NBA Finals: Lakers vs. Celtics

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dumars4Ever, May 30, 2008.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Posey could be one of those guys that only the fans of his team ever like or appreciate. He's part Rodman, part Artest, but with real jump shooting range. You would need to find minutes for him besides backing up Prince, and Max would be the obvious odd man out.

It could be tough to get over hating him for years from the Heat and now from the Celtics though.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I liked Posey when he was in Memphis. He's become the sort of role player off the bench that McDyess was for us in 2005.

The gap between a Posey and a Jarvis Hayes is enormous. Grand Canyon-esque.

Joe hasn't been able to upgrade the team's talent in FA since 2005. And that year, it was at the loss of Corliss, Memo and Mike James, so it's hard to argue that there was a net gain from signing McDyess.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't know if Posey is available or not, but Ainge got him for nothing. Which means he may ant more to sign this year...

The Celtics has the big three, but it was Posey off the bench that shut down some of the Lakers bench fakers and his long ball and defense in games 4 and 6 were the difference in the comeback and last night's taking them from 4 lead to a 23 point lead by halftime. Of course of the players stepped up, but with Ray Allen in the lockeroom the whole second qtr, he was their catalyst.

He may have been more valuable to the Celtics than he was to the Heat in 2006.

If he is reasonable, Joe should take a look as he as Roscoe said a better upgrade than we have gotten with Jarvis Hayes, Mo Evans, Delk etc, that we have had the during the Flip era. If Joe passes on him, Mitch Kupchak surely won't. (This of course if he is FA.)
  4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

This is one of the big problems I have with Joe. He has already made it known he won't spend the whole MLE on 1 player. He says teams nowadays prefer "breaking it up". For the Pistons, I think this is a terrible way to look at things. We need ONE good player WAY over 2 fringe rotation guys. Our last decent free agent signing was Dice (Full MLE). Before that was Chauncey (Full MLE). We have never gotten a rotation mainstay by "Breaking up the MLE". Guys like Mo Evans, Flip Murray, Jarvis Hayes, etc. That's what happens when you go shopping in the bargain bins. Throw the MLE (or close to it) at a sure thing in a guy like Posey (should have done last year), and the backup Small forward issue is completely over.
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Agreed. I may hate him now, but i could get over that real quick.

One thing i noticed about that probably goes unnoticed is he always within the offense, and within himself. You never really see him take a bad shot. He knows what his role is, when to defer, and when to step.

He hustles, he's a better defender than Tay, and he plays hard all the time.

I can't believe i just extolled the virtues of James Posey. :sssh:

edited to add; if our team stays pretty much the same, this (or Artest, but he brings all kinds of crazy) is the move that MUST be made. BOS can't match the MLE right?

Who else on a potential title contender can? The Lakers maybe . . . Other than that there's not much out there.

Imagine this bench next year . . . Stuckey/AA/Posey/Amir/Max or Dice depending on who starts. That's sick defensively.
  6. LA Dre

See how they panic....local LA media

Although they supposedly came within 2 W's of the title, some of local media are ready to throw Lamar and Turiaf under the bus as well as let Sasha walk. They hope Bynum will make the difference, next year, but that does not mean they get back. Bottomline this team could have been swept this year and as they did not even look good in their 2 wins...

On another note, Tim Colishaw said on Around the Horn that this Celtics team was better than any champions in the last 4 years including our beloved Pistons....anybody want to comment on that :stirthepot:
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The fact that no veterans have come to DET on the cheap for the shot to be a key part on a championship squad stuns me. You all are right about breaking up the MLE. It has reaped a cadre of one dimensional players who's one dimension isn't that good. Juan Dixon was a H-U-G-E pickup though.

A lot of what Posey did on O was off of ball movement/dribble drives. I am not sure he would get the same opportunities playing with the "Slow 3".
  8. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I saw the show and it was Woody who made the comparison first saying that specifically, the 2004 Pistons were better than these Celtics. Cowlishaw is still upset that the Dallas Stars lost to the Red Wings. (He's out of Dallas) I would take the 2004 Pistons in a heartbeat. Just wonder how much Zenmaster's stock has fallen. He really had a bad series.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

BS. No way possible. Not even in someone's dreams. That 04 Pistons defense would shred BOS. LB would kill Doc Rivers in the coaching department. KG's choking would be on full display. Ben would scare the crap out of him. Prince would be effective on Pierce because we'd actually keep him out of the paint. I could go on . . .

