NBA TV and NBA League Pass

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by aurora, Jul 7, 2006.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Does anyone in the forum here get NBA TV? I'm thinking I will get it but I'd like to know what anyone thinks of it. I'm from Seattle and I want to see more Pistons games than I was able to see last year. Also I want to see the BadBoySummerCamp games. If anyone who has it could post some info about it, whether they think its worth the money. Do they have any old games on NBA TV? I'd like to see some of the old classic games when the teams, particularly Bad Boys, were allowed to play defense. I don't get ESPN classic in my present cable package.

Also, what is League Pass? Is it part of NBATV or an additional package and charge? I would put this in the Green Room as an Inquiring Pistons Fan Wants to Know question, but I think it might get seen here by people who actually have this NBA TV. Thanks!

P.S. Is the commentating any better for NBATV than it is for ESPN, ABC
    or TNT? It would be nice to be able to watch a game without having the sound on MUTE.

2. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I've had NBA LP for the past 2 years. I love it. Especially if you are a fan of young players / college players that are rookies and you want to see their progress on their respective teams. It's great for a true basketball lover because you can literally watch a game everynight. You can see all the other teams in your division play, you can watch guys you wouldn't normally see alot of (I like Elton Brand ALOT as a player). I watched Darko everygame after he was traded, because for YEARS we were told about him but NEVER got to see him.

It's great. I definately think is worth more than you pay for it. Every year that you have it, (or at least mine anyways) it will get a touch cheaper if you get the "early bird special". Last year I got my NBA LP for $159. It's great for anyone who loves basketball.

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've had it for the past couple of years. For my cable system I only get NBATV as part of LP. That seems to vary by provider. Sometimes NBATV comes as part of an extended basic package. There are eight or nine channels that basically carry all the games. You get one of the two team's broadcasters and some of them are pretty annoying. As JA says, buy early when they offer the deals before the season starts. You can save twenty or thirty bucks.

I hadn't realized until getting LP how hard it must be to follow the NBA in the west time zone. No game starts later than 7:30 or 8:00 so no late games. If you can, get a DVR to go along with it so you can record the east and central games. Plus, it will allow you to watch two games at once.

4. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Picked up NBA TV last summer specifically to watch last year's summer league games. For $5 a month I get NBA TV and couple other (non-basketball and never watched) channels.

I don't have time to watch other games so I didn't even use the NBA TV channel too much last year. I often caught the NBA Recap show in the morning which was useful. Otherwise, there's a lot of a advertising and classic games in addition to NBA and WNBA games in season.

I plan to cancel after this month's summer league action.

5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

To answer your original questions, NBA TV is a television channel owned and run by the league from Secaucus, New Jersey. I think it's on cable or satellite packages as a basic channel. It's Channel 560 on my Dish Network setup.

There's a TV studio where a few alternating hosts (mediocre at best) and some former players like Fred Carter, Gail Goodrich and Jim Spanarkle host highlights and provide analysis. Once in a while somebody hosts a fantasy show or shows international games, and they also run old ESPN Classic programs or stuff like "The White Shadow." It's not super professional, but you can see game highlights pretty much anytime you like, with a little more detail and a lot less waiting than with ESPN. All basketball, a lot less BS.

League Pass is the premium subscriber package from NBA TV. You can see multiple games from around the country every night, usually on the local Fox Sports channel. So you see games with the local announcers, like Fred McLeod and Greg Kelser with the Pistons. Sometimes there are blacked-out games when the NBA is on TNT or ESPN.

It's a good deal for $159 or so, but you don't get the playoff games without paying extra (which sucks). Not every Piston game gets carried, if it's on WB or some other local network affiliate that isn't part of the League Pass arrangement. If you want it you can call your cable or satellite problem and get it pretty easily. Sometimes they'll charge you in installments, like $53 three months in a row, which is helpful for some folks.

6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

This usually isn't an issue because if it's on a local affiliate, you just get the Pistons opponent's broadcast feed.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

NBATV shows some NBA games... some International games... a lot of NBA classics and they provide daily analysis.
    League pass is where it's at... just be prepared to watch way too much basketball (is that possible?)... 7PM -1:00 AM every day...you'll find yourself staying up to see the end of a West coast games.
    Luv it during the playoffs
    Excellent way to gain knowledge of the players you normally would only see twice a year.
    4 years and ready to renew.

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lil Kim, I have had the NBA League pass since 1998 (yes during teal years) and as Merc says you will be inandated with games every night from 4-10PM (since you are west coast like me.) You can see all of the Piston game as well as the other NBA games and see how the "HOMER" announcers spin their teams play-by-play:laugh:

NBA TV first appeared on my DirecTV satellite system in 2003 and it tied into League Pass, but continues to air during the off season. As others have indicated it provides a wide variety of BB fanfare such as old allstar games, old NBA drafts, hardwood classics, International play, Summer league games, White Shadow, & WNBA games. During the season, it provides nightly recaps and highlights of every game, and an inprocess stat and scoreboard. It also has a nightly feature doing the season of fantasy basketball tips. The NBA Insiders come on to talk about the prior night games as well as review controversial fouls with Ronnie Nunn, the head of officials.

