1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

NJ Nets April 10 8PM

Discussion in 'April 2009' started by max, Apr 6, 2009.

1. max

max All-Star

NJ Nets April 10th, 8 PM
    TV - FS Detroit
    Radio WDFN 1130

Pistons look to tie up the seasonal series against the Nets on the last Frdiay night game of the regular season.

2. max

max All-Star

There is a game tonight. I am going to this one. Piston basketball has gotten more interesting lately. Its as if they have come to terms with being a low seed and are focused on beating out Chic for the 7th.

Pistons are currently 0.5 games behind the Bulls.

3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Have a good time!

Make sure to relay all our heartfelt messages to Curry LOL

4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yeah, bring a sign. You might end up on TV.

5. detteam

detteam All-Star

I suggest

[sign]Go MC Hammerless![/sign]

And the flip side could say

[sign]
    Seriously, please go
    [/sign]

6. slowfall

slowfall First Round Draft Pick

I feel really good about this game.

Pistons by 12.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thanks for posting slowfall! I thought the game was at 7:30 and because you bumped it, I see I still have another hour! :laugh:

8. slowfall

slowfall First Round Draft Pick

I'm trying to build the excitement early! so everyone shows up to chat. :thumb:

9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

C'mon roscoe. You know that Friday night games at the Palace always start at 8:00 EST. :nono:

10. roscoe36

11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

bench overachieved and starters underachieved. Tough choices for MC.

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Piston bench scores all 27 points in the second qtr to give them a 16 point halftime lead. Starters get the lead up to 20 in the third, but then Curry forgets about the clock and plays the starters the whole 3rd qtr and just like that the lead drops to 8 and the pistons end the qtr with only a 10 pts lead.

The bench comes in to start the 4th, and the lead drops to 6 before Will Bynum sparks a rally scoring 7 pts and the lead is up to 13. The rest the game is anxious as Pistons hold and Rip hits a big 3 to seal the deal.

Pistons make the playoffs for the 8th straight year and now are one game behind Philly (and tied the Bulls) for the sixth spot. if we win out and Philly loses their remaining 3, guess who the Magic might see in the first round...yep the Pistons in the 3 vs 6 spot

13. max

max All-Star

Very energetic crowd today in the near sellout. Hamilton looked off, Sheed looked a lot better. Afflalo and Herman were great off the bench and as usual Bynum saved the day at backup point.

Little close near the end there, then again this is one of those years where no lead is safe. Nice win. Just may break .500 yet.

14. roscoe36

Sorry I missed the end of chat folks. My mom called. :o

15. roscoe36

I need to see the leecap on this one. I can't believe not much is being said about another win.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We are in the playoffs. Don't know what Charlotte did, but it does not matter as we took care of business ourselves.

And the best part: without badly overplaying our players. Our bench played most of the 2nd, and most of the 4th. I did sincerely wonder though what was up with Dyess playing the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half.

Rip and Tay came back for the last few minutes of the game, and Sheed finished the 2nd quarter with the bench. Stuckey also played some 4th quarter minutes.

We play again tomorrow night. This was one of the very rare games where Curry managed to limit the starters minutes on the front of a back to back; and we got the win too.

Bynum scored 20. His last 3 on a triple, his 2nd of the night, on a pass from Stuckey after Stuckey got to the basket. Bynum has that outside shot going great. Something that few expected in after his first several games for us. But one day, Bynum came up with a good shooting game, and wow, he has put up quite a few more since. And he got rigth to the basket enough too.

Stuckey was not bad. He helped for instance to keep Harris to 1 point tonight. Stuckey made a couple of conventional 3 point plays where he played thru major contact. The 2nd bit of contact described as a tackle.

Rip did not shoot much, but got a lot of assists, and hit that triple late to help seal the deal. He also hooked up with Tay for a nice inbounds play. Spoiled a bit since Rip only made 1 of 2 free throws from the play. Still, we just needed some scoring. And we got it.

Afflalo, as usual, played fine D. And he hit all his shots.

Herrmann was indeed out there while we held NJ to 0-10 in the 2nd quarter. But hey, that was fine D being played by Afflalo, Bynum, JMAX, and Kwame / Sheed. Herrmann still managed to give up more points than he scored for us. He did have the nice up fake on a triple try. In the 2nd half, as the game was getting a bit tight there, Curry went with Afflalo as the backup for Tay. Good choice. Make the other team earn all their points.

Sheed hit three triples in the first. Too little from the post from him, although he did get mad at one point and decided to score a hoop closer in. Now, while Sheed is a fine defensive player, the duo of him and Dyess looked terrible in the 2nd quarter, getting constantly punked out by quicker players around the basket. NJ got back into the game in the 2nd primarily due to this poor choice for a starting duo at center / pf.

