Oden

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by buddahfan, Dec 23, 2006.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I just can't believe how big this guy is. Horford keeps trying to post GO up and Horford listed at 6"10 245 looks like a friggen midget next to GO. Oden is a monster and he is only a freshman.

:cheerleader:
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Oden is amazing. The only question is if he will become Dikembe Mutombo or Moses Malone. His lack of offensive polish leaves me wondering....
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Darko will kick his ass (welcome to the new DMC thread)
  4. buddahfan

DMC needs to learn to "kick ass" period!!!

:nerd2:
  5. roscoe36

6. buddahfan

I like GO as an NBA center and agree he needs to develop an offensive game.

But yesterday Horford kicked his ass all the way back to Ohio. Horford is an animal on the court. Unbelievable aggressiveness. If only DMC had half that kind of aggressiveness when he was a Piston. Horford just kept taking it to Oden and the final line showed the results.

I was a believer after he and Noah dismantled the Bruins in the title game last year and now I am even more a believer in Horford. Got to be a top 5 lottery pick when he comes out. He wouldn't go ahead of Oden but he won't disappoint anyone who drafts him.

ESPN.com - NCB - Box Score - Ohio State at Florida

:hoops::hoops:
  7. roscoe36

Sam Donnellon | Some don't get to step out at this dance | Daily News | 03/21/2007

I wonder if Darko is any good at "The History of Rock'n Roll"...
  8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I guess i was too smart for college to realize classes like that even existed!:pound: BTW...are yall watching this game? I told my girl OSU was the kind of team that can be losing by 10 with 2 min to go ..and NO worries. Well tonite..29-48 at the half...Right now 79-79 heading down the stretch,..
  9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

osu 85-Tenn 84....gReatgreatgreat game...Oden blocked shot at the buzzer!WOW!!!!!!!!!!!Oden is the deal. Best defensive center Ive ever seen and tahts cause I never saw Russell live.

BEST DEFENSIVE CENTERS EVER:

1. RUSSELL
    2. ODEN
    3. MOURNING
    4. MUTUMBO
    5. OLAJUWON
    6. BEN
    7. ROBINSON
    8. THURMOND
    9. WALTON
    10/ THE JONES BROTHERS
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

great comeback by OSU and good to see that tennesee didn't rollover and played it all the way to the end. Yeah Oden got the block to end the game, but # 2 all time??? He is only 19 or is it 29, either way he can't be anointed to #2 already, give him time to flourish in the NBA vs some veteran ballers...after all..he may wind up being another big man bust in the NBA ala the khandi man, Joe b Carroll, Sam Bowie, Willam Bedford and must I say darkola. I will let you list the biggest busts as you are good at that. :MusicBigGrin:
  11. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I guess I had to be the one to say it, "Oden should stay in school". I have seen a few of the OSU games this season, only a few, but in each game I saw, he wasn't even the best player in the game.

Tonight, he was not important to that win, sitting out a huge amount with fould problems. And the block of that last shot was not going in anyway.

He has a lot of promise but he is not ready to come out yet. IMO
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What a tragedy it would be for him if he stayed in school and got injured. You don't think the kid is mature enough? Look at him.

Besides, they said he took calculus in high school. So, if that is true, he has probably already taken more college-level courses than 90% of his teammates will in 4 years at OSU.

I roomed with a bball player. Trust me, there is no point in him going through another sham school year. His time will be completely filled up with weight-lifting, practice, games, traveling, getting laid, general partying, and video gaming... so he may as well get paid at the same time.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Oden won that game. If OSU had any deficiencies in their game, it was that they didn't go to Greg in the post enough. Take the paycheck, fullfill your destiny.
  14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I'm not sold on Oden (perhaps I have become a cynic since '03) I am completely unimpressed with his rebounding output considering his relative (to the other players on the floor with him) size, which leads me to be only slightly interested when he blocks a shot.

His lack of offensive polish puts my money on "KandiLand" until he proves me otherwise.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Darko and that blue robot thing from the Dodge Truck commercials, maybe.................
  16. lazyberbs

Like I said before, Oden should stay in school. He is seldom even the best player on the floor, and tonight, as is quite often, Conley is the best player for the Buckeyes.
  17. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Well at any rate he is certainly not "NBA ready" as so many keep saying. He's just a bigger taller project for someone. Two years ago everyone was saying Sean May was NBA ready and look what he's had to go though. Adam Morrison. NBA Ready. Not. Bargnani. Not. These guys should all stay in school where they can play instead of sitting on the end of a bench for two years and having to listen to everyone in the media talk about what a disppointment they are. Joaquim Noah is the smart one. Go ahead be a college kid. It's a privileged life.

I haven't watched alot of Oden, but I can say from what I have seen he is boring from a basketball fan point of view. Kevin Durant isn't boring at all.
  18. roscoe36

For such a supposedly deep draft, an idea is based upon the fact that many of the kids coming out this year would have been drafted right out of high school, I'm not super impressed with Oden as the concensus #1.

The thing that I am skeptical about when it comes to him, is that while he has great measurables like size and wingspan, he doesn't seem particularly athletic or quick.

Hasheem Thabeet has the same size, but much more athleticism. And he's probably just as raw as Oden is because from what I have seen, Greg doesn't have much of an offensive game.
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

All you cats calling for Oden to stay in school are being very sentimental. Sure, college can be fun, but it's also stressful and expensive. 4 years trying to figure out how to pay the bills, balance employment, schoolwork, and athletics. When you are all done, you enter the job market with little experience and (for many people) lots of debt. The best thing about college for Mr. Oden is the chance to play for the NCAA title, which he will be doing even if he doesn't return.

If Greg goes to the NBA as the first pick, he will make millions of dollars. Even if he completely sucks, and his foot falls off, and he goes blind, he will still have millions of dollars.

Worst case, he fails out of the NBA and returns to college as a 23 year old multi-millionaire sophmore. That sounds like a lot of fun to me.

:)
  20. lazyberbs

I like your thinking, linwood. :cheerleader: :cheers: :party2: :graduate: