New Era? Let's assess our assets...all bets are off

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 15, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

If the rumors of Joe Dumars and Lawrence Frank being out at the end of this season are true, it's gonna be a whole new ball game. New man at the helm. New philosophy. New scouting department. New head coach and staff. New perspective on (and no allegiance to) the current roster. Let's make some big picture assesments..

#1) A. Drummond. 19. 6-10, 270lbs. I might not even need to use all the fingers on one hand to name all the players I'd consider trading Andre Drummond for. If he can stay healthy, I think he's going to be the best all-around true big man in the entire league prior to his should've been senior season. He's about as big as any center in the league. He's the most athletic true big man in the league. I think he's going to be the best interior defender and rebounder in the league. I think he's eventually going to be one of the best interior scorers in the league. Throw in that he's got ALL the intangibles - humble, team-first, hard-working, great citizen, etc. THAT's an asset.

#2) G. Monroe. 22. 6-11, 250lbs. Greg Monroe might not be the perfect fit here, but he's still one HELL of an asset. He's college senior-aged. He's got great size for an NBA center. He's got solid athleticism for an NBA center. He's a solid interior defender and rebounder for an NBA center. He's a great interior scorer, and a great passer too. In terms of intangibles, he's as good as it gets too. Personally, I don't think he fits here next to Drummond. I'd prefer someone who could spread the court out with perimeter shooting, who could attack the rim from the perimeter, who could run the court better, who could better defend ever-diversifying NBA 4's. But Monroe could be a franchise big man for a lot of teams, competitive or not. I guess it sort of depends on the talent of the given draft, but I think he's worth a top-5 or so pick right now. How about you? If we could get that, I think I'd probably take it (though I might prefer a '14 pick).

#3) B. Knight. 21. 6-3, 190lbs. Personally, I'm not much of a Brandon Knight fan, but he's still an asset. He's college junior-aged. He's got great size for an NBA point guard. He's an incredible athlete. He doesn't have NBA point guard-IQ yet, but he's a solid enough ball-handler and passer; and a smart kid with great intangibles, so the potential's there. He's not much of a perimeter shooter at this point, but he's got a great release and has made strides; so again, the potential to be a great one is there. He's not much of a perimeter defender at this point either, but again, because of his size, athleticism and intangibles, the potential to be a great one is there. It'd again depend on the talent of the given draft, but I think he's worth a mid-1st rd. or so pick right now. How about you? If we could get that, I think I'd probably take it too (again, preferring a '14 pick). I'm not lying above. I really do think he has all the potential to reach those heights. I don't know though. I guess I'd just prefer to see someone else there. Someone who's more of an instinctual point guard...better feel for the game...better control of the game and his teammates / a leader.

#4) 2013 1st round pick. Should be quite high. We'll see where. We'll see who's there. Once again, a '14 pick would be preferable (*I know it'd suck next season, and that we're not going to move our lone '13 pick, but if no one's there...I'd like to see us make the smart move).

#5) 2014 1st round pick (top-8 protected). Barring the unforeseen, I'd imagine that we get to keep this.

#6) Cap Space. The one asset that I want to keep (Drummond) is in the first year of a rookie contract; and the assets that I hope we add over the next two seasons will all be on rookie contracts as well. So, we could be in great cap-standing for a long-time to come. I say wait until we're an attractive enough team to attract actually attractive free agents before making any big long-term commitments. Might be able to find the right player or two at the right time taking this approach (as opposed to whatever the hell Joe-D was planning on doing).

#7) Role players. V. Kravtsov(25). J. Jerebko(26). K. Singler(24). K. Middleton(21). K. English(24). I see no problem with keeping these guys on the roster, perhaps save English. Great attitudes with NBA skills, for the most part, who could be members of a 12-man championship roster someday.

#8) R. Stuckey(26). I don't know about him. He could potentially have value as a combo-guard off the bench with a unique NBA skill-set. But how big of a negative impact does his attitude have on our young players? I wouldn't know. But I'm guessing that it's not positive. If we could get something like a late first round pick for him, I'd be all over it. What do you think?

#9) C. Villanueva(28). C. Maggette(33). J. Calderon(31). J. Maxiel(30). W. Bynum(30). Villanueva must be amnestied immediately. Seriously, I hate everything about him. The other three I wouldn't mind retaining on short-contracts as mentors. I like the knowledge that Jose brings, and the attitude that the other two bring. Maggette probably has no place here.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I can confirm, Greg Monroe is a helluva asset.

3. blueadams

Speaking in specifics..

IF we could turn Monroe into McLemore, I'd do it. If not, I'd get the most promising '14 pick I could asap.

IF we could get Burke with our pick, I'd do it. If not, I'd get the most promising '14 pick I could asap.

IF we could turn Knight into Adetokunbo, I'd do it. If not, I'd get the most promising '14 pick I could asap.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Would you package Drummond, Monroe, and our #1 draft pick for a chance to draft Adetokunbo?

S.J. likes this.
  5. blueadams

I said Knight because I meant it.

6. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

No way do you turn Monroe into McLemore.

Giannis will probably go 10-14. I would be tempted to give up Knight for a top 14 pick.

7. blueadams

If we could get Burke (with our pick) I would, for sure.

8. BillLaimbeer

The Pistons need to win now. There is no need for 2014 picks or project players that may or may not be good in 2-3 years. Next season needs to be a playoff year for this franchise.

basketbills, BallDon'tLie and S.J. like this.
  9. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I'm agree with what Bill said.

