Nets land Deron Williams

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Walter, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Jazz deal All-Star Williams to Nets - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

It seems like after Sloan's departure, the Jazz are gutting the team. Wonder if they'll listen to offers for big Al now.
  2. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I posted in the Nets/Pistons thread that Joe should go after an AK/Al swap for Tay, Rip, and Max. DO IT JOE DO IT!
  3. Walter

Yea, HFT, I saw that. Sorry for the double post.

I like that trade idea, but the Jazz would be in salary dump mode now. No way they're taking on Rip and Max. They probably can do better than that with AK's expiring or just hang on to it.

Unless they want to rebuild around Al Jefferson, they would be willing to listen to offers. Prince+Max for Al Jeff works. We throw in a couple of picks in there to entice the offer if necessary.
  4. hitafreethrow

Man, losing Sloan has thrown this organization into a tailspin. Deron Williams is a player you build franchises around, and have Al Jeff be your #2 is about as good as it gets as well. They have some pieces on this franchise, were they that concerned with losing D-Will? Play hard, win games, and it seems like to me a player would want to stay and run a team. Maybe I'm wrong, but D-Will doesn't seem like the kind of player to quit on something he started. They were going to have cap space too! Losing AK would have given them the ability to get a decent shooting guard, or maybe even a decent shooting guard and SF (Tay for around 6 a year and Stuckey for the same?)
  5. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

So what does this leave the Nets to put around Jason Kidd 2.0?

They're trading away their Kenyon Martin

all I really see in their lineup is a slightly improved Lucious Harris.

They don't even have a Keith Van Horn to play the role of 'could have been'. (or do they?)

This team isn't going anywhere without a boatload of luck.
  6. hitafreethrow

Well they do have Brook Lopez...but Lopez is NOT any upgrade over Al Jeff, but who knows. I think Brook's style of play goes better with D-Will's than Jefferson's does, and Devin Harris with Jefferson as well. Could be interesting, this is a good move for the Jazz I think. I love Williams, but they get a solid, previous all star caliber PG, and an up and coming big.
  7. Walter

I don't think we have heard the last about the situation in Utah. The issues there were probably much deeper than what's been revealed so far.

We should see a "Behind the basketball" special on VH1 soon.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This would totally be the direction I would go in if I were a GM with cap space.
  9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Wow. Utah lost CJ, D-Will and Sloan in a short period of time.

I'd take this deal over the Carmelo deal they offered Denver anyday. They still got a bunch of first rounders left, right? (I guess they had to give up the best ones, but still) And some cap space?
  10. hitafreethrow

And a team oriented player!
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is there anyway Joe can trump the Melo-Knicks deal and the D-Will -Nets deal with his own blockbuster deal?? It would require [STRIKE]moving[/STRIKE] dumping 5 pistons off to other teams in a major shakeup. To bad it won't happen.
  12. DesmoPiston

DesmoPiston First Round Draft Pick

I don't know why someone would trade an excellent PG, the rare kind, in NBA. Such a retarded move on Utah. They should have learned something from Joe trading CB.

Well... Jazz fans, welcome to the sucky era of your franchise. :MusicBigGrin:
  13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Rob Mahoneys take on the trade.

Sounds like a decent plan b to me. Another upside is that other big name players might want to play with one of the best PG:s in the league, compared to a guy who tries to score everytime he gets the ball.

Nets Trump Knicks With Deron Williams Deal - NYTimes.com
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Because they knew he was going to opt out of his contract next season and rather than go through the Melo Drama they were pro-active. SMART!

Now I'm about to start a rant of nasty curse words because I just posted that getting Williams was a possibility, I would have gladly sent them, Tay, Stuckey, Monroe, and our 2011 unprotected 1st rdr for D-Williams, how much y'all wanna bet that D-Howard becomes a Net soon............ well looks like Brook Lopez can be had in free agency because you know they're going after Howard.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

If the Jazz are in dump mode now and see Favors as the future then we need to see if they'll deal Big AL (or Millsap, hell I'll take Memo) for Tay and a 1st rdr.

Funny though, with what the Nets gave up, it doesn't really make them a better team, will they stay in the lottery beyond this season? If so does that mean D-Will still becomes available?
  16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

why is everyone saying deron williams is clearly the superior player over carmelo anthony?
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

D-Will may have the same issues with the little general~Avery, that he had with Sloan. So there is a possibility that he is already squawking midway through next season and the Knicks will be trying to entice him into taking that one way subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan
  18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You could not make this stuff up. Long live Jerry Sloan!:pound::pound::pound:
  19. Walter

KGREG is a former PG, therefore a PG >>>> a SF. :stirthepot:

In all seriousness, the idea is while Melo might be an overall better basketball player than Williams, Williams has the capability of elevating his teammates. Adding a PG of Williams' caliber improves a team more than adding a SF of Melo's caliber.

Therefore, even though Melo might be the better player on a head-to-head comparison, Williams is the more valuable player.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think KGREG was more of a PG in the mold of Rodney Stuckey.