Official Coaching Candidates Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 18, 2013.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Welcome dude!
    You forum handle is nothing shy of awesome.

linwood likes this.
  2. HooperIsMyHomeboy

HooperIsMyHomeboy Second Round Draft Pick

Who could deny "Ball don't lie?"

coynejeremy likes this.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Welcome!

Love the screen name.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Patrick Roy.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]Everybody knows that you never go full retread!

BallDon'tLie and Slippy like this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hopefully we can get some new assistants in there to back up Mo. Brian Hill and those other hallway coaches provided Larry no relief or positive suggestions in getting the job done. In fact didn't Hill bat a .000 while Larry was taking care of Mrs. Frank?

Bring in Rick Mahorn and Grant Hill some guys with Piston DNA. Hire Wallace x 2 to provide some toughness in the middle during training camp.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You know who else would be a good big man coach to teach attitude and toughness...

9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

George Karl.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I really liked Grant Hill as a Piston, but I don't think of him having Piston DNA.

When I think of Piston DNA, I think of goin' to work, bad boys, chip on your shoulder, no respect, etc.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You are still thinking about the Teal Tainted Piston years where our only identity was allstar GHill and the losses associated with him...he was the Barry Sanders of the Palace Auburn Hills.....

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for this all-night negotiation royale between Dumars and Cheeks. The leveraging, the bluffing, the table pounding... must be epic.

"I can offer you free coffee for life and..."

"I'LL TAKE IT!!!"

TheeTFD and S.J. like this.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

We should have a contest where we try and predict Blaha's season opening remarks on Cheeks.

14. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Why does everyone seem so down about Mo Cheeks? Yes, he's not the big name coach like Shaw but that doesn't mean he isn't a good coach. If you really look at the teams he's coached, you'll see that each team has impoved defensively as a unit and more importantly he has helped developed volatile point guards into great players.

Think about it for a second.. He'll finally have a player who is willing to work hard and learn in Brandon Knight for the first time in his coaching career. Think about the possibilities! Also, his early playoff exits shouldn't discredit him either. Records don't always define a great coach. Heck, Chuck Daly had a terrible record in Clevealand before the Pistons picked him up.

My only wish now is that he picks up an assistant coach that will help develop Monroe and Drummond into the next Twin Tower. Heck, if I were him I would contact Hakeem Olajuwon and offer him a coaching job. But I can only dream :D

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

After reading the DetNews this AM it's amazing to me is that the Pistons aren't looking for a coach who will improve the offense or defense, but they're still searching for a guy " who won't lose the locker room."

Larry, Mo and ???

17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe this could work out with a good assistant coaches, like with Mark Jackson and Golden State? I'm trying to rationalize this for myself.

18. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

JD just doesn't care anymore. He needed to leave his comfort zone and instead, he hires his NBA brother............

19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Who should he have hired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

When people feel threatened, they get conservative. I liked to contrast Frank vs. Saunders. Both seemed to be system or principle coaches. Both had ideas of probing the defense, shifting the ball to the weak side, etc. The difference is Saunders focused on getting mid range jump shots and Frank considered those shots to be the worst shots to take. Saunders Pistons had high caliber talent but the system proved to be underwhelming in the playoffs. Frank had considerably less to work with and favored inside scoring but the utter lack of perimeter scoring allowed teams to sag off. You can't force the defenses hand if they can sag off and let you swing the ball around. It was great that Maxiell hit those 20" jumpers at the end of the clock but the fact that he was taking those basically showed how ineffective the offense was. The principles were ok. When perimeter scoring clicked (when Stuckey got injured) we were a tough team to beat (not that we were a winning team but they had to work harder to beat us)
    . When teams could sag off we stank. But solid basketball principles do not make you a master tactician. Both coaches seemed mired in the principles; as if doing the same thing over and over would magically work.

The system is only a facilitator; a road map. Its not the vehicle to success. Players have to make adjustments; in intensity, to their attack, to their defense. Coaches need to adjust as well.
    I mentioned in the hire Bill Laimbeer thread that I would prefer a guy that can put some competative fire into the players. I didn't think he lacked x's and o's but I thought was he brought as an instiller of heart was more valuable.

With Cheeks, the only thing I'm reading is that he's good with developing point guards and is a great guy and his team defend better. Hopefully he tabs a great offensive coach and relies on him. The only thing that scares me about it is that he may be considered the coach to finally get rookie Stuckey to turn the corner and we don't jettison the sod.
    I really liked Shaw though.

The Panda, Nemo and raxrets like this.