NY Knicks March 11th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Who goes up for a jump ball with a closed fist except Amir?
  2. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Didn't they learn anything from the 04 Finals?? Immediately foul as soon as the ball is in the player's hands for crying out loud!!!!!!!
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Was it Walter Hermann's closed fist?

I'm trying to rearrange things so the appropriate scapegoats are catching heck...
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Who cleans up his mistakes so well, except Amir? After they got the jump ball, Amir blocked the ensuing shot, and we got the ball. No harm done.

PS, in contrast, when was the last time Herrmann cleaned up anyone else's mistakes? In other words, when was the last time he actually got to any defensive play at all?
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Amir actually back-handed the ball to the Knicks. But you're right, he cleaned up his mistake nicely tonight...instead of with a stupid foul.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We started out well in the first quarter, with a power forward and a center in the game. 10 points given up in the first 6 minutes. But then we paired up Kwame and Dyess, for about 3 minutes, giving up 14 points.

And then we had Herrmann out there quite a bit, and that don't count as it just gives us 4 guys playing defense.

Toward the end of the game, that hardly counts, as you have old ancient of days playing with near 40 minutes on his legs. Dyess with 40 minutes on his legs - thats not a center - thats road kill.
  7. roscoe36

I do agree with you a lot lately lee, and I do agree that running Dice that hard for 40 minutes is a bad idea.

But boy did he ever play a heck of a game. He's 33 or 34 or something, and that's a night that would make a lot of guys' careers. Was fun to watch. A bit of a shame that Rip had that late foul, and Hughes picks that moment to shine with his free throws.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

As mentioned, that was a bad coaching move. You foul the guy early, so he can only make 2 free throws. Pretty simple. PS, my writeup was in direct response to someone else on another board, who directly criticized Rip for fouling on the shot. Hey, what, you give a guy an unchallenged 3? Nope, you foul him. Hughes had already hit some threes in the game - its not like it was a poor 3 point shooter, or one who was cold. It was a guy who already had been making them. And it was a guy with height, so trying to block the shot without fouling was not going to be easy. Fouling early was the only good decision.

On Dyess, yes, at first, I was very excited to see Dyess going for a career night in rebounding. But as I realized Curry was never going to spell the guy in the 2nd half, my excitement turned into a sick knot in my stomach, knowing that Curry was messing up yet again.
  9. roscoe36

I think I have posted this before, but tonight was a good example of one of my pet theories.

When Dice has a tremendous game, we lose.

That is no reflection on him. It just seems over the last several seasons, many of his herculean efforts have been wasted. I can remember several playoff games where he was beasting, and we came up just a wee bit short.

I feel bad for him. He's like the hero in a Shakespearean tragedy.
  10. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Tough loss. Magnificent game from Dyess and he deserved better.

There is no offensive structure with this team and if open for a minute, then shoot. When was the last time 4 starters put up over 20 shots per game?

At 5-9, what we saw was the parting of the sea. Some might get an idea what AI looks like from the other team. They are quick and intense...kinda like their coach. This game will give them a big boast.

Where did JMax go?

Nate did not out-jump Amir and if you noticed that the ball thrown from the official was about 3 feet behind Nate...Amir couldn't ever curl the ball backward. Officials need Practice! We'll taking about Practice!

If the pistons make the playoffs, they won't get this type of slap-happy shots from the higher teams.

I will be definitely disappointed if Blakey doesn't mention the win situation of the team with AI out, which is always used to feather-out his perceptive writings.
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Easy game to review. Knicks vamped up the Defense and shut Rip down. The Piston offense was helpless without Sheed either on the post or with the three ball. Pistons were 1 for 9 at three ball. Knicks 10 for 32. A three beats the two very often in this league. The Piston offense has one gear in it: the mid-range shot--especially without Sheed. The personnel is not there for a consistent three ball threat.

Amir, JMax and Kwame made a combined 7 points in a combined 52 minutes. That will not get it done and I hope Joe is taking notes. It is not as if the defense was good--it was very bad lead by penetration by the Knicks. Very little in terms of rotations as well. JMax had 2 boards in 26 minutes. Old guy Dyss still far outplays the young bigs but how long can the team expect that from him. As I have posted before, sooner or later the young bigs need to put up some consistent numbers.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

OK now that I got my mother in law off the phone let me count the ways this BS game upset me...

Amir looked like a freshman out there for one stretch with two Turnovers and foul in 30 second span. Max got out jumped out shot and out hustled and out played out positioned by Lee...while the two were in there. Dyess did his part, but 18 boards and 16 pts in the paint by Lee compared to Max's 3 pts and 2 boards.:mad: .

