New Orleans Hornets Jan. 17th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 14, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Most of us don't really have a burning need to hang out with Nuggets fans, or to follow how their team does, any more than we would follow the Celtics, Lakers or Knicks.

Most of us talk to Pistons fans. We're not particularly interested in what Chauncey Billups does now that he is gone (thankfully) or concern ourselves what Allen Iverson did last year.

AI is a Piston. Chauncey is not.
  2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

because Sixer's management are idiots?

Mario Chalmers starts at PG.

I never said Tony Parker was an elite PG. I said Tony Parker can effectively play the position.

So now Chris Paul is only a PG because he doesn't have tatoos and he's not coached by Larry Brown? Makes sense.
    Why are you saying no? LB tried to get CB traded but couldn't. Chauncey is not just sucking up to LB. He is a completely different player. Molded or not, he would never gotten to the point he is at today. He knows that. It's not empty flattery.

What are you talking about? The line-up wasn't changed until the WAS game which was before two embarrassing losses, one to the Knicks, and the choke job against PHI. We played 14 games with AI at PG.
  3. roscoe36

Talk to Denver fans. Those paragons of knowledge and insight!

lol

(BDL excepted)

It will be a disappointing day for me if the trade deadline passes and Hamilton is still here. It simply doesn't make sense anymore, and even if AI doesn't re-sign, and we can't attract anyone decent to play the 2 with $15 million dollars (HA!), I'd be interested to see AA play in the corner shooting treys off of Stuckey kicks, and 30 minutes of inspired perimeter defense.

Removing LB, Flip and Chauncey really exposes Hamilton as a guy who is a great 3rd option, but if you make him the 1st or second, your offense becomes really slow and stagnant.

We're a lousy team but the coach is only exacerbating the situation. I almost wonder, now that both guards say they will come off the bench, if Curry continues to play them both, because someone or someones are being showcased. That, I could understand. Barely.
  4. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some things about the actual game.

I thought Curry did some things right regarding the lineups, but some mistakes cost us the game.

SB wasn't working early when Tyson Chandler got the ball within 5 feet of the basket against Tay and scored easily. So he subbed out Rip for AJ. I commend him on that. Fine, Curry won't make a tough decision and will let the ego's continue to have their starter status, so I guess making a quick sub is the next best (realistic) thing we can ask for.

Afflalo needed more minutes. After watching some of the Cavs-Hornets game the night before, the Cavs did an excellent job of contesting nearly every shot or at least rush the shooter and get a hand up. Something Afflalo could have helped with with his quickness. Hornets had too many open jumpers in the 2nd half. David West is a jump-shooter. Someone needs to do more homework pre-game.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Sheed still on the bench with 4 minutes left in the game (he was mostly ineffective), and just as we got back into the game with Max's hustle and to a smaller extent McDyess, we took out Max and put in a slow ineffective chucker (Sheed). I love Sheed the person, and have loved Sheed the player, but now I'm pretty over him.

In chat I threw out some stats regarding Sheed's shooting this season. Here's a recap.

2PA - 220
    3PA - 177
    FTA - 46

The FTA are just sad to be honest. 1.3 FTA per game. 1 FTA for every 25 minutes of court time. He just doesn't get to the FT line. We all know it, but that just demonstrates a lack of discipline, desire, and to be honest laziness.
    Kwame Brown, who has played 719 less minutes than Sheed, has 6 more FTA on the season. Nobody will ever praise Kwame for the qualities above, which just makes Sheed's numbers all the more embarrassing.

I've pretty much given up on this season. I'm excited to see what Joe will do to re-tool in the off-season. I'm not going to make anyone the escape-goat, but some things have got to change and I'm beginning to think it starts with Sheed.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Actually, we have never given AI any kind of chance to be our point guard. None at all. You see, we went to the Kwame / Sheed pairing, which is a disaster for most of the time. (Although we beat the Lakers with it since it fit that game as well as two others.)

We have not tried this unit to start: AI, Rip, Tay, Amir, Sheed, except for three games. The first two, we lost, since Afflalo was taken out of the rotation. And of course, we can't win with our best perimeter defender sitting on the bench. (Like he did in the 2nd half tonight.) The 3rd game, we won - but then we went to the Sheed / Kwame version of too big.

