Home New York Knicks Thursday Jan 17 2013

Discussion in 'January 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Our players who have played overseas did alright.

Very well attended game. I was glad to see that we had a couple runs to make it single digits for the fans. Too bad it wasn't a close game with an exciting end.

2. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Ah yes, I remember that one - iirc it came before a close loss in NJ in a back to back to back. My most vivid memory of it is that we lost by a lot (brain's saying 30).

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hmm, must have posted in the wrong thread. Here it goes again.

We started out poorly. Singler is the only strong outside shooter on our first unit, and it show. Down 16-2 is no way to start out a game. We did make an adjustment in the 3rd quarter, by using Bynum instead of Knight. And it did produce a run. However, in the long run, is replacing our starting point guard with Bynum the answer. I doubt it. We have got to replace a guy or two in that starting unit not named Brandon Knight. The unit needs more outside shooting.

And then you have our bench. It was doing quite well once upon a time. But now, Bynum is out there every minute our bench is out there. And our bench has not been positive for many games now. Don't want to blame this on Bynum. Blame it on the combination of Stuckey and Bynum in the backcourt at the same time then. Either way, since Bynum has been added back into the mix, while Stuckey is healthy, it has resulted in no production from our bench.

Bynum was minus 6 in this one. Worse, Drummond was minus 12, which means our bench was really, really bad. And its not the play of Drummond, who had a double double with plenty of blocks to. CV is up to his old tricks. One three made and that is it. Daye. Very few shots, no points. Singler did get to play as part of the bench in this one, which is great. But it was Bynum running the point, not Stuckey. Not good. It did not work.

At least the coach showed a bit of willingness to try new things in this game. Monroe and Drummond did get paired up more. But, with his insistance on playing Bynum a full 30 minutes, while there is absolutely no reason to even play him one minute, the rotations were pretty much ineffective all game long. Either no real point guard to set things up, or not enough shooters to spread the floor. Number of minutes with a decent unit on the floor: zero. Terrible coaching.

Monroe nor Knight did anything in this game. Its great that Bynum got a lot of points in this one, but hey, our whole team is out of whack. The rotations need fixing badly - and Frank is showing no sign of wanting to do the job.

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

A game like that could cause some of our international fans at PF who were in attendance, to retire and join the Celtic Forum...........

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Knicks were lucky that they didn't have a long flight.

brofmfa likes this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

British writer mocks Pistons, NBA | Detroit Pistons | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

By the way, if I were the commissioner, I don't think that I would schedule such a bad match-up for the London game. OKC vs Miami or some other can't lose matchup would have been wise. Why not have 2 playoff teams go with name brand players? Maybe a system would be that the previous year's Finals participants are obligated to go to London the next regular season.

Also, in our game against the Knicks, the refs seemed hyper technical. Lane violations, carry calls, touch fouls, etc. It broke the flow of the game completely.

7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Or in plain english:
    The 2012-13 Detroit Pistons:

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That twit can turn a phrase.

linwood likes this.
  9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Pistons were probably chosen because the team may have some name brand recognition from the past championships. Also, you wouldn't want too many contending teams taking that much of a hit on the schedule.

The Pistons go as go the two "franchise" players: Monroe and Knight. Not one bucket from Monroe or Knight or Singler (who scored after I believe) in the 1st quarter. Yes, the starting unit needs changing.

Knight had that great Buck's game but 1 point, 1 assist in a key match up is a sign that he is not ready for prime time. I noticed the coach did cut his minutes. If he is not scoring in that first unit, then his play is generally not positive. But the problem is there is no one credible to step in at the point...

10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed bombs "The Franchise" interview in London.

12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...some observations

- Play of the game: Toward the end of the 1st Q when 4 Pistons starters watched Knicks star Chris Copeland retreve a ball that bounced in between all four of them and calmly walk to the rim and delicately lay it in for a basket. There has never been an easier rebound and put back in the history of organized basketball. Nice work guys!

- Player of the game: Euro-Charlie with some solid .250% shooting. Why he even bothers to walk back down to the defensive end of the floor is beyond me.

- Aside from Andre, Singler and Teen Wolf, Joe could have saved Gorez some cheddar by simply having the rest of the team stay back in the 'D'.

- I swear, Tay plays hard until he gets his 12-15 points and a few rebounds/dimes and then he just phones it in for the rest of the game. LOL at Clyde suggesting that he's a hot commodity on the trade market. I hope a lot of GMs were listening!

- Andre Drummond is good.

- Time for Jerebko to get another look. Seems like the Pistons could use a guy that plays with a least a little bit of energy.

- TRG sighting!!!

- I have a hard time believing that Kevin English can't give the Pistons a better shot at competing than Rodney.

- ...I miss Sheed.

- ...a long plane ride home both figuratively and literally for our Pistons.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Glad you pointed TRG out. This game marks the first game that LF has put him into a game. We're still waiting for him to do it on US soil, but gotta take baby steps so that we don't overwhelm him.

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

15. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Well tbh I was really very dissapointed in the Pistons and while watching indeed the thought "why the *bleep* are you a Piston fan again?" crossed my mind. And at that moment i couldn't really give myself a satisfying answer. I thought Detroit played poor, very sloppy most of the time and not really into the game. Bright spots for me:
    1) Bill Laimbeer was in the building.
    2) Andre Drummond (love to see him play in real life (not on tv)).
    3) Kyle Singler, i though he did a descent job guarding Melo at times and he looks real comfortable on the floor while most Pistins looked confused.

roscoe36 and Nemo like this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Only so much you can do against Melo. He was making J's and drawings F's.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It would have been nice if 'Melo guarded himself by backing down no one in particular like Tay does.

18. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

I think Singler did a better job on Melo then Prince.

BallDon'tLie and roscoe36 like this.
  19. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Btw Sheed was also on the NY bench and during halftime he was really goofing around with some Pistons, especially with Maxiel. They were chest bumping and hugging eachother laughing. I think Sheed still has some Piston feelings.

roscoe36 likes this.
  20. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Well finally get on here to give my wrap up of the night.

Flying out of work, trying to get to the hotel in Canary Wharf and then back to the O2 left very little time - but was lucky to get there in time for the intros. Although it was obvious right from here that if it was anybody's home game, it was the Knicks.

The seats weren't too bad in the end, as I forgot that the O2 stadium goes pretty much straight up after the first section.

Was pleasantly surprised by the number of Pistons fans around though, including some vocal Italians in the same row, and a few English teenagers a few rows in front. They all knew the players well too and like every Pistons fan, were most excited when Drummond came out.

The atmosphere was pretty low key though and not like I'd experienced in the States - but this was to be expected with where we were sat and the mixture of Europeans in the venue.

Misha B, the half time act, was god awful and we were most focussed on why her drummer was wearing a back pack the whole time - thinking maybe something would explode out of it.

To the game though: my girlfriend spent most of the game watching Hooper run around, roll down stairs and play with people and I should have just done the same thing. Missed free throws were a killer and Melo just couldn't miss early on. Not going to get too much into the rest of it, as everybody else has, but I will say I am not as down on BK as everyone else. Seemed like Frank kept putting him and yanking him out at the worst times and he ended up playing less than 20mins.

I will say I was pretty angry with Frank at the end of the game though - he said he wouldn't play JJ just for the family factor, which is fair enough but with 2mins to go and down 15 you could have put him in so that his grandparents and family who had come and hung a huge Swedish flag there could see the FIRST Swedish NBA player play a few minutes. INSTEAD he subs in the one guy he has barely put on the floor in Kravtsov... with Drummond... for what? A run at those 15 points?

brofmfa and copper like this.