New Jersey April 4th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'April 2008' started by Dlev59, Apr 2, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey = The Macrowave.

His jumpshot is officially not a weakness of his at this point. His range is limited, but that's OK, cause it keeps him interested in getting as close to the bucket as possible. He and Maxiell are pretty nice on the P&R.

No real point in analyzing that game. It was just fun. Dixon, Dyess, Sheed, and Stuckey were all pretty nifty.

I like the way that Flip is finishing the season out. Sit a couple guys each game, but still try to win.

2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Problem is that in PO-s you just cant waste time to see if hayes has a good night or not, same goes for dixon, maxiell, etc: if they do not produce something in 2-3 minutes and it reflects from overall score badly, they are out.

3. max

max All-Star

You are getting all worked up over nothing.

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Enjoyable game unless you were from New Jersey.

30 of 55 points in the first half from the starting frontline. Pretty good for a guard oriented team.

It was a bit of adventure in dribbling for Affalo last night. It seemed like the ball he was playing with had more air in it than the ball the others were using - he looked pretty unsteady. Nice D though and he was at least pushing the ball up.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Thats your opinion. And I hope it remains nothing. As long as Flip does not get a chance to mess it all up, there will be nothing to it. But if you are asking me to trust Flip, forget it. All I will continue to do is hope Dumars keeps control of the situation, and that Stuckey, Maxiell, Amir, and Afflalo all remain strongly in the rotation.

6. max

max All-Star

Here is what we know.

1) When Rip is out Afflalo starts. AA starts not Hunter, not Dixon, so Afflalo is the 4th guard overall and Rips direct backup. In the post game Michael Curry was really talking up AA. I don't think he would be doing that if the staff did not take AA seriously. The Hunter comming back experiment has failed and has come to an end. Hunter will not soak up many mins at all from AA in the post-season.

2) Stucky knows how to score and will continue to get major mins no matter the competition.

Only question mark is Amir. Unless he can beat out Maxiel then he will continue to take a back seat to both him and Ratliff. I think Amir deserves consideration above Maxiel but thats another topic. At any rate, its a good problem to have - don't you think?

Flip has never had much of a bench before so I don't think its fair to judge him on the past 2 seasons.

7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

We are well past the point that Hunter was pronounced to be taking over time. In front of our eyes something great has happened AA has kept improving day by day min by min to the point that he is not allowing the coaching staff to put him on the bench. This is what Darko never sniffed..... Its not about being given mins its about taking mins, playing so well that the coaching staff doesn't have a choice..

AJ is close to the same point, his only problem is that he plays at a position that Size does matter so its a bit harder for him to force the issue against the bigger 5's of the league.

Maybe some of the zoo crew won't play as much as people here want but every min they get on the court will be earned. Earned and basically ripped from older veterns with the knowledge and knowhow thru pure talent and attitude.

Its something that no matter how much folks here campaigned for Darko, Delfino, Dupree, and a host of other bench players we've had over the last 5 years never did.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not that I will get into it right now, but I strongly disagree about Flip not having a bench the last two seasons.

Yes, it is looking less likely that Flip will remove Afflalo from the rotation. But no certainty. Dixon has been injured. (calf injury.) And Flip could quite unwisely go to a three man rotation at guard, cutting out any 4th guard.

As far as Hunter, we really don't know if he is even healthy, since he has never played extended / regular minutes at any point this season.

On Amir, there is always room in the rotation for a guy who can move that quick, with all that length and ups. I will accept no excuse at all for him not playing. Only in Flip's mind is there any competition between Amir and Maxiell. I won't accept that notion for a nanosecond.

9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

this was another fun game to watch. i love that we're realizing that pushing the ball is a great idea. stuckey's floor vision has always been good, but it's looking even better now, and if that jumpshot keeps falling and his range keeps increasing, he's going to become special. afflalo's defense continues to impress...there was one possession where he forced jefferson into a bad shot, despite jefferson's size and athleticism, AA didn't back down.

not much else to say that hasn't already been said. great game.

10. max

max All-Star

Thats a good take. Just not enough mins to go around. You know player x should play more but when and where is the question.

Hunter is healthy as far as I can tell.

One thing Curry said in the post-game was that Afflalo does a lot of things that do not show up in the stat line. Last night he only had 2 points going way into the 2nd half.

Whats the difference between Curry when he played years ago and Afflalo now? I cannot see much of a difference.

If Stucky is the new Microwave then Afflalo is the new Curry.

11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

You have your opinion but your ability to back it up is quite questionable: your tactic is basically "but this player from bench could/would..." It is very comfortable tactic: you can't prove it anyway, and when you cant prove it you can claim whatever you want.

12. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You can't see the difference? Curry getting two assists in one game was rare. Curry getting two rebounds in a game was rare. Curry scoring more than two points in a game was rare. And his defense was horrid. Curry was so slow, the other teams planned their attack against him. Wherever Curry was, that is where they ran their play thru.

Not long after leaving us, we find Curry playing for O'Neil up in Toronto. At least O'Neil recognized how slow Curry was and played him at power forward. Which was a joke in itself, as Curry could not rebound. As Toronto was a team I was following at the time, I did not appreciate at all the decision to put him on the team, and I think Curry is why O'Neil was let go in Toronto and may have been part of why Carlisle had to go in Indiana. Curry simply could not play basketball anymore the last two years we had him, let alone the years in Toronto and Indiana. (briefly.)

14. linwood

linwood All-Star

15. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It's not that bad actually. Takes time to figure it out though.
    :hoops:

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

If you want to talk about opinions, I got a question. Do you even have any opinions? Unless you do have a competing opinion to mine, then I can't see where we can really have a discussion.

For instance, right now I say that having Amir playing for us regularly in the rotation is more important to us vs. Theo playing in the rotation. However, I do like Theo, and think he has his place too. What is your opinion on that? (If you have one.)

17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think that Amir is the future of this team and Theo is not. Theo is a current stop gap and the importance should be placed on developing Amir vs. integrating Theo in.

18. max

max All-Star

Is 0.7 APG rare? Thats what AA avgs. 1.7 RPG. Just because you say Curry was a poor defender does not make it true.

19. max

max All-Star

I am not quit sure Theo is all the way there yet but there are 7 more games to go.

20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

When it comes to the playoffs and "rotations' and minutes for Amir and AA, I just fail to waste time commenting. So let me try 'educating' instead.

1. NO TEAM HAS EVER GONE 16-0 TO WIN THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!!
    What that means is the Pistons, based on their winning pct., need to go at least 16-7 or 8 to be successful. The more games they lose AFTER THAT will dtermine how much MORE the bench will be needed.

2. WE ARE RESTING UP to get to the playoffs IN ORDER TO come out smoking in round 1 and in the first qtr. We need to handle our business early and IF we do, then we can get playoff expirience for Stuckey, Johnson and AA. Its totally up to Fab 5 to set the tone for this run.

3. I REFUSE TO BLAME FLIP for any playoff burn out this year. Looking back, it's been a 'good enough' season as far as setting things in place for a championship. The starters look fresh and the bench energetic. I actually prefer at least 32 MPG for each starter because if we sweep a series and have to wait 5 NBA DAYS for the next round to begin , those old legs won't get so stiff. I know when I go a couple of days not working out, that 3rd day is gonna be hell.

Countdown to fun has begun.....