New Orleans Hornets Jan. 17th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 14, 2009.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Where did i say that?

---------

bla, bla, bla . . . I'm done with the AI is not going to the bench b/c he's the best player, future hall of famer, etc. BS. For people that criticize Rip on the basis that we won a championship years ago and and he was at his best in 04 which was so long ago, they sure like to cling to AI's past accomplishments. Very rarely does Iverson look like the best player on this team. Up until two games ago it was Stuckey.

Nice job refuting all the points i made in my last post BTW. Let me know if you need those quotes.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

He took one forced shot last game. Thats all. Not so bad for a guy who loves to shoot.

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This team can win every game, with the players it has. But not if the coach does not know what it means to put correct units out there that can function. He hints that he knows small ball does not work. But he does nothing about it. His love affair with playing Dyess and Sheed paired together is rediculous.

There is one thing we could add that would help make us a better team, but only even then if we had a decent coach. A tall, quick, backup small forward. Of course, he just might be on our roster already. Walter Sharpe.

4. max

max All-Star

Not directed at you. At this point I don't really care who goes to the bench. Wish the coach would just pick one and be done with it. We could have this dynamic bench to go along with a nice starting line. Instead we have this frankenstein thing thats not working and causing a lot of worthy players to sit.

And these undersized matchups for them are probably why they are running out of gas in the 4th Q. Especially Prince. Every game he gets banged up.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tonight at 8:00 PM eastern, we will be having our first podcast in two weeks.

Everyone is welcome to join the text chat or call in.

Please join us.

:)

6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i couldn't agree more. i'd say that's probably the main reason actually. we never had a problem with 4th quarters...i remember complaining about 2nd quarter lapses lol

7. max

max All-Star

I have my moments.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The whole problem started when the coach decided our 8th best player had to start. Nope, Stuckey does not need to be in the starting unit. It is a very good idea to give him 25 minutes a game though.

Now, I know the Pistons press has put a lot out there about how great Stuckey is. And he can score. Even 40 points against some of the weaker teams in the league. But though he can score, that does not make him a more than average player in many other areas. (Especially as pertaining to be a point guard.) Stuckey has a lot of potential, but as of yet, he does not make any difference to whether we win or lose games.

Afflalo does. Best perimeter defense we get.

Playing a combination of a center and a power forward makes a difference.

Any of JMAX and Dyess, Amir and Dyess, JMAX and Sheed, Amir and Sheed, JMAX and Kwame, Amir and Kwame, will do. Someone big for toughness around the basket, someone quick to get over on defensive rotations around the basket. Certainly not rocket science.

Playing two centers, when the other team is playing two centers is not only ok, but sometimes down right needed. If we want to beat the Lakers next time we face them, we can if we start Sheed and Kwame. Starting Sheed and Amir in that game would probably result in problems. But note, you only need start two centers in a handful of games a year. Most of the time, starting either of Amir or JMAX with Sheed is fine.

Having a point guard in the game helps win games. Bynum may be too inexperienced though, even if he is a point guard. Since AI and Stuckey are decent point guards, one of them should be on the floor at all times. Maybe just a bit of Bynum playing. Note, AI can easily play 30 minutes, even at his age. Stuckey can play 18 minutes. That covers the point guard position. Stuckey playing any more than the 18 minutes mostly just gives him more minutes to develop, but it also gives us a two slasher theme that is kind of nice at times. But it most likely will not win us many games, at least at the moment while Stuckey is still learning the game.

Finally, having a small forward who can defend the opposing small forward certainly helps us win games.

This leaves Rip out of the equation. Its not me leaving him out. He is just out of the equation. It certainly helps to keep him involved though. Injuries happen, its great to have depth. But most certainly, a three guard rotation of AI, Stuckey, and Afflalo is just fine.

We could sit one of Dyess or Sheed out, game after game, because, again, they are not part of what wins for us. Neither gives us anything so special that they got to play for us. But again, depth is a great thing. Injuries, foul trouble.

Amir and JMAX are two of our most important players toward winning games. Because we only have the two of them to cover the power forward spot for most games. Tay is so important because he can do a pretty good job guarding most small forwards.

So what do we do?

Start AI, Rip, Tay, Amir, Sheed.

2nd unit:

Stuckey, Afflalo, Sharpe, JMAX, Kwame.

Kwame plays the 2nd quarter, and usually does not play otherwise. Still available if needed though.

Dyess does not play in the first half of the game, except to rest Sheed for the last 3 minutes of the 1st quarter. He plays the last 3 minutes of the 3rd quarter, and the first 6 minutes of the 4th quarter.

Sheed plays 24 minutes, 9 to start each half, and the last 6 minutes of the game.

The above covers all the center minutes.

Amir plays the 1st and 3rd quarters. JMAX plays the 2nd and 4th quarters. Occasionally, due to matchups, they can swap minutes.

That covers the power forward minutes.

Amir plays the first 6 minutes of the 4th quarter at small forward, assuming he has stayed out of foul trouble to do so. If not, maybe Sharpe plays more here, if he has been having a particularly good game. Otherwise, lots of options are available (Rip, Afflalo, by having AI play over into the 4th quarter.

Tay plays the first and 3rd quarters, and the last 6 minutes of the game, at small forward.