I doubt Dyess ended up positive for the game. Not that he can't play. Far from it. But he got paired with Sheed too much. He hit plenty of jumpers, but hey, I truly do like seeing excellent defense, like when JMAX was paired with Sheed or Kwmame in this game. (Won't say the pairing of Dyess / JMAX was so great to start the 4th, as I think Dyess was exhausted at that point.)

Kwame had a poor night at the line. But hey, he was at the line often. He probably helped win the game as much as any Piston, as he neutralized their strong inside scorer (Lopez) by simply getting him into foul trouble. Kwame got to close out the game. Another good choice by Curry, letting the young guy do the work, while his older players get some badly needed rest.

Rip had plenty of assists. Stuckey too.

Can't remember much from Tay. A backdown here and there. A made midrange jumper. Carter was held in check very well.

JMAX was all over the offensive glass, made a midrange jumper, and received alley oops, one each from Bynum and Stuckey, for slams. And he is a whirlwind on D. And he gets back very well in transition - even despite the fact that he always manages to contend for the offensive rebound before heading back down to the other end. Active does not begin to describe his play. I like what the announcers said. You better come to play, cause JMAX sure has come to play.

Amir did not play. Absolutely there is plenty of room for him though. Like playing small forward instead of Herrmann. Like getting paired up with Sheed like he should be rather than Dyess. (Cause, guess what, like I have said a hundred times now, Sheed and Dyess are a horrible pair of bigs when it comes to covering the area around the basket. Our no fly zone has now become the preferred airport.

Sharpe did not get to play as our starters took what was looking like a blowout and gave NJ every chance to get right back into the game. But now, hey, they did keep a 20 point lead well into the 3rd quarter. But Curry made no subs. Not a single one. He was forced to sub in the first quarter due to foul trouble on Dyess. And he brought in Bynum early. But the 3rd? He just sat and watched the lead dwindle. But he made up for it by leaving the bench in for the 4th. I guess you could put this positive spin on this: It gave our bench some serious crunch time experience.

That triple Rip made. Hey, that was good clock management, good execution. Run the clock out. Make the triple. Pretty much iced the game right there. That looked like a well coached team on that play.

Of note. Herrmann only subbed directly for Tay in this game. So just like Ham once upon a time subbing for Tay, it gave Tay rest even though the player doing the subbing was not very good. But take Heed, Mr. Curry, I have seen this mistake go down before. No actual backup for Tay, when the playoffs come around, will mean Tay wears out thru the playoffs. If you plan to go far in the playoffs, you had better get an actual backup for Tay. In 2004, Corliss was Tay's back up when he sat - and Corliss could score inside. Adding post up play is a decent excuse for letting a poor defensive player like Corliss play. Herrmann is just another outside shooter. We got plenty of them. Get another solution for backup small forward going into the playoffs, or you repeat last year, where Hayes could not play D, and ended up not resting Tay when Tay needed the rest.

You know I like Afflalo a lot, but sometimes he is not the answer. Sometimes he to short for the job. Play Sheed, JMAX, and Amir as a front line. It will completely solve your problems at backup small forward.

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Herrmann led the team with a +9 tonight. He didn't shoot much, but his defense was in fact pretty darn good. He did a nice job rebounding with 6 boards in 12 minutes.

18. roscoe36

Thanks Lee and Bill.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Did Curry have money on the game tonight? I have not been a hardline fire Curry guy, but I would have fired him immediately after this game had they lost. I don't see how anyone associated with the team can have confidence in him after this one.

Teams lose big leads, that's not that big of a deal. The Pistons got a little lax midway through the 3rd and NJ went on a 7-0 or so run to cut the lead to 13. No timeout was called.

NJ cut it to 10 and no timeout was called.

NJ cut it to 8 and no timeout was called.

A timeout was finally called with 8-9 minutes to go in the 4th, I think.

This is what will and has doomed the Pistons the last few years. They don't run an offense. They putz around out there repeatedly dipping their toe in the pool but never jumping in. They hit a cold spell (if you can call half the game a spell) and decide to post up Tay who started at the low box but ends up inches from the sideline before he catches it, wastes 10 more seconds before leaving his shot short.

There was no need for this tonight. This was a Bernie Lomax special. Curry couldn't have left me feeling worse if he was deciding who to play by randomly drawing names from a drum and muttering I thought it was going to be Dyess and Sheed this time, I was due! while he sent in Amir and Sharpe to close out the game.

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Walt tapes pictures of Amir in his pony tail and it scares the opposition from driving on him.