Why did we not stick with the AI, Rip, Tay, Amir, Sheed to start games? It was said at the time that we need more size in our starting unit. But lately, of course, we are playing this very same unit only Stuckey in place of Amir, going way smaller. So, the reason given, while possibly valid, is in retrospect completely nuts.

But, bottom line, it does not matter which two guards we start, as long as AI or Stuckey is one of them so that we have some sort of point guard in the game.

And since it matters so little, you might as well do what will get the most fans watching and coming to the games, start AI.

AI, Stuckey, Tay, Amir, Sheed.

This leaves for a 2nd unit: Bynum (playing little actually as AI and Stuckey also play with the 2nd unit some), Rip, Afflalo, JMAX, Kwame.

Dyess as the 10th guy. (Kind of two tenth guys, he and Bynum.)

And the last guy dressed should be Sharpe, cause he looks like just what we need, someone who can learn to play decent backup minutes to Tay when we need someone with height there.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Allen is not a "Typical" PG; but he is a Playmaker, give him the rock, let him hoop and you dang near get 25+ppg & 7+apg by default. I didn't see the whole game only half of the 3rd and the 4th, so guess what........I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY (about the game), I wish some folks would do the same. It can be really 'irky' to have folk post adamant comments only to find out later, they've only seen about 3 games this season, alas - they are fans none the less.
  7. roscoe36

I'm not defending Sheed because he's worn thin on me too, although his defense on big men is still elite. But instead of comparing him to Kwame (who likely gets fouled because he can't hit them), I'm wondering what his career per 25 minutes FTA is.

I have a feeling, Sheed has never been a guy to get to the line much. This jacking of 3s, avoiding the paint, no face to the basket game stuff has been going on a long time, and Sheed is starting to become a liability if he's not banging the tramp.
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Ok. I happen to actually like basketball so i follow alot of teams. I have LP which allows me to do that. You don't like Chauncey. Whatever.

I didn't bring up Chauncey. Someone else did. And people seem to be concerned with AI's previous career since every time anyone brings up anything negative about him, the responses range from.

"How could you? Don't you know AI is going to the Hall of Fame?"

or

"AI has been an elite player for (insert number of years). How can he not start? He's earned it."

or

my favorite

AI has won a scoring title, MVP, scored 28472 points, avg 34290 assists, played 4824829 games, is a 8317923 time All star, superstar, great person, teammate, friend, father, family member, etc, etc. as a response to why AI can't play defense

It's the most puzzling thing.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I usually follow 4 teams, but league pass is beyond my budget at the moment. I love NBA basketball. (But of course, I am first and foremost a Pistons fan.)
  10. roscoe36

No, I do not like Chauncey. He is not a Piston, and personally I dislike his personality, and some of the things he has done in the past. I also got sick of his game in Detroit, which was like watching paint dry while someone gives me a lobotomy with a teaspoon. Watching Billups run a fastbreak is like having someone smash my toes with a sledgehammer.

Nonetheless, when he was here, I supported him because he wore the uniform. This is after all a forum community based around mostly, love of the Detroit Pistons, not a particular player.

You bring up Denver and Chauncey on this board as much as, if not more than everyone else combined.

Well, you accused him of not being a good person, when Billups was involved in some particularly sordid business in Boston. I think your non-stop critique and cheap shots are starting to wear on more people than just me (with the exception of Lee).

Billups is gone. Bye bye. See ya later, skater. Adios. Arrevaderchi. Sayonara. Auf Weidersehen. Ciao. Buenos Nochas.

And AI is going to be here all season. And hopefully, yeah, he gets it together in game 82, before we go into the playoffs so we can have a chance to erase the wasted opportunities of the last 3 years.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'd flip this around and blame Joe more than Curry.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I think your non-stop critique and cheap shots are starting to wear on more people than just me (with the exception of Lee).

Roscoe, this is attacking the poster. And you, since you are the forum owner, yield a lot of wait in your attacks. Is that what you want to do, attack people. I should hope you would get back to talking about basketball. Thanks in advance. Please do follow your own advise and stick to talking about the subject at hand, and not make it personal.
  13. webz

I know, his defense is hard to replace.

