1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Away New Jersey Nets Wednesday Feb 1 2012

Discussion in 'February 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 29, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2012.
  1. Detroit

71.4%
  2. New Jersey

28.6%
  1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nets 99- Pistons 96
    Seventh loss in a row for the Pistons, and I think they become the first team to get swept in the back2back2back series in this condensed season.

However good effort tonight as they hung in there to the end with probably their best scoring third qtr of the season. If not for a poor second qtr, they would have probably won this game and definitely topped 100 pts...which according to the final score would have been good enough to win.

Tay was the catalyst matching Monroe with 21 pts, but it was he who probably ran out of gas down the stretch and should have not have been handling the rock in the last 2 mns...,I would have kept the ball in Walker D jr's hands, and let him create, but unfortunately it appears that LFrank trusted his isotaying veteran more and Greg Kelser said in the end, Tay held on to it too long.

The PF position still remains an issue with the Pistons as tonight they started Max and it was just a tad better than Ben as he registered 4 pts and one board in 22 minutes. Oh by the way, Big Ben was inserted midway through the fourth and gave up two easy baskets and did not register any stats other than a -4. Like wise Daye scored no points or boards in his 11 minutes of play.

Good play from our stars of the future, Monroe, Knight and JJ. Russell deserves more PT.

New Jersey had only 8 players available and four of them were named Williams and they combined for 55 points and 30 rebounds and one of them (Deron) had all 9 of their assists. Oh yeah Kris I still love Kim K, Humphries had 18 pts, 8 boards and 5 assists. That my friends is who the Pistons should have signed as their starting power forward when he was still crying over Kim.

Did anyone else notice Jerry the Piston security guy reaching up and giving a Nets fan a high five when the team ran off to the locker room through the tunnel at the half?

alexa032 likes this.
  2. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Well, guess what? We lost. But this was the best game they've played since the one at home against Atlanta (except for that atrocious second quarter). Another heartbreaker, but I prefer these to the annoying blowout variety. You have to feel bad for the players though, they're 1 0f 4 in games won by 3 or less, the only win coming at home against Portland, and the look on Greg and Brandon's faces show just how much they want to end this now 7 game losing streak. The sheer frustration - anyone with a competitive bone in their body would understand how irritating that is. I hate it more than anything in the world.

Greg had a good game. He was 8 for 11 for crying out loud - get him the ball. The box score shows that Kim Kardashian's ex only got called for two fouls - it was more like 1000000. He was elbowing people out of the way, he was shoving Moose and grabbing his jersey for rebounds - just terrible how little respect Greg gets from the refs. He was fighting for position down in the post all the time, and it typically fell to Tay to make the entry pass; more often than not he'd dribble away and shoot his favorite fade away jumper instead.

Brandon played all of the second half, 43 minutes total. He's looked tired the last 3 games, but he looked more like himself in this one. He probably should have resisted the temptation of shooting so many 3s, even if the Nets were leaving him open to shoot them. He made a pretty pass to JJ for a short jumper at the end to make it a two point game. He also only committed one turnover, so hopefully with some rest and a home game coming up, we'll see Atlanta game Knight instead of the one that played in Philly. Good game for him.

Stuck - he was really quiet in this game due to very likely re-aggrevating the groin pull and a sprained ankle on top of it. It's likely he'll be out for the home game against Milwaukee. His last bucket of the game was a wide open 3 off a JJ rebound.

Tayshaun actually shot a good percentage; I just wish he'd stop with the isotayshauns. They kill me. The guys did a better job of moving off the ball, not that it mattered much; Tay either shot a fade away or a hook shot pretty much every time anyway. My math skills fail when counting how many times a posted up Monroe got his hand up to call for the ball and IsoTay just dribbled back out. That play with 17 seconds left - that was a classic Tayshaun 'I don't wanna pass!' play. I mean seriously, if you don't have a shot, pass. Move the ball, man. I was pissed to see him smiling right after; you need to be mad at yourself for missing that shot like Brandon was when he missed that last 3, not smile and shake your head like "aw, shucks". This guy is so critical of his teammates when they screw up; that kind of reaction from him just burned.

Walker Russell was ok. He was a little bit less composed than usual, but he was ok. He's never going to wow anyone, but he's solid. Liked him going over to pat Brandon on the head after Deron faked him into a foul, kind of saying 'it's okay'. Nice guy.

JJ picked up where he left off scoring wise - 50% from the field for 14 points. He seems to have muscled Austin back out of the rotation a little bit. He had a nice clutch jumper to make it a two point game, having hit a 3 not long before that. He and Knight look like they have some chemistry.

Austin had a Maxiell-like stat line - 0 everywhere with 1 foul in 11 minutes. That foul was terrible though, as it led to a 3 point play.

Max started, but he looks like usual Max with the Stone Hands. Surprisingly had 4 assists though.

