Home New Orleans Pelicans Friday, January 24, 2014

Discussion in 'January 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs New Orleans Pelicans

Friday, January 24, 2014 - 7:30 PM Eastern

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit Plus
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Be back later after the game. I look forward to reading lots of good reports on the game. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons bouncing back from the disappointing loss to the Bucks. Drummond will manhandle "the Brow".

Pistons by 8.
  4. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The guys are sick of reading all this negative BS and stomp the freakin' Pelicans into the ground, they win big and strut right out of the Palace....( I hope Sheed is at this game tonight, I miss him......)
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

JD is gonna switch to caramel-corn just to feel better...........
    roscoe36 likes this.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Another 4th quarter loss...... this time after leading by 15 or so in the third. I am still in Vegas this time at my moms house and as we were flipping through her channels we found the game...heck my mom has League pass and she didn't even know it....not sure if this is free week or not?

Anyway the home town underachievers were hitting on all cylinders leading 78-62.......then the roof caved in as Pelicans chipped away and the Pistons gave up 4 threes in the last 5 minutes. Once again we went to all jumpers.,..all the time...and none fell....also no Monroe...

I told my mom and wife when the score was 98-94 if the Pelicans got to 100 before we did, we would lose.....and we did........... Once again Mo mouthed the F bomb when the Pelicans went ahead. I almost did too, but I don't curse in my moms house.....
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    brofmfa, roscoe36 and Nemo like this.
  7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

What was that line up on the last possession with no big in there? So Gordon takes it to the hoop--easy.

The team can't score in the 4th in crunch time. Most of the points were on either Andre put backs of Jennings misses or a fast break on a New Orleans turnover. So the 21 points, iffy as they were, are deceiving. And hardly anything the last 3-4 minutes.

I am going to focus on some good. Andre was back. You know, he has been ordinary for awhile. When Andre plays like Andre can, the Pistons look good. The team looked good. It is just not well constructed or instructed to win games down the stretch.

Pope will be fine. His shot just does not quite have full NBA range yet but in another year or two--he will.

Jennings shows again that he is just plain off. He hits that long three when he acts instinctively, but on the last open look, he barely hits the rim. His defense is poor but it can improve. And his shot can improve. My question is will his penetration game improve? When the Pistons can't score, I noticed, there is no real penetration. That is the biggest thing missing with the offense, even more than three point shooting.

Monroe needs to play more so the organization can figure out what to do with his contract. He was not in again late. The season is all but lost. Play Monroe.

Singler is playing too many minutes...
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Coach Cheeks continues his total obsession with playing Singler. In this game, our bench was called in in the first quarter when we were just completing a 10-2 run. In the 2nd, Singler was the very first guy off the bench, as we were completing a 30 -4 run. Let me repeat that. Our starters were completing a 30-4 run. Our starters were stomping them. But our starting unit never came back into the game. Too much heartache on the part of Coach Cheeks upon seeing his favorite player go minus 13. He just hates to have to pull Singler out of the game. So he ruins the remainder of the game, leaves Monroe who has pulled down 11 bounds to that point out for the remainder of this game.

How sad is Cheeks obsession. Lets look at Monroe. 4- 8, and 11 rebounds. But he got to play just one more minute than Singler, who was 1-5 with just 3 rebounds. Cheeks is just that obsessed with a totally talentless player. Sad sad state of affairs in Piston land.

Wasted, the first 20/20 game from a Piston since 2009. Great game for Drummond. Jennings too had a fine, fine game with 28 points on mostly getting inside just like you want.

Great guard play. Great inside play. Fantastic game, a truly dominating game, from our starting unit.

But that can not outdo a coach who is completely obsessed with playing a player who does not belong in the NBA in anyway.

Pope did a nice bit of scoring, mostly from his stellar D.

Their bench outscored ours about 3 -1.

Much of the non-sense coach pulled in this game was our old nemesis, small ball. Singler at power forward.

In the same game, although not really effective, it did not make us lose when we used a 3 guard setup of Jennings, Stuckey, and Pope with two bigs. We did a lot of that to end the first half. Pointless small ball, to no end at all. We neither gained nor lost points during that stretch, but my main point, coach would not go back to his starters to end either half, even though in both cases they were rocking before they were taken off the floor.