Sheed's career FTA is 1 every 11.2 minutes. Also, he has never averaged more than 4.3 FTA per game. So yeah, it's nothing new, but wouldn't you just love our bigs to be able to put pressure on opposing big men and get them in foul trouble? McDyess is also pretty poor at this. (1 FTA per 17 minutes this season).

If he nearly 50% of his shots are going to come from behind the arc, we may as well pick up a SG who gets paid 75% less like Daquean Cook from Miami.

The Pistons currently remind me of a guy who goes to the gym and only ever does Bicep curls and Bench presses. He becomes massively top-heavy with tiny little legs and looks completely unbalanced.

Do teams even respect Sheed's 3 point shot anymore? I think teams are quite happy to let him have them these days.
  14. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Well, in response to other posters that are correct, I have threadjacked this one, so I'll cool it with any attempt to discuss how Allen could be better utilized by Detroit and why.

As for this game, I saw a bunch of guys counting something or other.

One guy was counting how many screens he had to see before he could pass the ball. One guy was counting how many games and days he had left before he leaves. One guy was counting how many fibers tore in his groin tonight in comparison to last night's. One guy was counting his shots and he gleefully ran around the court, as a starter, of course. One guy counted his fouls and then said, "whew!" Then he counted how many minutes he was on the floor and then said, "waaah!" One guy counted his points and rebounds and then began to pray that it was enough to play the next game. Then there was Rasheed and he only counts in threes.

But none of them were counting on the coach and that's why they all looked depressed. All but one and apparently, he's the one that truly counts.
  15. webz

The Count says "Funny post!" Ah.. ah.. ah!

[​IMG]
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

To be fair though, Sheed does shoot a lot of shots near the basket, but goes up so high when he does, his shot is simply uncontestable.
  17. roscoe36

No it isn't. It's about her comments.

Before you level a charge, make sure it is accurate. Now if I commented on her personally, you might have a point. But her comments and how I feel about them, are fair game. And my PM box is a testament to the # of people who don't post that are getting tired of seeing the team and AI dumped on, thread after thread, game after game.

But if you still have a problem with my post, report it. Max or Slippy will reprimand me if they think it's valid. You can follow up with them. I'm not going to debate it publicly with you.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

My point is that your personal dislike is clear in your posts which in itself doesn't matter since everybody does it to a degree, but every time i mention something about AI you jump on me as if what i'm saying is

AI can't play defense (but Chauncey can)

AI missed shot (but Chauncey doesn't miss shots)

There comes a point where people are seeing things that aren't there.

I haven't posted in the CB/Denver thread in awhile. The topic of CB is brought up numerous times and often by the same people. I happen to engage in these conversations b/c i don't understand how CB has now turned into Jarvis Hayes and is the devil and this awful player that we are so lucky to have gotten rid of so that we could embark on this journey of playing sucky basketball. And also because every single time i mention AI it's somehow taken as a pro CB post. In this post the topic was AI being ineffective at PG which became AI is so much better than Chauncey!! which completely misses the point again.

That conversation took place in regards to people calling Rip's character into question, and you telling me i have no respect for AI b/c i don't automatically embrace his greatness to me responding with i don't have to respect AI and mentioned how he cheats on his wife along with other NBA players. But hey exaggeration and distorting the topic is fun right? I love how it always comes back to Billups.

I'm going to be extremely happy when Rip is still here after the deadline.
    That's funny. I've been getting PM's that say the exact opposite.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

C-L-A-S-S-I-C !!!! Finally someone who actually SEE's THE GAME!!!!! Where have you been all our life!!!!!
  20. webz

That's also true, and I agree. But these uncontestable shots are either face-up jump shots or fade-aways. These are uncontestable for a lot of players.

Yes, he won't have the prototypical FT numbers of other big men, but 1 FTA every 25 minutes?? That's not just from having unblockable (or unfoulable) shots. That's not attacking the basket.

He is one of the most versatile big men in the game, but at the moment there is not an even balance between where and how he gets/takes his shots and I think his shooting stats reflect that.