In fact, I was reading your post and expecting to see some invented trades when we give up Knight for an experienced PG and Monroe for Big Al Jefferson or something like that... I wasn't expecting to see trades to get MORE YOUNG PLAYERS who we don't know how they will be ending up.

Of course it's fun to think of Jabari Parker, Wiggings, Julius Randle or Aaron Gordon in a Pistons Jersey, and is twice as fun to imagine 2 of those 4 together here... but we need playoffs right now.. we need experimented players between 25-29 years old who are craving for a championship.

Don't get me wrong, If we can't get those kind of players, well, I wouldn't have any problem to trade Knight and Monroe for 2014 draft picks. I'm not in favor of keeping anybody on this team except for Drummond..

The Panda likes this.
  10. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

With Monroe and Drummond on the team, whoever the coach and GM are next year would have to put effort into losing in order to land a top 10 pick.

And again, I love Drummond, but the best centers in the league don't go 2-4 (1-4 from the stripe) for 5 points and 8 boards and 6 fouls in 33 minutes against Spencer Hawes. More turnovers than buckets, more fouls than steals and blocks. It was one bad game, but a franchise guy can't do that on any more than an occasional basis. He's got some work to do this summer.

11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I lol'd. Good one.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Monroe was having a nice offensive game and Drummond blended in. 8 rebounds was 2nd most on the team. The leading rebounded on Philly only had 9.

KGREG likes this.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

After getting the chance to see Drummond and GM play together......I kind of like it. I think Drum will allow Greg to focus on offense and rebounding, Drum will handle the muscle, defense and monster dunks. I take Burke in the draft, re-sign Calderon, I ponder the following: Corey Brewer, Paul Millsap and OJ Mayo......or all 3! If we cut Rodney, that's about $30M in salary space and which would be about $7.5M/ea give and/or take a mill-mill5 from one or two of them i.e Brewer and Calderon.

14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Brewer will be a fan favorite if he ever comes to Detroit.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think I'd rather role with Knight at the point now. The main reason I would fire Frank is the minimal amount of time they spent on the floor together this year. That's criminal.

I might pay Mayo out of your group of FA's. There are a million Brewer's out there. There is no need to pay him that sort of $$ (although I like him).

Going into next year I want Knight to hog the ball. I want him playing as fast as he can. With those 3 (plus the Greek) they can fill in the minutes with cheap shooters and/or defenders. The only guy I'm paying is someone who can play monster minutes at the 2 or 3.

16. BillLaimbeer

So, you have Burke, Calderon, Knight, and Brewer in your backcourt? Seems crowded.

17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Drummond - obvious keeper; build around him or at least with him in mind.
    Monroe - keeper; he's proving that he a Drum will be good together. Monroe is mos-def in the top-5 young bigs that you'd want to build around.
    Max - Hopefully his eye injury requires him to wear an eyepatch; If that's the case, sign him no matter what it costs; ...If no eyepatch, let him walk.
    Singler - cheap keeper; needs to play waaaaaaaay less minutes next year (obviously); he's a role player not a starter.
    Middleton - keeper; I'm reluctant to part ways with inexpensive players that seem to be developing and increasing in value.
    Kenny - 12th man; I like the idea of having a 12th man with his attitude; he's tough and will make others better in practice.
    Stuckey - time to part ways; pay him $4mil and let him walk; I don't see Joe being able to trade him for anything that could be considered as a positive asset unless he can find a team that is crippled by the lux tax in 2014 and needs to "take a dump".
    TRG - he's got two more years on his deal after this season; he's cheap; he could be used as trade fodder or an extra big off the bench; has anyone even coached this guy at all this season???
    Charlie - another expiring deal which might be worth something to a team that finds itself in a tough situation. Whatever happens, I don't want him to play or practice with the team; pay him to stay home while you try and trade him or amnesty him if you think you need his cap space.
    Teen Wolf - I'd re-sign him if the money looks right; he's the type of guy that can win you a couple games by himself; he also might be a trade piece if you can sign him to a good contract.
    Maggette - obviously gone
    Jerebko - 2 more years; hopefully, his recent play will continue to improve; He and Singler can be your "glue twins; also a tradeable contract if he keeps balling like he has been more consistantly.
    Knight - I still think he's too smart to not continue on the path to being a solid player
    Calderon - This is the tough one for me, I kinda get the feeling that he's going to want to play somewhere else next year. I wouldn't overpay for him but I don't mind bringing him back at a fair price.

18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If we bring Jose back next year, then no need to also bring back Bynum.

19. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Drummond and Monroe are far more valuable pieces than everyone else on the team. I thought that those two and this year's pick would be the core. Now, the Pistons have fallen in the draft so hard to say about the pick.

Everyone else is expendable.

That said, Knight still has promise but I wouldn't hesitate to take a guard with the pick if that is who is the best player available.

My concern with Calderon is that he is 31. By the time the core is ready for prime time he will be on the "old" side.

I would like to see Stuckey, Bynum, Maxiel and CV be given opportunities to start over with other teams. They should be moved one by one between now and next year.

JJ and Singler can fit in. JJ is finally showing some promise. I would keep Middleton.

The Pistons should start to win next year--no more lottery picks. If they get a free agent or two, they may win sooner than later. But better to take time with the youth than bring in non-productive free agents. Then, save the money.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Shush!