1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Away New York Knicks Sunday Nov 25 2012

Discussion in 'November 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Everything Drummond does is with aggression. For the life if me I can't see why they're afraid to play him. You have to account for him when the Pistons are on offense. Sheed couldn't play free safety.

It must have been overwhelming for Drummond to spend the night in Manhattan by himself. It's like Home Alone 6.

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Drummond averaged 28 minutes per game in 34 college games last year.

In the last 4 games, Drummond has averaged 20 minutes per game. The Pistons still have 68 games remaining, twice as many as Drummond played all of last year. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

If the team had a chance to make the playoffs, I may feel slightly different.

coynejeremy likes this.
  3. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

This was some of the most atrocious Pistons defense I've seen. The Knicks were getting wide open looks all game long - I don't know why it was the case, but the Pistons seemed completely unable to rotate, leaving guys open everywhere. It didn't help that NY was hitting everything, of course, but a good defense doesn't just give them those open looks and hope they miss them.

Monroe and Drummond are each playing well, but they're the only consistently productive players on the team and Frank basically subs them in for each other. I get that he's really trying to bring Drummond along (and Drummond didn't have a good game today - 1/6 with 11 rebounds is not good production), but you have to start using the kid right and building him up that way.

To be fair, NY is a terrible matchup for the Pistons (Monroe/Maxiell guarding Anthony?), but they've been a bad matchup for teams all season long. I can understand why he played Villanueva (because they are playing Melo at the 4), but you don't fight with bows and arrows because the other guy brought a gun. At some point, Frank needs to stop responding to other teams' matchups and create mismatches of his own. He's too busy trying to defend the other teams' strengths - he should be trying to play to the strengths THIS team has, and the only strength this team has is the pairing of Monroe/Drummond.

TheeTFD likes this.
  4. BillLaimbeer

I think the CV for Jerebko move was simply because JJ has been playing poorly. I don't think it was because of match-ups. We will know for sure tomorrow.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tayshaun Prince hasn't shot a free throw in 4 games. That's 131 minutes without a free throw attempt.

That has to be some kind of record.

6. BillLaimbeer

That's almost as long as Dumars' streak without making a trade.

roscoe36 likes this.
  7. del

del Team Captain Forum Donor

Exactly, and its not like he has a lot of versatility in the lineup to match other teams. Our strength is we can go big, so bloody well use it! Play JJ at the 3, give Slava minutes.

8. BillLaimbeer

FREE SLAVA!!!!!!!!!

S.J. and basketbills like this.
  9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I wouldnt call 11 rebounds and 3 blocks in 19 minutes bad production.....he was rushing his putbacks in an attempt to avoid being fouled though. Young fella just has to relax on his offensive end, not unlike Monroe did early in his career. Monroe is affraid of being blocked so he speeds it up and Andre is affraid of being fouled and having to hit the ft att. Monroe slowed down and found a rythm...Dre will too.

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

20 turnovers leading to 33 Knick's points..........sounds like we dominated one category anyways.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I just finished watching the game. I also just read Alexa's report. Pretty much on the money.

Here is what I have to add. Stuckey is not a shooting guard. Our starters were even. Stuckey came in for Singler, and wham, down 10 points. In contrast, in the 2nd half, Singler was again in foul trouble, but coach brought in Maggette, an actual shooting guard, and we did just fine. Huge difference in having someone out there who can shoot the 3 with some degree of confindence.

But yet, later, guess what, out trots the Stuckey - Knight combo yet again, with the absolutely predictable, bad results.

Note, our starters came out with an 8 - 0 run to start the 3rd.

Very little of the Monroe / Drummond combo. Change usually is good, but us fans have been continually horrified at the atrocious defense played by CV for years now. Enough all ready. Going 100 mph backwards will never work. Lets spell it out for the coach. Yes, us fans want change - specifically seeing Monroe play a ton of power forward minutes.

