NBA Sent NHL Bettman

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Superstarov, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

This is a decent article, for those of you don't follow too closely, what Hockey fans have had to deal with lately.

Unhappy anniversary - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

As the conspiracy theory goes, Stern sensed the potential trouble in 1993 while the NHL was in search of a new commissioner. So he looked around his own office for someone so incompetent that if they got the job, the NHL would be marginalized by their mismanagement and never again be a threat to the NBA.

Naturally, Stern recommended one of his assistants, Gary Bettman, for the job.

Yep. Makes sense to me.

Seriously though, that guy thinks that the NHL has the power to expand like the NBA. Moron.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I love it when writers let out their inner fan.

This is a great article (fixed the link). Must read stuff for Hockey fans.
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great read. Bettman is like Millen. No matter how poorly they do, they still have jobs.

I couldn't believe it when I found out the All-Star game was on a weekday. Not only is Bettman not growing the game (or in actuality, over growing the game in non-hockey markets), he's alienating true hockey fans. Something he can't afford to do in a post-lockout NHL.
  4. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

That guy has caused more problems than he has solved, and the new "tighter" uniforms remind me of David Stern's Basketball. Maybe they'll stick around, but it seems that he has invested a ton of research into the wrong area. He needs to get the league on a real network, and get more exposure (and stop carrying Sidney Crosby's jock strap already for crying out loud).

[​IMG]
    From USA TODAY

I like that they have made the game a little faster, getting rid of clutching and the 2-line pass, and setting limits on goaltender equipment, but that was more Shannahan than Bettman anyway. Getting rid of fighting and the physical element has driven off some long time fans, and the "new look" hasn't attracted new fans.

The NHL will be better off when this guy gets a multi-million dollar severance package and hits the road.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think it was Nike that first came out with a tighter fitting jersey a couple of years ago.

I believe Team Canada (maybe the junior team) used them in competition a while back.