Away New Orleans Pelicans Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@ New Orleans Pelicans

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 8:00 PM Eastern

New Orleans Arena, New Orleans, LA

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

[​IMG]

Discuss.
    BallDon'tLie and roscoe36 like this.
  3. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Must Win Game
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Worst name.
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Definitely. Worst all time.

Except maybe for the Utah jazz.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm so used to the jazz, that it seems fitting. Pelicans though? It's not fierce or cute... just indigenous. It's like naming us the detroit squirrells.
    dba, roscoe36 and del like this.
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It's better than New Orleans Goths.
  8. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Horrible name. But I am expecting a similarly horrible performance from us tonight. Seems like we have only played well after we have had some practice time
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With Anthony Davis out, we should have the advantage in the front court over Jason Smith and Ryan Anderson... The question is can we stop their guards. Holliday and Gordon....
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Ryan Anderson might break the NBA 3pt record tonight with Moose guarding him.
  11. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

12. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I just got home, its 00:50 am here, I just checked the ESPN BOXSCORE and don't understand what happend.

I guess I'll just wait for your reviews.. I thought this was a game where Drummond would dominate.
  13. LA Dre

Well Anderson did hit four of them, 2 were in overtime and this game should have never got there. He scored 8 of the Pelicans 15 OT points and was wide open on every three he made.

The Pistons trailed by as many as 9-12 points most of the second and third quarter before eventually putting together a 12-0 run to come within 1 pt 83-82 just over 8 mins left the game. They then proceeded to miss four straight free throws...one by Jennings, two by Moose and then one by Singler before he finally hit the second of two shots to tie it. They could never get over the hump and get this the were in the bonus with 8 minutes left in the game and never went to the free throw line again until over time.

The Pistons continued to fight with a couple of key hoops by Josh and had a chance to win the game in regulation but a couple of missed J's by Jennings from distance did not fall. I hate when teams rely on the key guy to dribble the ball outside the arc until there is five seconds left on the clock to make a move. It's standard operation procedure so I get it.....but can't we run an alley oop surprise and just hope that Dre slams it in?

The Pistons jumped to the advantage with a 3 by Josh to open the OT and we had our first lead since the beginning of the game. But the coach decided that he wanted to prove he could win this one with Singler, so he took out Stuckey (guess he had a thumb injury??) It left us with no penetrator and an added liability. The 8-2 run by Anderson did us in and we had no answer to counter him. He should have put KCP in....probably would not have stopped Anderson, but we could have had a couple stops...

Moose was at home and playing in front of family and friends ...he had 28 pts and 10 boards, but an old ugly girlfriend must have been sitting behind the basket rearing her ugly face as he was 2-7 from the charity stripe. Jennings kept it the Pistons within range of the comeback with timely shots, but couldn't deliver the game winning shot when it counted.

Hard fought valiant effort by the guys, but now three straight losses to almost negate our 4 game win streak and we gave up 100+ points in all three of them....
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

New Orleans, without Davis, tried and tried again to give the game to the Pistons. But the Pistons have really no crunch time offense. There is just no penetration on the offense. And very little three point shooting. In overtime, the Pistons on one possession couldn't get the ball inside at all. They were stopped at the perimeter. But this is not Miami. Charlotte is a poor shooting and dysfunctional team.

Jennings flat out lost the ball on another possession. Someone at the 4 minute mark of regulation, when the Pistons were desperately trying to catch up, threw a wild pass down court. Jennings at about the minute mark went in one on three and lost the ball. Guys (Monroe) missed free throws down the stretch. There was no out of bound play when the Pistons were under the offensive hoop late in regulation.

The Pistons played no defense for three quarters. They were outrebounded. They played some in the 4th and regulation. But major lapses of leaving Anderson to roam. New Orleans has no offensive weapons that would draw a double team. And still New Orleans scored plenty.

Yes, the Pistons would have had an undeserved win with Billips. But the lack of a true penetrator on offense will have to be addressed.
  15. LA Dre

I concur....a penetrator would have gotten himself or fed someone to get us to the free throw line to take care of business during that 8 minute bonus stretch, but nope there are were no more than three attempts to get to the rim and two of those were no calls by the refs. Of course we would have had to convert the freebies, and we missed 10 tonight.....Good thing is that Dre didn't miss any, but he never went to the FT line.