If Tay can't guard his guy, and can't score to boot, no, he should not stay on the floor just because of habit. Give those minutes to someone else and give them a shot at bothering the Melo fellow's shot.

No use of twin towers to shore up the middle, poor perimeter D results. Very poor. Almost inconceivably so. Probably most fans writing on this board can see the problem, and all would give the same simple solution. Play Monroe and Drummond together - and someone other than Tay at small forward for the bulk of the minutes would not hurt either. A better interior defense so our perimeter guys don't have to collapse in to help.

I believe that perhaps Singler played just a bit of power forward. Tay did too. Monroe a few minutes. And a whole lot of CV. Glad to see the scoring from him - but he was minus 11 despite all that scoring. We never stopped the other team from scoring with him in the game. And probably never will. Lets hope coach does not get enthralled with the 3 's made and goes completely blind to the lack of D by CV. Heck, really, this one, goes toward Dumars being a poor GM for ever having him, and worse, then keeping him, on the team. Almost as bad as the Gordon experiment.

I did not hear the interview of the coach after the game. But ok, won't say anything more bad about him at this point, as he did make that adjustment for at least a little while in the 2nd half. That is something at least. (Maggette at shooting guard instead of Stuck. - but it should be English

12. Laimbrane

Defensively, it was solid production, but that's not the type of production you want out of your starter. If Drummond wants to be the starter, he needs to have the same expectations as other players.

Would you be happy with 11 rebounds and 2 points from Monroe? I wouldn't. Drummond is capable of more, and it's clear that the team expects it from him.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Drummond has no plays run for him. So if he gets no points upon occasion - it is to be totally expected.

coynejeremy likes this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In 19 minutes maybe.

15. Laimbrane

That doesn't make it any better. If they don't run plays for a guy that size, then that means he's not an effective offensive player yet. Monroe posts up. Maxiell has a nice little jumper. The ability to clean up the boards on occasion does not make him a valuable contributor offensively, nor does his defensive prowess offset him being an offensive liability as much as it would with a guy like Ben Wallace.

Look, my point isn't that he can't be good, it's that he's not yet. I love potential as much as the next person, but potential doesn't win ballgames. Neither does 2 points on 1-6 shooting. If the Pistons want him to be the force that most of us believe he can be, then it's imperative that the team not treat him with kid gloves and that fans be realistic. I'm not saying boo the guy (I think booing does more harm than good, personally), but don't clap and "yay" when his performance is - at best - slightly above average, like it was today.

I want to come away from a game pleased with an 18 point, 15 board win - not a 2 point, 11 board loss.

KGREG likes this.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Drummond has a 66% FG percentage on the year. One 1 for 6 game doesn't affect my happiness with him at all. Especially when it's obvious, for better or for worse, that the coaches are handling him with the kid gloves.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Did you watch the game? Drummond really did not do anything wrong. Like one pass he made a shot attempt from was misthrown. He tried his best to do something with it, it just was not there. His other misses were off his own offensive rebounds. The one bucket he did make, was on the one and only decent pass given to him the whole game. Now, Monroe, he was given lots of plays, as per usual. You give Drummond plays like that, and he does not score, then lets talk.

18. BillLaimbeer

I don't think they will ever run many plays for Drummond. He will get about 10 points per game just from offensive rebounds. He seems to be pretty good at rolling to the hoop after setting screens, too. I could easily see him averaging 16 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks in the not too distant future.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Also, if you did not watch the game, you would miss the many times Drummond made someone miss by altering their shot. These of course do not go in the stats. Rest assured Drummond altered more shots than the rest of our front line combined. (All of them from the starters to the bench players.) Indeed, pretty much anyone could make a case, that for this game, Drummond was our best front line player, rookie or not.

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

They should run lots of plays for Drummond. In this game, Monroe had 7 assists. None to Drummond, on account of they hardly saw any floor time together. That has got to change, and seeing a Drummond score off a pass from Monroe - on set plays - should be a constant occurrence in Pistons games.

del and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.