Wilkins - decent player, but he was pretty awful in the 4 minutes he played. I especially hated this one play where he had Greg right in front of him with good position, Brandon and Austin wide open behind and to his left, and he decided to pump fake and air ball a jumper. Just a bad shot.

Positives? Well, it wasn't a blow out, the young guys continue to show they want to win (Greg, Brandon, JJ) and they're coming home. It's always good to come home. And hey, they scored more than 80!

roscoe36, LA Dre and Nemo like this.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Monroe with his second game in a row with 0 assists and high turnovers (4). But the Pistons only had 9 turnovers as a team! The last time we kept our turnovers down, we went down to the wire with a very good team. Unfortunately, in this one, the Nets only had 11 turnovers themselves and we got killed on the boards (19 offensive rebounds for NJ????).

Strangeness-
    Maxiell led the Pistons with 4 assists (tied with Prince and Knight)
    Walker Russell was 2nd on the team in rebounding with 6 and he came off the bench (only 2 behind our starting center)
    Rodney Stuckey led everybody in the game with his +9, except Shawne Williams who was +23. This was despite Rodney's aching groin.
    NJ was down to 8 men suited... but the Pistons went with the 8 man system intentionally, despite the BtBtB games.
    Sheldon Williams had 7 offensive rebounds and only 4 defensive
    Detroit's guards had only 2 turnovers in 88 minutes of court time.
    Greg Monroe was the only Piston with a steal and he had 3 of them.
    Okur had as many points as Wallace and Daye combined- and in 16 fewer minutes.

4. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Here's a thought. We're all saying that Daye should start at the SG right and JJ at SF instead of the overpaid BG and Stuckey. Now, more than ever, I really think Slim Shady should be traded because Daye only know offense and that is escaping him even now. He doesn't play D at all except for an occasional opportunistic block.

So I'll leave the 2 with Stuck and BG fighting it out for mediocrity, trade Daye and start JJ at SF. Solves the SF "logjam" we apparently have.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Wow, some of you are easily pleased. That game was atrocious! I've never seen so many shots by both teams careen towards the sideline out of bounds. It was like watching Stuckey's pre-game shooting routine.

I feel worse about myself after having sat through that and that is not easy to do. That is the Nets team? I can't imagine what impartial viewers must think when they see the Pistons play.

Max in the starting 5 for Big Ben. Deck chairs meet the Titanic.

Who was that girl who came out of the crowd to hug Tay at the end of the game on the NJ broadcast?

JJ looked faintly like the guy who played 2 years ago.

Recounds: B Knight with 5 in 40+ mins; Walker Russell MD with 6 in 20+ mins; Runnin' Rod Stuckey with 1 in 25 mins.

Deron Williams seems heavy to me.

6. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Aw, come on Ernie, after the last three games this one was a Mona Lisa. :biggrin1:

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Yea........that's why she had a bad attempt at smiling....

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

That was one of the worst games I have ever seen. It seemed like at least 50% of the shots were taken with under a second left on the shot clock.

I forgot Deron Williams was even in the L anymore.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Then that was an improvement...normally with the Pistons it is 75% of the shots taken with a second or so left on the clock....why else do you think they are lowest scoring team in the league... well they can't shoot or dunk either but that is another matter. Last night they were only 3 pts short of the century mark as they shot I believe over 65% from the field in the third quarter.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was our highest scoring regular season output of the year I believe. It was masterful... almost like Flip was back on the sidelines.

But as great as it was, NJ was just that much more brilliant and there was no defending their multidimensional attack. Sometime you just have to hand it to your opponent and be satisfied that you did all you could.

roscoe36 and dba like this.
  11. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Personally I always thought she was just constipated. :sssh:

Nemo likes this.
  12. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Yeah, it wasn't pretty; I wouldn't say it was worse than the one in OKC though. The only time I ever remember Deron when the Pistons don't play the Nets is when his name is mentioned in connection with Dwight Howard's and a possible trade between NJ and Orlando.

13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Too bad really. Deron Williams is one of my favorite players and he's wasted in NJ. I'd love to see him in a Pistons uniform, but that's as likely as us getting Dwight Howard I guess.

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

The difference between those games is that OKC\DET had one team playing NBA basketball at least.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Some good stuff to watch. Hard to believe that Tay is trying to win games though when he takes ill advised 3's in crunch time. And did he really even try to make that last shot?

Why we lost though: Still trying to use JJ as a power forward. JJ failed at three things - being tall enough, strong enough, or athletic enough, to be an NBA power forward. And he will always fail at these things, since he is not an NBA power forward. I know, I am probably the only guy here who breaks down film as a hobby. But anyone who cares to, if you have it recorded in one way or another, go back and watch what happens if JJ is in the game, and the opposing team tries to score inside. Not much positive.

16. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think you've said that at least once before.

Any other observations?

round likes this.