Back to Dyess >>>a wasted performance with 21 and 22....dude was just in there to long and you almost knew he and Prince would not last in OT.

As good at Stuckey was with his 23 pts and 8 dimes. and 8 boards..Nate was better...30 pts and energy to boot

Rip had 27 pts, 9 brds and 8 turnovers??? almost a negative triple double. His biggest non-counted turnover was the foul in regulation??? Everybody in NBA-TV Land knew the Knicks were going to shoot the three......We would have been better if MC had tried the hack-a-lee play...even though they could have chosen anybody to shoot. Still that is either 2 FT shots...or just let him shoot to see if would have missed it....if he made it then Rip is still the goat cause he didn't foul him when he received the ball.

Walley World Hermann:mad: Was it me or did that 10 pt lead at the beginning of the 4th disappear as soon as he swaggered his poneytail on to the floor???:nod: 4 pts, 2 boards and one of the biggest and stupidest turnovers of the game running over Nate on a fastbreak instead of making an easy pass to Rip on a 2 on 1....

Disappointing loss after beating three division leaders this month, In fact that's two losses to a team who's biggest star is a sixth man off the bench named Nate..

If David Lee is FA this summer I'd say make him an offer as he is better than any big man we have other than Dyess in my opinion....maybe even better Boozer at this point.. then again maybe our guys just made Lee look good??

Meaningless stats
    Turnovers > NY 3 Pistons 15
    Points/Paint NY 58 Pistons 42
    Three balls NY 10-32, Pistons 1-9
    rebounds NY >39 Pistons > 64
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre, thank you for putting some of the problems into light. Lee was better than any of our big men save for Dyss tonight you point out. The Piston future is not Dyss and Sheed so where is the future of the team in the front court?
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

lapiston,,,,everyone knows that Max, Amir and Kwame are over their heads in the NBA and are journeymen at best. Both Dyess and Sheed have seen their better days and both should be the 2nd man off the bench next year wherever that play......So if anything, we need to grab at least two front men in THIS off season to play with Tay next year unless we swap him for a big and lil with penetrating skills.
  15. roscoe36

I saw this posted by Lee on the News and had to repost it here.

Priceless. Thanks for the laugh. :good:
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Now do you believe me that Dyess steals rebounds?

Again, I'm not criticizing Dyess at all. He goes after every rebound hard, the way that a player should. We just have younger players and Sheed, who defer to him on the boards a lot. If those other guys went harder for some of the mutual rebound opportunities, their stats would be better, but our overall ream rebounding would be about the same (it is already good). It's more of a phenomenon than something than matters.

Pretty fun game to watch. The Knicks were actually playing some active defense, especially on Rip in the 2nd half.

3 turnovers for NY? That has to be an overtime record, doesn't it? The Knicks are usually such a loose, fast paced team that 3 turnovers seems like the most unlikely stat in the World. 24 second violation, offensive foul, 3 in the key... none of those? Amazing, no wonder they had a chance to win.

Not only was the Rip foul unfortunate, but there were some devastating calls that went against us too. The Dyess block where they called a touch foul on Tay???? And then the phantom foul that Hughes got???? Strange.

But on the Rip play, Hughes was set and was going to get off a good shot. If we weren't going to go for the non-shooting foul early, then I'm arguing that Rip made the right play by trying to contest the shot.

Here's why. Hughes is a .487 three point shooter this year. That average contains all sorts of things, open shots, contested shots, desperation heaves, etc. So, if Rip let Hughes shoot it, Hughes would have had at least a .487 chance of tying the game, and probably more likely a >.500 chance if left open.

Hughes is a .793 FT shooter. So, even if Rip fouls Hughes (which he did by accident), the odds of him making all 3 free throws was .793^3, which = .499.

The best scenario would have been to contest the shot and turn it into a .300 chance, which is what Rip tried to do. Fouling him on the shot was just as bad an outcome as intentionally not fouling him on the shot.

Comitting a non-shooting foul would have also been viable, although I don't like that as much, because it brings losing in regulation into the equation.

Capeesh?
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

I know a lot of people like Lee, but numbers aside I never watch the guy and think I'm watching a dominant performance.

I don't think you can blame Amir for those turnovers. I don't know A.) why they had him standing out at the 3 pt line and B.) why they would ever pass him the ball on offense.

Ditto for Walt. That was the pass that killed him. Aside from fouling more 3 pt shooters on game winning shots than anyone else, DET's other claim to fame is badly mangled fast breaks.

Afflalo got a few seconds so that is good.

This one might have locked up the 6th seed.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Moves like that are why you run this place.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

He had a steal and often chases down many long rebounds or loose balls.
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Curry = Dumb MFer

Thanks for listening.