NBA Finals: Lakers vs. Celtics

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dumars4Ever, May 30, 2008.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's so weird, I feel the same way. Sometimes I tell myself that maybe I would like to watch a game after all, so I turn it on and then this feeling of disgust and utter boredom hits me within about 5 seconds. I'm doing what I can to keep the '04 Pistons Finals ratings from being topped! I just can't stand to watch either of those teams win.

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh Come on, I know you were giving up TV, but if you are true basketball fan and your TV is still working and there is nothing else to do or watch, it does get interesting to see another team can have the same frustrations our Pistons had....We blew a 10 point lead and the Spurs blew to 20+point leads...Piston and the Spurs fans are smiling about the Laker misfortunes...and so are the fans in Sacramento:nerd2:

I listen to WDFN's Stoney and Wojo cry for a two days last month after the Pistons lost game 6. I know they and the local Piston fans who called in were in an uproar, but it was minuscule compared to the fallout here....these radios guys are having a fit....and I am enjoying it:MusicBigGrin:

3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

In the 2nd half, Phil Jackson had a Flip Saunders moment. His rotations were puzzling to say the least. He benched Ariza in favor of Vlad who did absolutley nothing and played like 29 min. He took Odom out to match up w/ BOS going small which was stupid since this was the one game Odom was doing something, and left Farmar out there instead of Fisher.

But what really lost the game IMO was the Laker's youth, and lack of defense. They've overachieved which you can credit Jackson with; probably wouldn't be in the finals if Ginobli hadn't been hurt.

edited to add;

Dre i just read your post. Should have put an ITA at the end of that. We're on the same page.

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The Lakers have overachieved to the max degree. And they're young, besides two players they are all new to the finals. And although Jackson made some questionable moves, "bad coaching" but what Kobe said they "wet the bed". BOS is just more talented and more experienced.

And Gasol is still soft.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Sad that Kobe walked off the floor with a few seconds left. Just headed for the tunnel while the final seconds ticked off. Really wanted to see his image make the full turnaround. I expect to see these two teams battling again in the finals next season. I think Gasol just felt overwhelmed this series because of the immensity of it, cause he seemed to play Duncan so well. Kobe has had to do it alone at times and that's hard to do while wearing a Pierce blanket.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I can't really blame Kobe for going off on his teammates after this series. They, Gasol especially, have been awful.

The sentiment seems to be brewing that DET would be champs if only they could have gotten by BOS. I don't think they could get by CLE or LA though. Somehow, someway Gasol would look like Shaq against the Pistons.

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

One thing that's been really irritating about this series is the large # of people/spprtswriters saying "Oh well, Kobe's not as good as we thought he was; Lebron James is the best player in the NBA now".

Short-term memory anyone? Sans game 7, Lebron was awful against the Celtics. The difference is his team was defensively just as good if not better than BOS.

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I wouldn't go so far as saying Bron Bron was awful against the C's, but MJ would have a tough time winning in Kobe's spot. Comparing the 2 the one thing I never hear brought up is how much stronger MJ is. If Kobe had a little help it could be 3-1 the other way. BOS is not that good. If there is a team that can blow a 3-1 lead it is them.

9. LA Dre

Emotions and changes in attitude occur after every game...When the Lakers won game 3, people out here thought and believe they would win three straight home and then take game 6 in Boston. As soon as they lost some have blame everyone from Kobe to Phil to Gasoft to Sasha to Walton or to Fish and Odom for not being in there at crunch time...oops that's on Phil again.

Others are reacting to the way they lost and still others think because the took out the defending champs in 5, that are the superior team despite Boston having the better league record and sweeping them during the regular season.

I may have to go back to the LA Times archives to see if the local media was more upset when the Pistons had the Lakers down 3-1 in 2004 or now when the Celtics have them down 3-1 now. Expectations were probably higher then and there was more of shock of what was happening....

