Home New Jersey Nets Friday Feb 10 2012

Discussion in 'February 2012' started by roscoe36, Feb 5, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Feb 9, 2012.
  1. Detroit

62.5%
  2. New Jersey

37.5%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7:30 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit PLUS / NBA league Pass
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Why did this poll close already (on Thursday morning)? I'm trying to get to .500 Well, just for the record I'm picking the Pistons and I'm counting it, *irregardless.

Do the Pistons have anyone on the schedule besides New Jersey?

* Please see all disclaimers throughout the website regarding "irregardless". Basically, the forum reserves express permission to use "irregardless" in place of "regardless" as much as anyone here bloody well pleases, **irregardless of how anyone in the rest of this world or specifically on this forum believes.

**ibid.

***(well, I guess maybe it's not actually an "ibid" since it doesn't refer to a source but close enough).

***I needed to add the statement in parenthesis because there ****do be some English police around here.

****Yes, I know.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Have the Pistons played anyone besides the Pacers, Bucks and Nets this season?
    We HAVE to find a way to lose this one!

...I see that it's 'Star Wars Night' at the Palace. :fight2:
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I might willfully skip this one. This is just too much Nets exposure at one time for me.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Schedule really seemed to work against our lottery chances this season........
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm hoping that Williams really steps it up for the Nets tonight. This winning streak is getting old.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

c'mon people! beating the Nets never gets old.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I still want to put together an "all-Williams" fantasy team one year and see how it goes.
  9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Im pickin the Pistons, expecting another big game from the moose and BK should be gettin into the groove of the masked man
  10. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Looks like I might've jinxed Brandon with the no fouls point in that last game; 3 already. The Nets suck so badly I'm actually not too worried about them, and I'd probably feel exactly the same if this were a close game. At least with the Wiz the next game it'll be the first meeting of the season, something new; playing the same team back to back is seriously dull. Really want to see John Wall's game a little more; guy's got jet speed.

Moose looks good. Stuck and BG look like they're having tryouts for the starting SG spot. Unfortunately for BG, Rodney's 'hey' seems to be working. Does he ever not double clutch a shot? BG's having a solid shooting game though.
  11. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Pistons finally scored 100 in regulation! :p welldone: You have to kinda feel bad for the Nets who got blown out by a team that, before this game, had fewer games under the win column than they did. The look on Deron Williams' face said it all; if they don't get Dwight he's gone. This game ended much closer than it actually was with the home team leading by 30 in the middle of the third.

Greg Monroe. It's gotten to the point where you can pretty much expect him to get around 20/10 every game; he had 18 and 11 in 30 minutes on 90% shooting if my math is right. Brilliant player.

Rodney played very well. If he can make those close in shots more reliably like he did tonight, it'll help the team immensely as their starting SG.

BG had a good game. His scoring numbers are probably a tad inflated due to strong garbage time play, but he's been shooting well since he's been back. As it is, he shot 60% from the floor and made sure there were no scoring droughts when the second unit came in, which had been a problem when he was out. He really can be a good sixth man.

Brandon played the least amount of minutes of the starters, primarily due to foul trouble. He got 2 quick ones in the first then got a third before ever touching the ball in the second. Dude made up for lost time in the third, scoring 10 quick points, including 3 for 3 from deep. He finished with 13/5/7. Had a bit of a scare in the third when he dived for a loose ball and "got crunched" as Keith Langlois said on twitter. Looked okay though.

Tayshaun was okay. He didn't shoot a good percentage, but played a good, vintage glue guy Tayshaun game otherwise.

Big Ben! Loved hearing the Big Ben chime every time he scored. He looked like vintage Ben, grabbing boards and playing solid D.

JJ was brilliant, picking up right where he left off in NJ. Shot over 50% from the floor and had 2 assists, one of which was that pretty touch pass to Big Ben for a layup in the fourth. He was a big part of the reason his team ran away with this game on his grandmother's 101st birthday.

Max only had 6 points, one of two starters not in double figures along with Tayshaun, but he shot 100% from the field and FT line and had 4 blocks. Putback dunks are really becoming his signature. All four of his blocks came on Kris Humphries shot attempts, one of which was a dunk attempt.

Austin's back to pre-Heat game form, going 1 for 7 from the field with one rebound in 19 minutes, majority of which was garbage time. He at least didn't have a turnover though. Every time he attempted a shot, I just knew it would be off; he just looked absolutely devoid of confidence, in stark contrast to the rest of the young guys who looked like they were overflowing with it, especially Greg, JJ and even Brandon who had a bad first half.

The Pistons shot 54% from the floor and had a very good 25 assist total, not looking anything like the team that had lost 7 straight just over a week ago. Granted, it was against a struggling Nets team who have lost 5 straight, but they look more like the team Lawrence Frank wants them to be. The real challenge will come once they face a very good Spurs team in 3 days' time; it'll be interesting to see how they respond against the first real playoff team they'll be facing in a while.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]
    MRS. MAXIELL
    dba and alexa032 like this.
  13. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

14. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not too well with just Williams', but if you formed say an 'All-Williams and Johnson's' team it might do ok.