Forget worrying about the itsy bitsy details at the end of the game. We should have put this one away very early, only if we had a coach who cared to give just a tiny bit of effort instead of wallowing in his favorite obsession, Singler. Note, playing Bynum does not in any way help either.

Of note, if you recorded the game, do watch it. Its worth watching Jennings completely dominate the game in the 2nd half with our starting unit. Jennings was extremely animated, swiping the ball right and left, driving in and making his free throws. About the best we have seen him save that 17 assist first half we saw from him not too far back. Also featured in that run was a continuos stream of offensive rebound putbacks by Drummond.

Then Singler comes in for Drummond, who only had two fouls at that point. And funny how everything good just stopped dead cold.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have to agree that someone stopped that run....I saw Singler hit a 3 and I also saw him with a costly turnover and and another time when he held on to the rock too long that led to a rush jumper by Jennings......The only way we are going to prove that Singler is the culprit is to sit him in the second half and then see if we can win a game with him on the bench... Either way....when Dre was out there by himself and Davis was grabbing all of the boards, you had to wonder why Monroe was on the bench??
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

At this point....it's just comical. In the NBA unless you have a big like Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem etc......then you need players who can make a jumpshot on a consistent basis......we don't have that, New Orleans does. They were missing 4 rotation players and we STILL lost.....smh.......bye Joe.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Man, what a roller coaster game. The 30-6 run was the best stretch for the team this year and it was almost all fueled by defense. Guys were hyped.

Pretty interesting watching Mo's strategy with small ball here, even though I don't like it. He succeeded in getting Davis out of the paint on defense, which freed us up for all those aotg to dre.

But yeah, if we can't beat a team with a losing record with 2 of their best players out in our building with a double digit lead, we have to face the music that we kind of suck.

Swag gets super full of himself with his mid game leads.

I was noticing the sincerity in monroe's crunch time cheer leading tonight. It was good to see.

The rotation has really been shortened all of a sudden to 8. I guess this is our Playoff rotation. I'd rather see somebody like jorts space the floor against a guy like davis.

Morrow has a quick release and sort of won the game for those p-cans.

Man is datome not going to break out this year. He's pretty far back in the old depth chart at this point.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Lee, you are absolutely correct. (Say it like Troy Aikman.) The starters did build that lead and Cheecks doesn't know how to go back to them. He gets stuck in Flip Saunders/Lawrence Frank=land where he's afraid to mess something up.

This is just another example of the right hand, Joe, not knowing what the left, Cheecks, is doing in the Pistons organization. Stop dwelling on what they can't do together and look at what they can do. How can it turn out worse? With Monroe on the bench the Pistons were hemorrhaging 3's.

I am a Drummond man, but you can't have Monroe not playing in the 4th Q. This is where the bring someone off the bench BS falls apart. You can only do that if they're all able to finish the game. Joe won't go for that type of balance.

I saw that also and agree. He's a better man than I. I feel bad for him sometimes.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Is Drummond going to have to buy watches for Jennings and Smith if he leads the L in offensive rebounds because of all the bricks they shoot the way a QB does for his offensive line?
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was thinking that too. He's in a unique position to get the boards.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I'd rather wear a Ralph Lauren Olympic sweater than pick the half season MVP of the Pistons.

I'd probably go with Mitchell cause he's played the least minutes...........

[​IMG]
    linwood likes this.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond. He's having a great year for a 20 year old center.
    roscoe36 and Nemo like this.
  18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is there an echo in here?
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

What a horrible writeup by Goodwill. How can a supposedly professional writer fail to mention that the 30-4 run was from our starters. Despite all their supposed flaws. And the comeback was mostly against our horrid bench, where our coach skipped small ball altogether and went to microball with Singler in at power forward.

This game featured our starters with more effort than like forever. Our bench does not lack effort, just any talent to do anything with. The guy who showed no effort at all in this game was the coach, Mo Cheeks.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just note, the 30-4 run was all our starters. And glad you disagree with the ultra small ball being played by Mo, which does us no good at all. Yes, we are a pretty bad team because you do have to count the coach, who gives no effort at all in his coaching.