BOS is so overrated. Just because they were the best team THIS year means nothing esp w/ the weak competition the played in the finals.

Ppl are nuts.
  10. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Correction. Joe has not upgraded the bench since the Championship. Every year since then he has had an assortment of scrubs coming off the bench, or in case of this year, playoff rookies as the main bench support. IMO he has lived off the Championship legacy and done pretty much nothing to take the team over the top in terms of talent and depth. Let him put his money where his mouth is and actually show meaningful roster changes this off-season.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah some one said the Celts Dee was as good as the '96 Bulls, ESPN.
    Right now they are BOSS.
    I realize the LakeShow came up flat, but offense would bring a tear to Flips eye.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    I thought they would break down this year, and their bench would fail them. Didn't happen. Eat the rich. :ohwell:
  13. LA Dre

With the tradition of the old school Celtics hanging over their heads, this years champions will be back next year to defend and the Pistons have to make moves to counter it or gulp!, keep up with them.

Picking up a scrub to add to an aging core, will not do the trick this summer. The C's have the big three, but the other guys 21 year Perkins and 22 year old Rondo matured during the season and should be better next year. The six man Posey was the man off the bench. Don't expect Cassel or PJ to be there next year, but some other FA may sign there with the chance to get the riing...

Listening to Laker radio all day today, they realized that even though they got to the finals, they need to get tougher next season and their listeners proposed more trades today than I have read on our forum pages since we were eliminated... OK I am fibbing here., but bottom line they want to move Odom and they are shooting for Brand, Artest and even Posey. These are the guys we need to be targeting too for toughness. Mello and Tmac are scorers and go to guys, but we still need someone who can rebound when Amir and dice are in foul trouble and can show some toughness. In other words somebody off the bench that is going to give us more than Arvis or Max or Hunter.....:stirthepot:

Heard John Barry on one of the local shows too, and he basically told the Laker fans they were not good enough to contend right now and the Pistons would have beaten them too!!
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

These are the worst things that can happen when it comes to adding and/or changing the team. The last thing they need to hear is they would have won if only.........
  15. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Yep, we need a true scorer who is willing to be the go to guy , preferably a low-post player, and atleast one QUALITY veteran bench guy. Give playing time for the youth to develop but their development is icing on the cake. You can't expect Amir to step in and slow down the likes of KG. Stuckey showed some good progress but no one knows what his ceiling is going to be. It's not like we have Paul or Williams at PG and a lock down defender in AA. They are still learning the game.

The Pistons could have won it all this season and it chaps my arse that they couldn't step it up when it counted. Joe has settled for the status quo the last few seasons. I din't like all the Tigers moves this off-season, but atleast they are going all out trying to win. I don't see that effort from the Pistons organization.
  16. roscoe36

Joe has been living off the championship. It's a source of much frustration for me.
  17. max

max All-Star

I think one has to give the Celts some credit. They went out and won the necessary games to get this title. Every team had the same opportunity and they were the ones who got it done.

Although, I do think they owe the Pistons a thank you for giving them he confidence to win on the road. I could not help thinking how the Pistons had their foot on the Celts throats and layed up in game 3. The Celts became a better team after that. And Dumars once again underestimated his teams resolve.

One thing is clear. Danny Ainge has replaced Dumars as the new wonder kid GM. I don't think it would be wise to assume that the Celts are going to just go away.
  18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I don't see it as Joe living off the Ship as much as I see it as Joe being HYPERsensitive to slipping into a teal-era slump for a few years.

I think Joe's primary objective is to make sure that his team can contend for a championship while being afraid to make risky moves that might backfire and cause the Pistons to slip to a level where they feel the need to change the team colors to stimulate ticket sales.

Have Joe's final years as a "Teal-Era" Piston have left him scarred as a GM?

I still trust the guy though and there aren't too many other execs that could do a better job with what he has to work with.
  19. roscoe36

Joe is an excellent GM. I mean that in the broadest definition of the role. He's running a high level, elite program.

That said, he's only been able to do that, because winning has not been his primary focus. He's avoided taking risks for several years now.
  20. max

max All-Star

Is it so much avoiding risk or underestimating his core's will to win? On paper we looked pretty darn good last year.