NBA Finals: Lakers vs. Celtics

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dumars4Ever, May 30, 2008.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If Lakers are smart they won't try and win game 2.
    As soon as Celts are threatened at home they will take 2 games in LA.
    As they did with us.
    Lakers can win 3 at home then steal game 6 or 7.:)
  2. max

max All-Star

I know, what drama. How could someone be that hurt and come back in 5 mins later.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That was an insult to Willis Reed, Isiah Thomas and every other athlete who has ever overcome an injury during a game to put forth a heroic performance.

It looked like something that Vince McMahon would orchestrate.

Stern should step down and let McMahon take over to run the WBE - World Basketball Entertainment.
  4. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Phil Jackson in his presser likened PP's injury to breaking a shoelace or draw string in your shorts. What a total joke. Paul should be completely embarassed by the whole thing. I only saw the highlights.

When Paul went down; were they winning or losing. Just wondering if he was looking for an early exit.

Next year that will be a fine.
  5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

If the C's continue to play such great defense, the Lake Show will be in for a long series. As I watched Game 1, I tried to root for someone. I found that I'm completely neutral on this series. Hate both teams. Can't root for either one. I do like Doc better than Pill Jackson though. I looked up "smug" on dictionary.com and there was a picture of Phil there with the written definition.

:hoops:
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

When it happened, Kobe was semi-going off, the Lakers were up 4, and they had the momentum.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Paul felt a sharp pain in his knee and got it checked out. He's going to be gimppy til it's over. But he'll play.
  8. philpiston32

philpiston32 First Round Draft Pick

Kobe's monster year will be spoiled.
  9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I know who I am rooting for: the Lakers and not team NBA, that fabricated team. It is not good for the game for the Celtics to win. Take a 24 win team add a couple of super stars and a role player and talk about tradition that happened over 20 years ago. I am not buying.

The Lakers looked like a poor version of the Pistons. They too got out boarded. Gasol and Odom played down a notch. Odom has never played at this level so not a good sign.

The Lakers actually had a game plan for Pierce. They made Perkins play to his real level. But they let Allen have way too much room. And while Cassell was run off the court by the Cavs and Pistons, he actually produced against the Lakers. Bad sign. Might mean they are too weak at the guard position. And they let Brown play 20 minutes.

They have Phil and Kobe. Phil is the best so maybe he can figure something out.
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Wow, I agree 100%. Although I'm no Lakers fan, at least they are a real team. Boston has 6 or 7 new players this year. Team? Storied franchise? Please.
  11. raw36

raw36 First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

Seeing this on TV made me sick. Now I want the Lakers to win even more.
  12. philpiston32

philpiston32 First Round Draft Pick

and hit b2b 3s :pound:
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    Sheed aut to feel punk-ed too.
  14. max

max All-Star

They won most of those titles back in the 50's and early 60's. Since then I think its only been 3.

When you think about it they really did not have that great of a post-season until they faced the Pistons. So I think the Pistons propped them up and made them look better than they really are.

Lakers will win.
  15. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I thought the Lakers would win going into the series, but after game 1 I am a little less sure. LA was flat in the second half and could not make stops. When they sat Kobe, LA looked quite beatable. And Boston's defense was frustrating Kobe, just as the Pistons did in the 2004 finals.
  16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

One of the Lakers huge problems is that Odom no longer has a mismatch in this series.

I'm not positive who's guarding who, but from the brief part of the game i saw, Odom was on KG. KG is quick enough to guard Odom, and Lamar doesn't have a bulk advantage against him.

Switching Pau onto him could work, but then LO is stuck playing against Perkins.

Odom won't likely have any huge rebounding games.

Also if PJ doesn't play Ariza against PP in this series, i will question his sainty. I know he's rusty but PP is too big for Kobe, and while Vlad did an OK job once he sits Luke Walton will come in and proceed to let PP go off.

edited to add;

The ratings of the 1st game are at an 8.7, significantly up from last year, but very low compared to what was probably expected by Stern and his cronies.
  17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

18. max

max All-Star

I was a surprised by that. It was also well below Pistons/Lakers game 1 of 04. They should be concerned. I don't how the Pierce incident will effect the ratings as it could be a little too WWF for most fans.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It may prove that only the media love the matchup and the rest of the people won't care unless it goes 3-0 or 3-3. It will never match the ratings for A Idol, Dancin with the stars, CSI or even the Bachelor.
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator