Away New Orleans Pelicans Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Pope was -8 and Dre -13.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Please do not use partial quotes of me. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I disagree with paragraph 6, sentence 3.
    Walter likes this.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I only quote the relevant part for readability.

There is a link back to your post for full context for additional context (which wasn't necessary for my response)

If we are going to mention +/-, let's talk about everyone's +/-.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is everybody's +/- for the year (per 36 min). Players with under 200 minutes are excluded (like Jerebko, who would be -11 per 36 minutes):
    1. Will Bynum: +1.90
    2. Kentavious: +0.70
    3. Greg Monroe: +0.40
    4. Josh Smith: 0.00
    5. Kyle Singler: -0.73
    6. B. Jennings: -1.34
    7. R. Stuckey: -1.54
    8. Drummond: -2.18
    9. C Billups: -3.08

Monroe, Smith, and Drummond's numbers when they are all on the court together are terrible (-2.70 per 36 minutes). That means of course that their numbers are pretty sweet when they are broken apart (either alone or with 1 of the other 2). Excluding situations where they are all out together, Monroe is +3.1 per 36, Smith is +2.7, and Drummond is positive at 0.52.

Our starting lineup as a whole are really terrible at -3.3 per 36. Again, that means that all of the guys are doing really well when they aren't paired with all of the other starters. And it's not the 3 point shooting or the defense. The starting unit is shooting 3's at a .387 clip, which is better than all but 4 other NBA teams. They are giving up 97.3 points per 48 minutes, which is better than average. Despite the solid 3-point shooting, they are only scoring 92.9 points/48 min, which would be 6th worst in the league. Turnovers, poor FT shooting, inefficient 2 point shooting (despite Dre) would all be things to look at. Jennings leads the league in time of possession per possession, so maybe that is part of the issue.

But even with all that, Pope, Monroe, and Smith are all even or better. Pretty impressive.

Of course, Drummond is the big negative surprise, considering that he seems to be dominating games. His help defense hasn't been what it should be, his FT shooting is obviously whack, and he doesn't generate much offense himself, except off of offensive rebounds. I love the guy and think he's our best player, but the coach needs to think about why his great play isn't generating results for us.

We just have to break up the 3 bigs. They are all really good players and are tripping over each other.
    roscoe36 likes this.