November's tough schedule

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Sanddunes, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Sanddunes

Sanddunes First Round Draft Pick

The Pistons play 13 games in November, with 8 on the road and 4 back to back games. The road games include 5 with western conference teams. Considering this tough schedule and the fact that they will be working with a new coach and new offense, what do you think their November record will be? I say 8/5.

And looking at Indiana's schedule, I think Indiana will have a 2 or 3 game lead on the Pistons at the end of November.
  2. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

Yes it's tough, but

Yeah, this will be a tough month, but it's a great test for the bench. I believe Flip will use the bench to keep the starters fresh, and we'll win more games than we would have burning the starters at 40+ mpg.

Time will tell, but I'm really anxious to see this bench in some real games. Darko picked a good year to stop smoking(still need confirmation from Don).
  3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

jeesh, that is tough. It will be pretty difficult to come out the gate strong with a schedule like that. I'll go out on a limb and say that they still will accumulate a good record. The depth on the bench this year will make those back to backs a little more bearable. 10-3.
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I've got to say 9-4, or 10-3. December is pretty easy we take on Miami, San antonio, and Cleveland but every other game should be a blowout check for yourself. Also I see us being very aggresive out of the gate this season so even though we have a challenge I think we'll take care of it just fine.
  5. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Ordinarily I would be glad

If we were not trying to completely change the way the team plays basketball and not breaking in a new coach, I would love the tough early schedule. But with all that happening, I am ambivalent about it.

If anything, I do believe that we will come out of it above 500% and I am happy to see the very real probability of the bench to get some good work, but I would rather have seen them have a chance to get a running start coming out of the gate; like start the season about 10-2.

I have always felt that if we get a tough stretch out of the way early, it sets up the season well, but I would have liked to see the bench get some steady minutes before starting such a tough stretch. Also, they will have those games on foreign floors.

Oh well, nothing to do but go out there and kick some butt!! :mad: :eyebrows:
  6. max

max All-Star

Schedule

The West coast trip looks tough but there will be 20 back-back sequences this year. 40 of the Pistons 82 games will be played like that so they better get used to it.
  7. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Considering the schedule, how do you see the Piston's win tally??
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I see it better than the last 2 years because I see this team doing very well early in the eason, not only late. Also these back to backs will be a lot easier with us using the bench this time.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Anybody know a teams win % vs home then road then back to back? You know for recreational purposes. Usually a good team is about .700 wins at home, maybe .550 on the road and .400 on the second night of back to back.
  10. max

max All-Star

Good Question

Last year we were 12-9 on the 2nd game of back-backs. Thats just me scanning the schedule. Can assume an equal balance of home and away games.

The bench will help. back-backs did not seem to be much of a factor until last season. But in the 1st pre-season back-back the starters did awful.
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

8-5 would be fine.... 1-2 on the first West trip and 0-2 in Texas (Dallas & Houston) would be nothing to be ashamed of... it's the kind of results most teams should expect against those teams on the road.

I'm curious to see if there's any drop off in our young bench's performance on the road... maybe the last couple of preseason games will be a clue.
    We may have to work through some maturity issues the first month... just gotta stay the course and let em get thru the growing pains.
  12. max

max All-Star

early trip

There may be an advantage though in an early west-coast trip. All the players will be fresh and fatigue is the main problem with a long road trip.
  13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

The Pistons schedule seems awfully tough. Is it atypical? If so, was it coincidence do you think? Is it paranoia to think the NBA office did it on purpose? I'm not sure what to think on this.
  14. max

max All-Star

scheduling

The scheduling is determined when teams submit available dates for games. Then the league sends back their schedule to the team for approval.

Blame the back-backs and such on Palace management trying to squeeze in as many non-Pistons events as possible during the season.

This was one of the issues Rick Carlisle had with management.
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Good to know it's just plain old greed rather than conspiracy. :ohwell:
  16. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

November Schedule

I haven't studied the teams on our November schedule, but I suspect that many of them are working through more drastic change than we are.

Sure we've got a new coach and we're tinkering with the offensive and defensive systems. But most other teams are going through their own versions of the same changes. At least we're not going through a complete roster overhaul - we're starting the same five guys. How many of the teams we play in month #1 can say the same?
  17. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Hard or not

Tough or easy, I expect the Pistons to work through it and come out winning. Maybe room for adjustment on the first few games especially adjusting to Flip's system and lineups but I believe will end up with a good record. How about 10-3? Sounds good....
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

back2back

The back to backs will just force us to do something that we should do anyways... play more than 8 players. The Bulls did it last year and they really overachieved.
  19. max

max All-Star

Not Many

Plus we still have our 6th man - Dyess. Still have Arroyo and Hunter will be back. Thats actually the top 3 subs from last season.

Great situation for Flip getting a complete team right off.
  20. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

It's a Bear

I'd also take 8-5. I'd be thrilled with 9-4.

Last year I would've been happy to get the tough games out of the way early. This year, with a new coach and system, I'm not crazy about it.

If I'm not mistaken, though, Indy doesn't exactly have it easy either, and apparently they'll be without Foster early. Could be a problem because their depth at the 4/5 isn't anywhere close to what ours is.