NBA Finals: Lakers vs. Celtics

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dumars4Ever, May 30, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The ratings for 4 and 5 (for anyone who's following)

Game 4 - 8.7 ------- Lakers/Pistons - 14.4
    Game 5 - 10.1 ------- L/P - 13.8

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Interesting how big the difference is in the ratings. Maybe Kobe + Shaq was just a unique combination of star-power that can't be equaled by any other team now in terms of TV ratings.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Gasol would need to score 40 PPG to offset all the bad things he does vis a vis his softness.

5. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Lakers were overrated. just a part of stern's masterplan that did not work out. THis series has been a snoozer.

6. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

Of course it has to take three superstars to team together to win a Championship. Too bad it has to be Celtics. While the Lakers is still a one man army. How else can people explains the Celtics that was the worst team last year to come back to win a Championship.

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

4 thoughts on the "after show"

David Stern is giving a monologue. Seriously, he won't STFU. And this is after he got booed.

KG is on drugs, and embarrassing himself

Kobe was crying, and i feel awful for him

Why am i watching this ??

edited to add; The Celtics are all emotional wrecks. I don't remember one Pistons crying after we won. Not that there's anything wrong with crying, but KG esp has taken it to a whole new level.

And is it really good for the NBA to have a team go from the worst to the best ??

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not sure how many of you tuned into this game but it was over at halftime as much as the NBA title was decided last summer when they acquired Allen and KG.

The Celtics turned it into a Globetrotter drill in the 4th qtr as the Lakers were embarrassed more so in this game than any of the losses the Pistons put on them in 2004.

The Celtics were the best and we have to give them credit for it. Maybe we could have beaten the Lakers if we had gotten the shot, but guess what the C's were destined and they played better defense, they were hungrier and they had a better coach...who for the first time that I can remember got the gatorade shower on an NBA basketball floor for winning the title.

At the beginning of the season nobody gave them any chance because they figured that they had no bench, no defense and no decent coach...well not only did he out coach Flip, (so did Pat Riley and Mike Brown), but he out coached the zen master Phil Jackson.

9. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What is up with kg? Wow.

10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

It was apparant after game 2. No, it was apparant after looking at the Laker's players vs. the Celtic players. No, it was apparant as soon as Garnett joined Allen and then came Posey last summer. It stinks. The Celtics have raised the bar. They are as good as expected. It was not great management and had nothing to do with tradition. That is pure NBA story line.

The best three teams in the league: Celts, then Pistons and Cavs. The west was weak and over-hyped.

The Pistons will have to make changes in the starting unit as the bar has been raised. The Celts will come back at 31, 32 and 33 for their 3 all stars meaning they will have another year anyway.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I thought they were booing Stu Scott from ESPN. I turned it off quickly after that to bang my head against the wall.

What a classless bunch of ace holes on the C's.

This, to me, is one of the worst days as Piston fan lately. DET seems miles from wining a title. Melo...Melo...Melo.....

12. LA Dre

I concur LAPiston... I may even put Orlando in there at number 7 behind the lakers Spurs and Hornets , The rest of the west were 50 win frauds.

In terms of three stars, they probably have four as Rondo was surely the star of tonights game with 21 pts, 8 dimes, 6 steals and 7 boards. No allstar yet, but obviously he can only get better next year so.

here are a couple of meaning less stats... Koe -35 and Pierce +35. The lakers got only 2 offensive boards and those two were in the 4th qtr. Kobe made 4 baskets in the 1st qtr and three the rest of the game

Pau Gasoft lived up to his name and right now the Laker management is only praying that Bynum will return to form and help him out next season.

13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Ernie,

You are doing what I am sure Joe is doing. We may have been second best or maybe it was le Bron, but we are not that close in a critical sense. The bar has been raised. We have to wheel and deal. Standing pat will not get us out of the east. It is better to know what you are dealing with than live on false hope...

