Home New York Knicks Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Jennings didn't force it.

KCP was firing out there. Not a great % but I like the aggression.

Smoove is a seriously good player. Ill happily take 20/5/5 from him every night. If he pulls his 3pa/game down to 3-4, Ill be happy.
    del, roscoe36 and KGREG like this.
  2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Good win. The defense stayed solid. As LA Dre said, this is not a team that will consistently win with games over 100.

Sometimes you just have to hit shots. At one stretch in the second quarter, Pope missed two wide open looks, then another, and Andre missed 5 straight free throws. I say to myself, these guys are young and you can't count on their shot. We go in the half even instead of up 10. Then, in the 3rd, Pope hits 2 threes and Singler hit one later. No you can't make them all but Piston shooting is something that Dumars will have to monitor.

I don't mind saying the Stuckey looked like a real NBA player in this game. He tried on defense and he was a whirlwind on offense. No, he probably is not a go-to shooter in crunch time but he looked real. This is the 3rd time at least in 10 games he has helped out. A big improvement from the past.

As Lee said, the front line was solid. I am worried about Andre's free throws. He is not even standing on the line.

I liked the minutes for Siva also and would like to at least see what he can do giving him some Bynum minutes. Bynum can be used to speed up grinding type games in short 3-4 minutes spurts.

I worry when Singler is on the floor. He has a place on the team somewhere but he has been more negative than positive.

The team did not score well down the stretch. That will be an issue in close games. I thought Jennings should have been brought in. But it did work out this time. Don't want Jennings taking 20 shots but don't want him taking only 3 either.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good writeup. It says in the article for ESPN on the game, that Jennings had stomach trouble.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Wins are always more fun.
    Jennings was a little ill tonight, but he played one of his best games. RUN THE OFFENSE! He was too sick to dribble, dribble, dribble and chuck away perimeter bombs, so instead he brought the ball up and INITIATED the offense!!! And as long as we ran our offense, we got good shots.
    I Love watching KCP play defense, usually that's the last part of a young players game but this kid is SPECIAL! And not just his man to man defense, watch how he helps, rotates, digs and recovers.....it really is a thing of beauty to watch, if the refs ever start to give him the benefit of the doubt defensively watch out! He also had the stroke going tonight....even though he was 4/12.....2 shots were end of shot-clock shots, 2 rimmed out and 3 were WTH are you doing head scratchers.
    Monroe was solid, although he got beat like an African Drum in the early going by Bargnani, but he eventually locked in and redemmed himself as the game went on.
    Dre was Dre.......he still has too many defensive lapses. We NEED him to be a defensive force like Hibbert and Tyson Chandler......he has a loooong way to go, but he'll get there. He showed improvement tonight.
    Smoove was smooth the box score tells the whole story.
    Stuckey was the man!! Dude was ballin'!!! Will it last? So far in 8 games he's played really excellent in 3 of them, solid in 3 others and in the other 2 he was....Stuckey. He's gaining confidence in his pull up jumper which is limiting his collisions. A very good game.
    Siva stunk, but the lineup he was playing with stunk even more.
    I'll be glad when Singler is Wilson Chandler or Jeff Green.
    I like how Cheeks benched Brandon to end the game, he went with Stuckey and Pope and we were able to get stops down the stretch. Brandon is the epitome of a ball watcher on defense, he's just loses his focus and at times left his man wide open, or let a 56 year old Prigioni blow walk by him to the hoop.
    Let's get this Atlanta WIN!!!!
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Knicks kind of stink without Felton, Artest, and Chandler. Kenyon Martin and Amare Staudemire after double knees surgery isn't a very intimidating combo.

We turned the ball over 15 times, shot multiple airballs and bad bricks, and only gave up TWO fast break points! And I thought NY was a team that liked to run. So it is possible that the Pistons made an adjustment? Based on watching the game as a fan without analyzing, it felt to me like it was more that NY just wasn't pushing the ball for some reason, despite having opportunities to do so.

Also, 3 over and backs in the same game for us. That is relatively rare and pathetic since NY wasn't playing great defense.