Expectations were not as high at the beginning of the season, but the local fans are so starved for a title, they are just can't believe that came this close and maybe denied. Sure this team is explosive and had a good run after they acquired Gasoft, but in the end their other so called young weapons just didn't have it in them....I mean they can still win game 5, but if they do, I think the Celtics end it in game 6.

10. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Back to Boston. Lakers pulled it out, but like JVC said, that was not the type of win you should have there. Boston wins Tuesday night.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Basketball is supposed to be entertaining. This series just gives me a headache. Between KG's choking, Gasol's choking, the general choking, and stupid plays i feel like i'm watching 5th grade teams.

Jackson seems to be having senile moments w/ his rotations/coaching, and Doc is drawing up plays for Ray Allen after he hasn't touched the ball since the 1st quarter.

Why won't this series end?! :frusty:

12. LA Dre

The Lakers just barely hold on again after blowing big leads...They can't win in Boston playing this way. But they were suppose to win this one to set up the big celebration in beantown with all of the ESPN guys in the arena Tuesday to share in the bubbly.

13. LA Dre

You should have come into the Chat room and vented your frustration me and Kim. For awhile she was in there chatting all by her lonesome...:sssh:

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I tried, but i kept getting kicked out. The only time i could get in was after the game was over LOL.

I think I'm done with this series anyway. I've watched quarters here and there, but Game 5 was actually the 1st time i watched the whole game. I don't have any desire to see BOS win which is likely next game.

15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've been having trouble watching this series mostly because neither team is Detroit, but the fourth quarter last night was pretty fun. It was serious do or die stuff and Boston blinked. Despite JVG's constant harping that LA was totally incompetent on defense the Celts only shot 7 for 17 in the fourth. I generally like JVG, but he does need to admit that turning Paul Pierce the way you want him to go isn't as easy as he lets on.

I also thought that stuff about Farmar (may have been someone else) fouling Pierce on a late trip down the lane rather than trying to take the charge was just nonsense. There wasn't any way the Laker player could have gotten into position, and I'd rather see a good foul that stopped the layup (which was delivered) rather than trying weakly for a charge and possibly giving up a three point play in that situation.

And what about Farmar's speed? Two for three in the 4th, both hits on sheer speed - turn the corner and race to the hoop stuff. Nice.

The Celts play also makes we wonder if we'll see a new rule next year about contact after a foul. Posey makes a living delivering cheap shots off the ball after fouls have been called. That's something I think ought to be cleaned up.

Anyway, I think I'll hang around for game six. Come on roscoe, you know you want to see it too...

16. LA Dre

The series should have been over yesterday, but KG choked on a couple of FT in crunch time, the Lakers got a couple of key steals that led to hoops. The key to the Lakers actually winning was the Kendrick Perkins injury. Without him on the inside pressuring Pau Gasoft and Lamar O'dum, the Lakers probably got more on the inside than they should have and as me & Kimmie agreed in chat, Paul Pierce could have dumped off to him for the ez dunks instead of penetrating and throwing up prayers in the end. To bad Perkins is not availvable tommorrow either.

The problem with the Lakers is that they could not stop the penetration of pierce. Throwing Chris Mihm in there in the second qtr almost cost them the game as he could not stop anyone..

I am hoping this thing is over tomorrow so that we can get over with this NBA season and move on to the draft and Free agency.

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Bos. is pretty beat up. But with their stupid cockiness they might want to go dramatic and win it in 7. Another game for them to prance around. If they go straight to the whole with 30 or more FT's, that means they're serious about winning. Less than 25 FTs and they're just coasting.
    Then again Lakers could just lay down and give up free chili all nite.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I might do that. But honest, I don't care who wins. A 1-0 game quadruple overtime game would suit me just fine. Would look good on Pierce, Kobe and Stern.

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'm back from vacation now, so I plan on hanging out in the chat during the game. I was on a plane all night, but the possibility of me "pulling a Roscoe" and claiming to be too tired to watch the game is probably very low, since I slept for about 4 hours this afternoon. :laugh:

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Damn Bos. just finish it already. We don't need a dramatic game 7.
    Celts 95
    Lakes 82