Sharpe plays the whole 2nd quarter.

That covers the small forward minutes.

Rip plays the 1st and 3rd quarters. Afflalo plays the 2nd quarter, and the first 6 minutes of the 4th quarter. From there, the coach makes a decision on who to go with between Afflalo and Rip to end the game. According to who can help win the game, not by any pecking order, or by any other reason.

That covers shooting guard.

AI plays the first and 3rd quarters. Stuckey plays the whole 2nd quarter, and the first 6 minutes of the 4th quarter. Again, the coach makes a decision on who to play at this point, for the last 6 minutes of the game.

That covers point guard.

For the last 6 minutes of the game, you are going to end up with any combination of AI, Stuckey, Afflalo, and Rip, but only two of them to go along with Tay, JMAX, and Sheed. (or sometimes Amir instead of JMAX)

Sorry to be redunant, but I am going to restate this:

First nine minutes of 1st: AI, Rip, Tay, Amir, Sheed.

Last three minutes of 1st: AI, Rip, Tay, Amir, Dyess.

Whole 2nd quarter: Stuckey, Afflalo, Sharpe, JMAX, Kwame.

3rd quarter goes same as 1st quarter went.

First 6 minutes of 4th quarter: Stuckey, Afflalo, Amir, JMAX, Dyess.

Last 6 minutes of game: (could vary, but may often be) AI, Afflalo, Tay, JMAX, Sheed.

Other possibilities for last 6 minutes:

AI, Afflalo, Tay, Amir, Sheed.

AI, Rip, Tay, JMAX, Sheed

AI, Rip, Tay, Amir, Sheed.

AI, Stuckey, Tay, JMAX, Sheed.

AI, Stuckey, Tay, Amir, Sheed.

Stuckey, Rip, Tay, JMAX, Sheed

Stuckey, Rip, Tay, Amir, Sheed

Stuckey, Afflalo, Tay, JMAX, Sheed

Stuckey, Afflalo, Tay, Amir, Sheed.

9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Lee...if you get time, I wonder if you could elaborate on that.

I think this losing streak is going to force some changes and for that I am grateful.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I plan to. But right now, Short of time. But I promise I will get back to the subject. Have patience.

11. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

There were some stages of this game where I thought we played quite well, whether it's small ball or with the big line up. Game was pretty close the entire game until 4 minutes left in the game. We started the game with small ball and we shot pretty well to start with. Other than giving up some offensive rebounds and Tay being abused by Chandler, the score was still close. Then Curry made a substitution and went big by bringing in AJ for Rip and we went on a run there. Not very sure if this is correct but I think we played alright with 2 guards (Stuck/ AI or AI/ Rip or Stuck/ Rip) to finish the half.

The 2nd half started with small ball again and unfortunately or fortunately, AI injured his knee after a good steal and has to be subbed and in comes AJ or Max and we went big from there and played okay I would say. Hey, the Hornets are no scrubs. We managed to close the 3rd quarter with the lead. We started the 4th with Dice and Max and hell broke loose with all the hustle play and that is DETROIT BASKETBALL. But Curry went with Dice and Sheed to finish the game where the game was lost there and then. Wrong decision.

I feel that we can still start this small ball line up if the management feels this is the best way to not hurt anyone's ego, go deep into the playoffs and keep this intact for the future. But substitution has to be make after 5 minutes. Go big after that. Sit AI or Rip. Both of them can rotate who goes to the bench every other game. AJ or Max or even Kwame (situational) comes in and we go big to close the half. Stuck with AI/Rip and when Stuck takes a breather, AI and Rip takes over the guard position. When Tay sits, AA/RIp to take over SF position.

I agree with Lee here that Dice & Sheed should never be on the floor together. The rotation should be Sheed with Max/AJ/KB or Dice with Max/AJ/KB and that's it.

Crunch time (5 minutes remaining for the game) is where Curry needs to find the hottest big lineup for the game both defensively and offensively out there on the night itself. If AI and Rip has the hot hands that night, let them finish the game. If Stuck and Rip has the hot hands that night, so be it or even Stuck and AI combination. For defensive situation, we can also include AA in that mix. When it's over and done, we only play small ball for like 10-12 minutes which is what MC said he wanted to do.

P/S Is there any rule saying the starting 5 who started the game must start the 2nd half or even end the game? For god's sake, MC could have go BIG to start the 2nd half. He can even start the 2nd half with both AI and Rip on the bench if necessary to keep their egos intact.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Right, and he shot 50%. I'm not blaming AI for the loss. Just saying that his shooting % should be significantly higher this year. In his last 11 games prior to last night, he didn't have a single game where he shot 50%.

For the season, he's only shot above 50% 4 times in 35 games. Even Sheed has done it 8 times and he takes 90% jump shots, mostly bank-shots from 3-point land.

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Woah, what did I miss? Elaborate, please?

You must only be watching our recent fourth quarters 4 times. If you watched them a fifth time, you'd probably notice that Dice is Mr. Big Clutch Offensive Rebound and Hustle Man. Hard to miss.

Awesome post, I loved this!

Stat of the game. Of every game this past week, too, it seems.

Star, stay here forever, would you? Can you tell we love you around here? This was a great post.