14. LA Dre

and yes Joe was living on false hope and so were we:yellowprison:

15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre,

Funny, but I too have Orlando breaking into the overall top 8.

You have been right on on your posts of the Lakers. My Laker friends had the team overrated. And why not, with the Lakers coasting out of the West and the experts drooling over them. But with the decline this year of the Spurs, the West was weak.

The Lakers have to make significant changes. Assuming Bynum gets back, they can then get value for Odom to upgrade at small forward and point guard.

You know, Tay, would be a perfect fit with them. But we don't need any of their players. (Kobe untoucheable).

16. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

These final made me think maybe pistons wasn't THAT bad as in this forum they were. But again, as lapiston said, bar has been raised so changes are necessary.

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm actually on the side of the Pistons being fairly close. We were pretty awful against the Celtics and still took it 6, 7 barring the team emotionally checking out. We had a flawed game plan, an idiot for a coach, and internal drama yet we still made the Celts look beatable as did the Cavs.

With more rebounding, FOCUS on defense, intensity, attention to the little things, and better coaching (variable at this point), we are potentially right there. We could have run the Celtics, and we are not the Lakers defensively. They still weren't very good on the road sans the miracle comeback which had as much to do with them as the Lakers.

Do we need to make a move? Yes. Does it have be a starter? Maybe. Could it just be an Artest or Magette? Possibly.

All in all just shows you that the East is better than the West.

People shouldn't take this series for any indication. The Celtics are not as good as the Lakers made them look. Not even close. In fact i think the best indication of where they are as a team was against the Cavs, a team who could hang with them on the boards and defensively.

KG is still a choker.

Allen can still be controlled.

And while PP is great. He played against 1 good defensive opposite (Sorry Tay!) in LBJ and maybe you can count JJ and while he had a breakout game or two, for the most part his production wasn't insurmountable by any means.

Will the Pistons beat them next year? Who knows, but they are not far away at all. There is no need for any panic moves with the Celts in mind.

edited to add;

I forgot to add a hobbled Billups. Stuckey's production does not negate the fact that we needed a healthy Chauncey esp w/ all the min Flip played him.

18. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I believe that we'll find that Curry next year will have a rough season. If Joe keeps the starters and makes no changes, I don't see this crew turning it on and even gaining the ECF. Even with new players, they'll have to mesh with the leftovers and a new coach. Gotta expect no more than 52 wins next season. The days of Flips high regular season win % are over..........I'd prefer to start fresh with a new attitude. Rolling only the coach won't accomplish that...

19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, one thing for sure, it wasn't quite what I expected.

- The ultimate anti-Stern series. Yeah, top names and storied rivalry, but what Stern has always pushed is local (divisional) rivalries and home grown talent. The league has worked for years to make it hard for players to switch teams with the intent that fans will get to know the players.... And what does it get him??? A finals filled with hired guns. And lesser teams so strapped by the cap that they can't make moves. The league needs to do some thinking.

- So much for building up your European scouting organization. Bring in the best of the best and all they do is complain about how hard the other team is playing. So much for all those fears that American players were on the way out.

- You kind of expected Gasol, Radmanovich, and Sasha to fade when the going got tough, but Kobe??? The Jordan legacy is intact.

- And for the Pistons. Seems pretty clear now the best two teams were in the East like that pesky regular season record always showed. Either Boston or Detroit could have taken LA out. A better coach, a better gameplan, a point guard who could move, a little more bench play and who knows. Move a piece if you need to Joe, but don't discount the big move you've already made.

- And for the Celtics. Those guys can't play those kind of minutes for another season. Look for some time lost to injury and a very slow start they will spend the rest of the season trying to recover from - say 7-15. Not sure they win without Posey this year, and he won't be back. He's got a couple of rings and will be looking for a payday somewhere, and someone will give him one.

20. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Would we be willing to give him a few bucks? He is what I thought Tay would turn out to be after his break out off the bench. Stingy on defense and able to shoot consistently. Willing to get after the ball whether it is on the glass or the floor.