During the playoffs it shows the post game news conferences once it gets to the conference finals and THE finals so you get to see the coaches and players give excuses of why they lost. The next day they re-run the playoff games from both TNT and ESPN, so you get see Charles and company's analysis again too. Finally whatever team wins the ship, you get to see their parade...it was good in 2004:)

Is that enough info for you to purchase it??? I don't get an extra charge for the NBA TV and my NBA League pass runs $139 a year in four easy payments during the season.

9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Plus you get to have Fred Carter point that Arsenio-sized finger at you and say "Word!"

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LOL >Lanierfan on maddog!! with his infamous quote "Lakers in four, Pistons in can't score" :laugh:

11. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Hooray! I had to change my basic cable to digital, but I now have NBATV for only $5/month more. I wish I had been able to get it soon enough to see SL Pistons.:mad: But there's still Rocky Pt. Summer League on there so tomorrow night I'll get to see Dee Brown play for Utah (I'M A HUGE ILLINOIS FAN) and Pops Mensah-Bonsu play with Mavs. And then tonight on Hardwood Classics, I get to see Iverson in a Game 7 2001 ECF Finals Game with Toronto(?!). (Really, Toronto?)

NBA League Pass goes on sale in November and I am definitely getting it. Oh I can hardly wait for the season to start when I can watch all Pistons games and tons of other ones too!!! I'll be watching basketball from 4pm-midnight every night I hope!!!

Thanks jackattaq, dba, KP, LanierFan, The Low, Mercury and LaDre for all the input about this. I'm hooked up! Now, when are they going to program some Bad Boys for me?:eyebrows:

12. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Oh My God La Dre! I am SO in love with my NBA TV. :rapture:

That game rocked. To see some of those guys in their prime. To see Shaq that young, Gary Payton that crafty, John Stockton for the first time, and Reggie with explosive vertical jump, and then Grant Hill, woo hoo, major finesse and a Piston too then! Charles Barkley, WOW. Charles was just combustible energy out there. That standing ovation and chanting for Charles by the crowd even though he was leaving the Suns!

I don't know how they'd match up with USA LeBron Wade, but they sure got a ton of fast break points and points in the paint. The thing that strikes me is how much more of the game was played in the paint. The 1996 team had only practiced ten days before that game! Truly I think they would beat USA Version 2006.

Right after the game there was a show with the old Celtics coach. It was an old show, a little half hour clinic on basketball techniques and strategy demonstrated by get this: Larry Bird, Ralph Sampson, Dr. J., Pete Maravich and other famous players. I got to see these great players teaching the fundamentals, and the lecture of the coach (was that Red Auerbach?) was incredible too. Finally I really understand the and point of a pick and roll. And that coach explained how the post player is supposed to play and why and it made total sense. (How Sheed doesn't play! Never take more than one step one direction or the other, stay in your spot so you can get offensive rebounds.) Anyway, it was great. Pete Maravich did these incredible dribbling exercises that made me want to go down to the court at my local park tomorrow!

Anyway, ESPN used to be my default channel and now I just default to NBATV all the time. Seen some fantastic Larry Bird games, Isiah games, Magic games, it's all so great! :whoo:

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

kmw,

I watched the Raptors against the Knicks the other day on NBATV and was struck by how much of the game was played within the paint. I was trying to ascertain how much better Vince Carter has become, but couldn't help but notice how most of the play was well inside the 3 point line.

Scoring in traffic is an artform.

14. Pwn Toney

You probably now have an idea why I'm always complaining about jump shooting teams/offenses. I grew up watching in the 80's with Lakers/Celtics/Pistons so I have a hard time adjusting to the way things are going now.

However, I'm really glad that you are getting a chance to see some of these things for the first time and that you able to pick up on some fo the things some of the "old timers" yap about.

Enjoy

15. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Thanks Low. Guess who I saw for the first time yesterday?
    CLYDE DREXLER!!! OH MY GOD. :hail: :whoo: :rapture: UNREAL.

Magic, Michael Jordan, David Robinson, Sir Charles and Larry Bird were the starters for this game. Drexler stole the show coming off the bench and seemed to be the crowd favorite. Every time something really stupendous happened, there was Drexler. Never even heard of him before today.

NBA Hardwood Classics: 1992 Tournament of America: USA vs. Cuba, 6-28-1992

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Drexler blew me away in 1990 when the Pistons played the Blazers in the Finals.

Clyde "The Glide" should be a HOFer in my opinion.

17. Pwn Toney

I have two life size Drexler posters. He was my favorite player as he was the anti-jordan in the 80's. As far as 2 guards went at that time in the NBA, it was #1 MJ and #2 Clyde Drexler. He spent most of his career in Portland, so there wasn't much media fan fare to follow him around.

But being a solid Pistons fan, I was in heaven during the 1990 NBA Finals. You have no idea how many days I spent in high school trying to explain to people who Clyde actually was. When I was a "baller" there was only one thing I wanted to be when I grew up.....Clyde Drexler.

That guy is my favorite baller of all-time and nothing made me happier than the 1995 NBA Finals outcome.

18. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Does anyone know whether NBA League Pass is on sale yet?

19. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

It normally goes on sale just prior to the preseason games. Don't expect all of them to be televised though. They normally show the last batch of the games and they are done "unofficially".

20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

He was inducted two years ago, Roscoe. He's also in the "super Hall of Fame" club of the 1996 NBA 50th anniversary "50 greatest players of all time."