1. Deron Williams
    2. Joe Johnson
    3. Louis Williams
    4. Amir Johnson
    5. Mo Williams
    6. James Johnson
    7. Marvin Williams
    8. Wes Johnson
    9. Derrick Williams
    10. Reggie Williams
    11. Shelden Williams
    12. Shawne Williams
    13. Ivan Johnson
  15. copper

copper Bench Warmer

another solid game from GM, to be expected. I also was impressed with the intensity and fearlessness that BK has played with after suffering that broken nose he hasnt shied away from contact at all. Max has finally started to attack the boards and play inside instead of roaming outside th paint and tryin to be dyess 2.0. I am interested to see if Lawrence screws up the chemistry by trying to force minutes to BG and Bynum instead of using them as necessary. I think we have settled into a rotation of players that play well together and are getting used to each other and even beginning to trust each other with some of the passes being made. Guys are cutting and the passes are starting to be there.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good write up Alexa. I noticed something new from Knight - hitting 3's from a standstill. He had been missing if not stepping into the shot. Probably due to some extended time to practice lately.

Monroe is doing great of late - but remember who he is shooting his shots against - not playoff caliber defenders much of late. Still, he has learned to read the defense in front of him, and to shoot the ball accordingly, thus those blocks of his shots are not happening anymore. But lets see if he has enough moves to score on the best.

JJ still is no power forward. Still would like to see him start at small forward. And as good as Russel is handling the ball, I would still rather see Daye at those guard minutes, providing a mismatch for us to exploit.

Which would mean playing Macklin some. Still not a bad idea - we need more size inside.

Coach has cleaned up a lot of bad practices of his. Like playing Ben Wallace and Jason together and giving us no hope of scoring. Minimizing how long JJ and Monroe get paired up. Still a bit too much for my liking. Not playing JMAX nor Ben Wallace in too long of stretches. Whether JMAX gets into foul trouble or not, he comes out about 8 minutes into the game, replaced by JJ. For 4 minutes, we have no strength at all inside as JJ and Monroe get paired up. But Ben Wallace comes in to start the 2nd quarter.

And Wilkins is the odd man out it seems with the return of Ben Gordon. Always glad to see a non-scorer go out of the rotation.

I certainly hope new coach never falls into the pit of playing too many guards. Three guard set last game. Sure, NJ also had went 3 guard - but you can choose to overpower them when they do that instead of matching down.

Right in the playoff hunt, where we should be. Lets get some playoff experience for Knight and Monroe. And Daye.

Rotation:

Start: Knight, Daye, JJ, JMAX, Monroe

Bench: Stuckey, Gordon, Prince, Ben Wallace, Macklin

Rest of team: CV, Wilkins, Bynum, Russel.

Note, first time I have seen 13 guys play in a regular season game for the Pistons, at least as far as I can recall. I guess they suspended the old 12 man active roster? Kind of makes sense to have more active guys with the schedule this crazy bunched together.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I dont like the idea of starting daye at the 2, he will get blown by on defense and he has shown no abiity to use his length to score on smaller players as well as his shot being broken all season. Also asking JJ to match up with the smaller quicker 3s is just asking for trouble, he will be in foul trouble early and often. If we had Ben circa 2004 and Sheed playing our 4 and 5 spot I would say why not since they could erase the offensive players shot when they blew by daye and JJ. Monroe and Max are not gonna be able to cover them and we would simply open a driving lane for opponents. I think the rotation coach is using with Stuck at the 2 is our best option as our roster sits, he is able to put pressure on the defense and he showed the ability to drop it off tonight. Mix in BG in sub minutes as long as he isnt required to bring the ball up and give him a turn over and he can be useful. I Think GM is showing he isnt gonna shy away from contact down low and Max is beginning to show what we all loved when he first got here. I think we use BK and stuck at the 1,2 and Tay at the 3, Max and GM at the 4/5 and use BG and JJ as the first subs for 1,2 and 3,4...pretty much how coach has been running it on the streak. Daye continues to get spot minutes til he shows an ability to hit a set shot and stops using the Tay pump and drive which almost always turns into a turnover. The 1 change I would like to see is a few spot minutes for Mac in real situations at the 4/5.
  18. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Thanks Lee. :cheers: About Monroe, true that Kris Humphries and Sheldon Williams aren't winning DPOY anytime soon, but I think he has somewhat proven he can do well even against a very good defender; he had his career high against Bogut after all, though he did struggle a lot against Dalembert. We should get a chance to see him against one of the best in Timmy and his Spurs' solid team defense the game after next though, I'm really looking forward to it.
    I have to agree with Copper about Daye; he will get his behind kicked at the two, and the turnovers are probably going to drive us all nuts. Austin's handles are mediocre for a SF; it's terrible for a guard. I'm okay with the rotation as is, but I reserve the right to change my mind later.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Joe is probably picking his sweatshirt up off the floor, grabbing a pop tart and heading into the office so he can extend some of these guys contracts as I type.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  20. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I just came over here to see who voted for New Jersey.