NBA Finals - Magic vs. Lakers

Discussion in '2009 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think not fouling was the issue. The failing of the play was by the player(s) not the coach. It was a good idea to pressure in the back court because you force LA to burn the clock.

Had Nelson stationed himself at the 3 pt line after that and made Fisher drive when he had Howard waiting behind him it probably would have worked.

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nelson didn't have that experience of knowing how or where to station himself at the 3 pt line. ..

3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Agree with those who are backing the decision not to foul on that last possession in regulation. My rule of thumb is that you only give the foul up 3 if there are less than 5 seconds left, since more time than that is too much time for things to go wrong if you give up free points. The problem was Nelson failing to stay outside the 3 pt line on D...and, of course, Howard blowing the chance to make it a two possession game at the line.

Orlando showed a lot of determination to come back in the 4th after collapsing in the 3rd quarter, but they just couldn't close it out. Obviously they're done now, but I do give them credit for being a lot more competitive in this series than I thought they would be, especially after Game 1.

4. LA Dre

The last three games could have gone either way, so either team could be up 3-1 or it could already be over with a Laker sweep. If the Lakers win Sunday and Kobe and Fisher have similar games, who gets the MVP award?

5. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Stan Van Gundy

:pound:

6. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Excellent point. Wasn't Larry Brown confronted with this decision in our only loss to the Lakers in the 2004 finals? I don't remember the precise circumstances though.

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

We didn't foul in game 2.

Kobe busted a three in Rips eye.

At least I'm fairly certain that's how it went down.

8. pistonsloyalist

By the way, I have to give credit to JVG for not showing any bias in favor of his brother. I still think JVG is one of the most candid announcers out there. He more or less says what he thinks (unlike, say, Collins, who never really reveals what he is thinking). I get the impression that unlike Collins, JVG doesn't care if he gets back into coaching and that this gives him more freedom to call them as he sees them.

9. pistonsloyalist

I think you're right. I wonder how many seconds were left when LA inbounded the ball on that play. I remember Larry saying afterwards that he didn't believe in fouling in that situation. But did he mean categorically that he would not foul no matter how much time was left?

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Agreed. Nelson looked like he was worried about a drive, which he shouldn't have been.

11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I believe Coach Brown is of the opinion that too many things can go wrong for you (4 point play, giving up a rebound and possibly and1 on a missed second freethrow, etc.), and a team should trust the defense that got them there.

I'll look for that quote in a bit.

12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I got the feeling Collins was all but professing his schoolgirl crush for LeBron James throughout the Cavs run....but I could be wrong.

Nah, I'm pretty sure LeBron was so tired by the ECF's due to everything he did on the court being despite Doug hanging from his jockstrap. It's hard to play 40+ and drag Doug Collins around at the same time.

13. pistonsloyalist

Right. You cannot overestimate the value of having a coach who can talk intelligently and critically about his own decision-making and where it went awry.

14. pistonsloyalist

Is it a genuine crush, or is Doug just being an obedient soldier and doing what the NBA brass wants him to do (promote LBJ to the fullest)?

15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Good point.

Either way it's stomach-turning.

16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

USATODAY.com - Pistons' failure to foul Lakers may prove costly in NBA Finals

17. LA Dre

18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I myself would be fine if the coach spoke Babylonian.

Whats more significant to me is that SVG is willing to take the entire blame on his shoulders and live with it game to game.

His recognition of his own bad play calling usually leads to adjustments that yield fruit in future games.

Unfortunately the Jameer Nelson gaffe that he just won't stand face to face with will have likely just cost them all the series. Skip brought the team here. He stepped up in all of the big games prior to the Finals. Dance with who brought you. etc.etc.

I'm wondering if the order to play Nelson came from above VG's head.

19. LA Dre

Its a darn shame Trevor Ariza can't win the MVP award. Yeah Kobe is scoring, but these last two games Trevor has been the spark that has got the runs going...the the third qtr in game 4 and the second qtr tonight with his with his clutch shooting from the three and key steals.

Dude should be the most treasured FA this summer dispute the accomplishments of David Lee, Hedo, Milsap and the comeback of Boozer.

Of course the ABC announcers are selling the MVP award for Kobe every other play.

20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This pretty much went the way i thought it would except i underestimated the Lakers. I thought their road woes would at least extend this to 6.

I'm not touching the Ariza debate. He's very good, but it's amazing what PT an actual development can do for a player.

IMO, Kobe's MVP. All the attention he drew allowed the role players to shine.

edited to add;

SVG screwed up this series so bad. His wrong decisions are so numerous and stupid i can't even list them. Also it must sting for the Magic double since they traded Ariza for nothing.