NBA Finals: Lakers vs. Celtics

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dumars4Ever, May 30, 2008.

1. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Losing two home games to the Celts was embarrassing, and shows how far we have fallen from the glory days of 04 and 05.
  2. max

max All-Star

It seriously makes me wonder if we would have beaten the Cavs this year.

I really can't hold anything against the Celts. They were the better team and they did not do anything wrong, they just beat us.

Not sure who I want to win this.
  3. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

My feelings about the Celtics are the same as yours. But having watched them closely for the past six games, and seen some weaknesses that I had expected the Pistons to exploit, I think they are going to have their hands full with the Lakers. Allen's jumpers do not fall with nearly the same consistency in playoff basketball as they do in the regular season, and his defense is spotty. I don't think Boston will rebound as well against L.A.'s front line as they did against Detroit's, and that will hurt them offensively. And the Lakers have a more potent offense than do the Pistons, and they have the go-to guy that the Pistons do not have.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stern gets his wish, but we cannot blame any of the refs...the Spurs and Pistons just got beat by a better teams who were younger, more athletic and hungrier.

Media hype will grow at an all time frenzy the next few days as the ESPN and the NBA TV guys over analyze why the two best teams are playing and who will win. No one will discuss how both participants are there because both were beneficiaries of some backroom deals that no other teams were privy too. Rating were down the last two years despite Duncan, LaBron, Wade, Shaq and Nowitski, so there was no way Stern was going to veto either of these deals. Once the Gasol deal went down, it was a forgone conclusion what was going to happen.. we just had to play the games out for the rest of the season.

Now that the Celtics have gotten the road woes off their back, the 2-3-2 format does not look that bad as it did before.

KG will continue to shoot short range jumpers on Lamar or Radmoninvich. Gasol and Perkins will battle it out with Gasol getting ez dunks and Perkins getting ez rebounds. Kobe scored at will on short jumpers in the lane on the Spurs. He might not get that ez shot vs the Celtics, but he will still average either 30 points or 30 shots:)

No prediction here on the outcome, but the ratings will be high even if Piston nation ignores it. Oh yeah I got to live here in this over hyped market...
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm not really sure how it works, but i think you might be right. I feel like they can tell if i watch it anyway LOL.

edited to add;

Go Lakers! I hope KG cries if they lose. (can't stand him)
  6. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Boston has been over-rated all year. Lakers will win this series because nobody can guard Kobe, not even Paul Pierce, who said he thinks he's always been one of the best defenders. I can't wait to see the smiles on the celtics faces get wiped off. Go ahead, Garnett, pound your chest and talk to yourself all you want. That won't help you win a championship against hungry veterans like the Lakers.
  7. max

max All-Star

I was part of Nielson back in 2000. They sent me a time grid where I was to fill in all programs watched and the duration. If you get a fair and even distribution that you can determine with accuracy the viewing habits of the nation on a sample size much smaller than the general population.
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Statistics are amazing. And creepy!!
  9. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Gooooooooooooo Lakers...Welcome Avery johnson!!
  10. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I won't actually watch the final games for this two teams remind me of fast meals and fast meals don't fit my stomach.
  11. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

not only i don't know who route for... i hate both teams... i might not even watch those games... but if i have to... pls let the celtics lose
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think I have to root for Boston. I hate them less.
  13. LA Dre

I am not happy about either team being in the finals, but the media loves it. The players are being asked questions about the rivalry even though most of them are to young to even remember the 10 prior match ups...Seven of the matchups were prior to 1969 so none of them were even born (although PJ Brown was already bouncing around Detroit in his mother's tummy.:)).

The last time they met for the title in 1987, I actually attended the clinching game six at the Fabulous Forum and openly cheered for the Lakers over the hated Celtics who had beaten my home town Pistons just two weeks before. That was the last time I cheered for the Lakers as they [strike]stole the series from [/strike] beat the Pistons in the finals the following year.

I will watch this one to just to see who the refs favor, who gets the call and hopefully it is a sweep by one of the teams so all this hoopla can be over by Fathers day...
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think I am going to root for LA because I don't want those C's to get a ring and cheapen DET's ring if that is even possible anymore. Kobe already has 3 so it won't bother me as much.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If Bos. beats LA there's only 1 team better than us.
    No need for major change.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I want to watch the best teams play in the finals, not the teams who were lucky enough to hit their shots in the conference finals.
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

So i turned it on to see the score, only to see PP dramatically have to be carried off the court because his teammate injured him, and be put in a wheelchair, only to come bouncing out of the lockeroom 2 min later. :pound:

And then promptly turned it off.

Shades of Wade

edited to add;

Although it is interesting how any team from the West besides the Spurs has trouble beating the defensive teams in the East. I guess that's why i lean more to the side of Pistons getting to the NBA Finals = title.
  18. LA Dre

Game 1 final>> Celtics 98- Lakers 88

KOBE went into Piston mode thinking he could turn it on in crunch time but the Celtic defense went into league leading defense mode and shut he and the Lakers down. Kobe was 9 for 26 shooting (24 pts on 26 shots):brick:

KG and ET (Sam Cassell) almost gave it away missing key shots prior to Kobe's return where they could have put it away earlier.

I am sure with 2 days off, Phil will come up with another game plan, but really the Lakers plan was to just take at least one and then go back to Staples for possible 3 game sweep and title on their home court ala the 04 Pistons. At least that is what local TV commentator Micheal Cooper [strike]said[/strike] hopes will happen:sssh:

The one thing that Celtics did was duplicate what the Pistons did in 2004 which was to take game 1, and prevent Phil from extending on that streak of winning 41 straight series when his team wins game 1.

Pierce looked hungrier than Kobe as he went down with a knee injury and was carried off the floor only to come back later on in the the third qtr to hit two straight threes and seize control of the game...for awhile anyway. PJ Brown was huge as the Celtics were beating the lakers to every rebound (46-33) just like they did that team at the palace...:sssh::tape:

That my friends is a recap of game 1 for those who chose to ignore it. It will be rerun on ESPN at 3AM this morning and sometime tomorrow on NBA TV.

I am not sure about Doc's coaching skills, but he says the things that I would want to hear in his huddles and in the locker room if I was one of his players..

Now it's time to sign off and comfort:inlove: my wife the longtime :lalala:laker fan who was screaming her head off in the other room ..for awhile anyway..:crying:
  19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The Power of Ubuntu!!
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I have so much respect for you. Mrs. Dre is very lucky to have such a caring and sensitive husband.