NBA Playoffs....Are you fired up?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Apr 25, 2012.

?

Are you fired up for the NBA playoffs?

Poll closed May 5, 2012.
  1. YES, I WILL WATCH EVERY POSSIBLE GAME! I AM SO EXCITED, I WILL ANSWER IN ALL CAPS!!

17.6%
  2. I love the NBA playoffs. I will catch a few games here and there. I'll definitely watch the Finals.

29.4%
  3. I'm fired up to watch my 2nd favorite NBA team and root them on to a championship

23.5%
  4. I'll watch some action if I'm bored and the remote happens to stop at the right time and channel

23.5%
  5. The season ends for me on Thursday, April 26 when the Pistons season ends

5.9%
  1. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Possibly a new signature here for me..............:)
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What if this is merely the calm before the storm?
  3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

THE CRAMP GAME might have won over quite a few NBA fans and writers but he's still got ways to go until he pleases this crowd:

NHL Players Mock LeBron James’ Leg Cramps Via Twitter During Game 4 Of NBA Finals « CBS Boston

basketbills and BallDon'tLie like this.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Hockey players are by far the most badass of all American team sport athletes. (Except for Ronnie Lott)
  5. Nemo

Heck...........when Ronnie Lott chopped off his finger during a game.........he put BBQ sauce on it and.............
  6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

7. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

cheaters? How? What did they do? Or are you simply jealous because the Pistons even suck at tanking?
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The saying is "it's ain't over till it's over" and even their are 3 more games scheduled this one is indeed ova....since no NBA finals participant has ever comeback from a 3-1 deficit. The NBA can start packing those the Thunder championship t-shirts and caps to a third world country where no one will see them.

For all the criticism Lebron has gotten, he has proved that he was the best player out there during this whole playoff series...in my opinion. Yeah I was upset that the Thunder were in it could not pull it out three games in a row...with the help of refs, .....but the force is strong in this guy and I don't think he will let the Thunder team beat his team 3 times in a row. Especially with only two Thunder players showing up. With Harden being a no-show the other two can't carry the load unless another player steps up...(Ibaka and Sephalosha are to busy trying to guard Lebron, Wade and Bosh to be affective on the offensive end.) Oh by the way James Harden is a free agent....will he get paid for his 6th man award or his disappearing finals act?

I don't really mind the King getting his first ring....I am just upset that Wade may get his second one playing along a bigger star and all DW himself was get bailed out by the refs...both this year and 2006....
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Say what you like about Westbrook. I love his fashion sense. That's how you thumb your nose at the dress code!
  10. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I have said this so many times. I have a problem with tanking. It is cheating your fan base, and it is cheating the game. I am glad that the Pistons don't appear to do it. It fills me with pride. And of course, hopelessness.

And what do you mean, what did they do? They got consecutive top 4 draft picks, and got a team moved from Seattle under a number of suspicious circumstances.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

I have to disagree with you here. I think that tanking is a legitimate strategy for building a successful team. It's a high risk/ high reward way to build a successful franchise, especially for smaller market teams. The risk not only includes picking the wrong players in the draft, but also alienating the fan base while your team loses game after game.

As a Seattle resident and former Sonics fan, I love watching the Thunder (horrible logo aside). I went to about 60 regular season games (no playoffs!) in the last three years the team was here. The place was empty. Seattle really paid the ultimate price for being so lousy, but OKC was able to capitalize by assembling a cohesive young team through the draft and smart trades. I think that is much harder to do than just purchasing three future hall of fame players. Kevin Durant seemed like an excellent choice at the time, but they could have had Oden just as easily. Harden was a brilliant pick, and Westbrook went high in the draft, but I don't think anyone expected him to be this good. The year they picked Westbrook, Miami actually had the worst record in the leage (tanking? ) They got the second pick and took Beasley. Seattle picked 4th and took Westbrook.
    Nemo and BallDon'tLie like this.
  12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For teams that are unable to attract high class FA's, it's probably the only strategy aside from being very lucky with trades. The result of not wanting to tank while having a roster without many perspectives can be observed in Detroit, Michigan, in the next years.
  13. BallDon'tLie

Outright tanking is wrong.
    But there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with playing for the future when the present offers you no hope of success.
    Would playing and trying to develop Vern Macklin last season have been tanking?
    Would sitting Tay Prince and starting Jonas at SF have been tanking?

Doing things that help the team for the future while sacrificing success in the near term is NOT tanking. It's smart!
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. I call it stealth tanking. I made up this term stealth tanking to describe this very thing, but it never caught on. Perhaps if I say stealth tanking enough times, the phrase stealth tanking will catch on.
  15. Nemo

You need to add a player name which indicates tanking is starting, but effort will still seem to be there.
    The name must be synonomous with failure on a basketball level.
    A name that everybody in Pistonland knows.........

I'd suggest Darko Tanking.

He's a 7 footer, looks like he belongs, seems to try, but nothing happens.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

You raise an interesting point. What do you call the 2-3 years prior to those guys signing with Miami? The Heat were certainly not killing themselves to field the most competitive team they could those years.

They don't really have fans to alienate but still....
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

We should up with a name for when teams are legitimately tanking. How about "sneaky tanking"?
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

We should up with a name for when teams are legitimately tanking. How about "sneaky tanking"?
  19. BallDon'tLie

...or, sneaky leaking.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If tanking was legit, coaches would broadcast that they are doing it and that it is the reason for their poor coaching record.

However, I firmly believe that developing the younger players on your team when you know you can't make the playoffs is legit. The reason I believe that is because it would be a valid strategy even if there was no draft lottery. It's going to make the team stronger for the next year and it will allow management to evaluate the talent so that they can make informed decisions on personnel changes.

So, that is how you stealth tank with dignity.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.