In the old days, if we were in the bonus, Billups, knew how to penetrate or fine Rip in the lane and lived at the FT line in crunch time.... of course they shot over 85%, so it was almost automatic... I can't understand why the current coaches didn't enforce or set up plays to exploit the bonus.....this game should have been won in regulation at the FT line if they had been aggressive in that stretch.
    Lee356 likes this.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Coach lost this one. After we came back and tied the game with Singler sitting on the bench, he puts Singler in for all of OT. Instead of Stuckey, who had scored 20 points, and was piping hot at the end of regulation.

Singler made just one shot for the game. Just two rebounds, despite being in at small forward, and even quite a stretch at power forward, much of the game. Further, if you watched carefully, you will notice Singler completely avoided any situation where he, as a small forward, might contribute any interior defense. At least I guess he knows his limitations. Singler was minus 7 in this one. Not that bad really. But the only reason he was not negative, considering all the points he gave up on defense, was Stuckey knocking down a ton of tough, tough shots. Singler, despite the hype, really contributed nothing to this game for us.

Jennings had his shot going, from the gitgo. Monroe was fantastic inside. Drummond, another double double. Stuckey was back to being instant scoring off the bench. And yet we lost.

Some say Singler had to come in for us, since our starters did so bad to start the game. Nope. We were down 2 points, and Smith picked up his 2nd foul. In comes Singler. We were shortly thereafter down 11, and a lot of that was bad defense by Singler. And his missed shots. Stuckey got the scoring going and made us look good. And erased that negative stretch for Singler.

Harrellson came in, looked good for us.

JJ played, barely. But the very little he did play at small forward, he actually affected plays inside. A whole lot more palatable seeing him in there at small forward vs. Singler.

No Billups, apparently, he did not dress. I am assuming because it was the 2nd of a back to back; I heard nothing about it otherwise.

Siva did fine, did not play much.

No Datome nor CV. Maybe this is what coach thinks good D is? Singler?

Mitchell was dressed, and available to come in and rebound like crazy anytime asked.

We let Anderson burn us for 2 triples in OT. Crazy bad defense. Maybe coach thought Singler playing would prevent that? I for one can't see any reason to play Singler. Not one.

Something unusual did happen in the game. We went small ball, with Singler at power forward. Jennings at point, Pope at shooting guard, Stuckey at small forward, and Monroe at center. This unit did fine. Stuckey provided the scoring punch, along with Monroe and Jennings. Singler made some free throws.

But what I found so unusual about it, coach actually let Pope play instead of taking him out - and kind of therefore insinuating Pope was the problem. But despite this success, Pope was the first guy picked on in the 2nd half. And I do not recall him ever coming back into the game.

Still some bad defensive rotations. Still some real crazy shots when the ball really needs to go inside - and we proved all night we could go inside and still would turn around and see Smith jack up a shot from the outside. And we still got Stuckey, on a related subject, still being deluded into thinking he is a 3 point shooter. We do not need those misses. Wait until we are way ahead late before taking any further practice shots.

Basically, our coach was not into winning this one, his only concern seemed to find ways to play Singler. Losing choice.
    del, The Panda and LA Dre like this.
  17. LA Dre

I see sixteen Singler references of negative play....tell me has he made it to your all time negative Piston team that includes Curry, Atkins, Hunter? I forgot who the other two were...but I'm starting to think he belongs on it too.:gaah:
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It is hard to say what is worse, the Pistons offense or defense.

The Pistons operate their offense with the suaveness of a caveman or Frankenstein monster sitting down in an office cubicle for the day. They repeatedly try and slam the square peg into the round hole. Jennings can't finish inside and no one can shoot. They make some nice passes sometimes but struggle to jog and dribble simultaneously a lot.

There can't be an easier team to fool on D than these guys. The Pelicans looked like the T-Wolves who looked like the Heat. A big showing a little on a pick and roll seems to really confuse any and all Pistons within 15' of the play. A retarded kid could get 10 assists feeding guys for 3's and dunks playing against Detroit.
    del, KGREG and lapiston like this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Siva did fine? 6 trillion.
    6 min and all 0's across the stat sheet. Yet our block leader for the game gets the loss?

23 shot attempts for jennings and he drew 1 foul? Good sign that he's shooting a lot of fade aways.

What was up with stuckey's 3 missile air balls? The first one was quite a sight.

Good 4th quarter performance to get the tie.
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

At least he isn't Bynum, who is too short to play in the NBA.