It was interesting getting a look at Siva in real action. His defensive talent appears to be there and I was daydreaming about seeing him and Pope in full denial mode on the perimeter in a tense game. Both of these guys put forth full effort and intelligently deal with screens when they're defending... fun to watch. On offense though, he was playing it too safe, which was probably a self preservation type decision by him. I would have liked to see him get into attack mode and feed the beast like he was doing in the post season. When the coach puts you in as a rookie (that should be in the D-league) when we have the lead, it's understandable that he didn't want to be the one to directly screw things up.

Overall, I thought that all of our starters as a whole were efficient. 63 points on 49 FG attempts 1.29 pps. Our bench was really efficient at 1.38 pps (thanks to Stuckey and his 5-5 FTs).

Turnovers, rebounding, steals, blocks, and assists were all basically a push. We got a little lucky when Melo missed an open three pointer with under 2:00 left that would have cut the game to 2 points. We also got lucky throughout as NY missed many shots that our previous opponents were pouring in, even with the same level of defensive pressure. NY missed a bunch of layups/ shots in the paint and open 3-pointers.

Bottom line- W. The goal is really to make it to the playoffs this year, so every win against a bad team is valuable and will buy us time to actually improve.
    brofmfa, Lee356, Mark V and 1 other person like this.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Erns don't come here after a loss. At least don't read all the posts.
  7. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

I really thought Melo was gonna have a picnic with our defense today. Early on, it looked like he was going to drop 40 on us but then J. Smoove shut him down in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. That was a fun matchup to watch, needless to say.

Ps

Am I bad person for starting to lean towards keeping Stuckey? He's been playing really well so far and like someone posted here before, he's starting to play like top 5 sixth man
    roscoe36 likes this.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

HEY WE WON ANOTHER GAME
    raw36, dba, brofmfa and 1 other person like this.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey is finding his niche. Seems balanced.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep...I missed it as I had to go in the field today so only heard the Sirius radio version on the drive home with Rick Mahorn and the other dude....almost thought I was a jinx as it was 78-63 when I turned the game on and the Knicks reeled off 7 straight before I could exit the parking garage.

I will watch the game tomorrow morning, but looks like everyone covered the ins and outs. I have one thing to say though without even looking at the game.....if you hold them below 100 you probably win...if you hold them below 90, you definitely win.....DETROIT DEFENSE BAASKETBALLLL!!
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hey, concentrate on just how many points Singler gave up on the defensive end. And point out any reason you might see that Singler is playing for us. Thanks in advance. PS, I note the article I just posted on the game fails to mention Singler's name, even though he was the main backup for our whole front line. Also, what is your gut feeling when you see Singler come in for Drummond?
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Year: points allowed per 100 possessions
    2014: 109.7
    2013: 108.1
    2012: 106.3
    2011: 111.7
    2010: 111.4
    2009: 108.0
    2008: 102.9
    2007: 104.2
    2006: 103.1
    2005: 101.2
    2004: 95.4*
    2003: 99.9

1990: 103.5*
    1989: 100.8*

* ships

First of all, defense wins Championships. Even that 103.5 posted in 1990 was 2nd in the league that year. You have to realize that scoring goes up and down depending on styles of play and rule enforcement.

Now that I have that out of the way, note that our early results this year, which worst in the league, are not as bad as they were in 2010 and 2011. It's also not much worse than last year or 2009. After adjusting for strength of schedule and our West Coast road trip, we're probably even on pace to be better than those years even if we don't improve.
    Our average for the last 4 seasons coming into this one was 109.4 vs the 109.7 that we're sporting so far.

We're bad, but it's not like we just took a huge step backward or anything.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Sounds like the Orphan Stuckey is knockin at the door...lookin for a home.
  15. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

C'mon easy, it's just game.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for always providing great stats for this site!!

I think the Pistons NBA rank in this category for each season would be more impactful than the actual raw data.
    :whoo:
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's doable. I was trying to avoid depressing people though.
  18. BillLaimbeer

My gut tells me our defense REALLY stinks so far this year, but only your data can confirm or refute this theory....
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Your gut is very smart. I just thought we were way worse this year. And it turns out that I just forgot how bad we were previously.
  20. BillLaimbeer

I thought our defense was going to be decent with the big 3 guarding the hoop. The trouble is that KCP is really the only guy defending the perimeter. Plus, our bench defense (Singler, Datome, Jerebko, etc.) is often Washington Generals-like.