely no position to succeed. He was barely in a position to make the mistakes a first time head coach will make. I still don't agree with the hire, but you don't take a 5 to the Prom and expect them to win Prom King/Queen.
    linwood and The Low like this.
  10. Pwn Toney

coynejeremy likes this.
  11. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

12. LA Dre

I am hoping this just a rumor to keep Piston nation relevant with some intriguing coaching possibilities. If Zelfko was the Phil Jackson of Europe, then he must have had the Micheal Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Shaq and Kobe's of Europe to get there and he won't have any players of that caliber on the Pistons team.
  13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I've made up my mind. This is who I want. I don't know when he is currently projected to go in the draft and I fear he may be considered for the #1 overall pick by the time this thing actually happens but I'd use the number 1 pick to get this kid if I have too.
    coynejeremy and The Panda like this.
  14. LA Dre

15. round

The Low likes this.
  16. Pwn Toney

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Laimbeer is NOT an option, he JUST took the NY Liberty job and while it's "only the WNBA" his credibility will be shot to heck if he takes a job and quits it right after the WNBA draft, before he even coaches a single game.......he can't afford to ruin his name before he gets a legit shot a NBA coaching gig. So can we stop with the Laimbeer talk please?

Also, I like Nate McMillan! I find it hilarious that a tough defensive minded head coach isn't welcomed around here, he should have been the Pistons coach a long time ago.

And why is making the playoffs a bad thing? I mean what's wrong with crawling before you walk? Cola served us well!
    brofmfa and coynejeremy like this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree on the credibility front. It would make him look like a larry brown type.
  19. Pwn Toney

Having watched him coach 1st hand here in Portland. I was not impressed.

If he turns it around, I'll be the 1st to give him credit. But, I'm not really excited right now.
  20. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I am no super informed, but I always thought Nate was considered a really good coach. Can any body fill me in on what his negatives are? I was hoping his name was thrown out instead of Frank if we wanted to hire a veteran coach. 12 years head coaching experience, 5 times in playoffs. Only 3 really bad years.