Novice League Banter

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by Slippy, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

outnumbered?? 7 players to 6 since mopete and tim thomas didn't even play for me, and i'm sitting pretty at 6-3. your namby pambies didn't even record a block!!

writeups and predictions and everything else will come tomorrow now that work has died down and i have some time for this :O
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

After tonight TWO things will have died on you. Work AND your team.
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:winner_first_h4h:Congratulations to Darth Tater:darthvader: for the REPEAT! victory:victory: in Novice League!:party2: The Force was very much with you for the playoffs! :deathstar1:

And I know how much time you spent on your team, because I kept looking for guys to take for my third place round with Slippy. My chosen scrubs disappeared faster than I could click ADD PLAYER! :typing::rolleyes:

You and I were right next to each other down in the middle third for most of the season. We kind of inched our way up through the standings, but I didn't think you'd go all the way to the Novice title!:first:

I wouldn't have thought you could do it, until I saw you do it!:dizzy2:
    :dancingparty:

P.S. I'll be looking for you next year. This was my rookie season.:third: so you better watch your back Darth Tater. You know how singleminded I can be!:drama:
  4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was sure wether regular season dominator Warthog or Slippy would win it all. Tater constantly improved his team and kept looking for players who put up surprisingly good performances and in the end it paid off.
    Still, I enjoyed my rookie season. I've learned quite something (especially how much injuries can hurt a team and how unimportant draft day can be if you keep looking for surprising players).
    But I still wonder if Tater would've forgotten to pick up G Wallace if I hadn't remembered him via forum. :MusicBigGrin:
  5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Tater won the last ten days without G Wallace or Arenas. And he scored 1066 points without those big scorers. I think that's pretty great and shows that you don't have to have superstars and a fantastic draft. I did okay, and the only stars I had were Dirk and Jason Kidd. I thought I had a star in Diaw, but my lord what a disaster he turned out to be and I held on to him all season.

I didn't realize this was your rookie season too Ralphie. Do you think you'll play next year? This was my first year and it was fun but very frustrating too at times. The injuries make me tear my hair out. It's a recipe for frustration unless I can remember that it's supposed to be fun. Still I'm bummed that it's all over. LOL.
  6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Definetely! I really enjoyed fantasy basketball although your team beat me in the playoffs :)
    I had only one star in Wade, maybe in Ben Wallace. 2 improving players in Butler and Howard. It's such a fun to drop and add players and ride the hot hands (which Tater did pretty good).
    Congratulations Tater!
  7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Advanced and Novice League Champs repeat. Pretty cool.

Looks like we both got titles this year Tater. Good job, my apprentice! :)
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Thanks Ralphi. Your team was doing really well until injuries caught up with you.

I was teasing about Gerald Wallace so you can quit torturing yourself with thoughts that you blew it. I was going to pick him up anyhow, so you "reminding" me had nothing to do with it.:)

Yes, I love scoping out the waiver wire and watching as many guys as possible play every day. That's what it's all about, isn't it? I'm glad fantasy hockey (my first love) ended so I could finally devote a bit of attention to my basketball team.

Next year if we have a novice league I'll be giving up my title. I want to show Mo, #1 and the rest how the game is really played! My team kinda laid in the weeds all year like a hungry pike. Those last minute injuries to my super studs Wallace and Arenas scared me, but no use crying about it...instead I found a way to overcome. :)

Thanks also to Kim and Mo for offering their congratulations. Congratulations to you too Kim for beating tough Slippy and Ralphi teams to grab the thrd place trophy in your rookie campaign.
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'll play again but i'd honestly prefer if rosters were locked for the playoffs or the # of moves were limited.
  10. MotownPride

I hear ya Warthog, but honestly I think you might be looking at this the wrong way. If you factor in the amount of DNPs by star players that manifest the last 3 weeks of the season it becomes obvious that intense player movement is required to solidify a victory. I'm not sure how the Novice League was configured, but I generally put a 99 move maximum on for the entire season. If some one plays the waiver game the entire season, they eventually run out of moves. The amount of progress they can make with that stragegy is minimized by a healthy amount of GMs (around 14) and a 2 day waiver period. In my opinion the best GMs are the ones that remain active throughout the entire season and don't just ride a hot hand the entire way. This makes the championship weeks interesting as the best/agressive GM typically wins. Its a leveled playing field where strategy wins out. It would be cool if you could win with the players that got you to the big dance, but the reality is that doing so is almost next to impossible. Only seen it happen maybe once or twice. I think you may have been to attached to your players in the end. There were at least 15-20 players that heated up more than the usual cast of characters the past couple of weeks. If you missed out on those, you probably cost yourself a ring.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I agree. You draft to get to the dance and play the WW for the 'ship. great plays guys.
  12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i disagree, but whatever. 100 moves (like we had this season) is way, way, way too many. if you guys think using 30 different players in your final matchup is perfectly okay, well then i suggest we have a roto league next year.

or, if this option is configurable, start the playoffs a month early so tanking and DNPs aren't such a factor.
  13. MotownPride

Starting the playoffs earlier is not an option. I wish it was. I almost don't like the playoffs at all as I think that the regular season is more indicative as to who played the best during the year, but thats not an option with Yahoo either. Roto leagues are just not as fun as head to head. So, I don't really like that option either. Again, I understand your frustration but the reality is that given the Head to Head format, player stacking is a tactic you have to counter attack in the playoffs. All someone would have to do is save 20 moves for the playoffs to deploy the strategy. Its unavoidable. Being stuck with no moves while all your players decide to sit out the rest of the season is a worst fate. At least the former gives you an opportunity to compete. I've lost and complained about that strategy many times before I got wise to it and calculated that into my gameplan in the playoffs.