NBA Finals: Dallas Mavericks vs. Miami Heat

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, Jun 4, 2006.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks Roscoe
    I think everyone outside South Beach and Shaq nation/bandwagoners would agree with Bill Ingram's assessment of how this series played out. He and Bill Simmons aren't afraid to call Stern and his cronies out.

To bad the employees of ESPN/ABC and NBA TV will admit not the obvious. If they do they won't have a TV job next season...IMO they are as bad as the refs for ignoring it.:mad: They love Shaq and the new NBA darling Wade so much, they swallowed their tounges just like the refs in the first half when the mavs were driving to the basket.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

50 FGA and 1 foul. That is very tought to take if you are the Mavs.

Dirk was fighting through a lot of contact the whole series. This is almost enough to make me root for the guy.
  3. max

max All-Star

It really is a shame for Dallas and their fans to have that for their 1st Finals apperance. After all those years and failed attempts they finally got there and leave with a bitter taste.

I cannot recall a Finals series more slanted. We have our phantom call on Laimbeer but that was just one call not a whole slew thoughout the game. I know Wade falls down a lot but they never used to give guys calls when they were out of control.

The NBA is calling out its 2 main battleships for damage contol
    1) No one likes a sore loser
    2) Stop Whinning about the officials
    Lets see if they are able to smash back any discontent over the Finals.

I hope this does not go away. And its not sour grapes either as I have no complaints about our series with Miami. Wade got some calls but nothing like what he got against Dallas.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This slanted win by the Heat reminds you of the Superbowl when it appeared that the Steelers got all of the calls:nod: . That being said we will all forget about it in a couple of weeks and will be reminded of it two weeks into the next season when the Heat are 8-0 and Wade is averaging 35 points a game off of 20 FTA a game:laugh:
  5. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

I'm extremely disappointed in Mike Wilbon, he basically reiterated the "Stop whining Dallas fans" line on PTI. "Heat the better team, won it fair and square" blah blah blah. I don't blame Tony K for backing the Heat, he's Riley's buddy. Tony called Mike out for his one-sidedness on the issue.

Lots of people are saying "the Heat's superstar outplayed Dallas' superstar and they won because of it". Yeah lovely, basically admits to it being a superstar game again. 1 player beats the deepest team in years. Thanks for nothing Stern.
  6. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Call me what you will but I'm pretty freakin happy with the outcome. I would rather see the series end thinking / knowing......

1- This ain't ballet. No jump shooting, sprint up and down the court, donut offensive scheme, soft fouling, soft rebounding, refuse to dive for loose balls squad walks away with the "Larry". Real men get it done in the paint where they are close enough to trade sweat, smell each others bad breath, and hear the groans when it really hurts.

2- The Title is still for MEN with the gumption to give & take the requisite amount of abuse right at the mouth of the rim. Thanks for showing up Zo.

3- Despite D. Stern's stated goal of making the Association something akin to Euroleague of America, the oldheads better known as officials demand grit, grissle, guts and gonads of THEIR champions. Let the fans (and some owners) whine.

4- We were taken down by the eventual champs. Not some bunch that lucked up at the right time then got rolled in the Show.

Way to go Heat !!! Catch your %%%%%es next year.
  7. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

My impression of this year's finals was that the quality of play was down as compared to 2004 and 2005. Some of the games were close, and to that extent exciting, but I rarely had the feeling that I was watching great basketball. Both teams had a lot of turnovers, and both teams missed a number of critical free throws. Wade deserves his props, but I also think Zo was huge for Miami. He is a great and tenacious defender, and I agree with whoever on this board said that he intimidated Dallas into going to a perimeter game in game 6. Zo had far more of an impact on the outcome of game 6 than Shaq, who (sadly) is not the player he once was.
  8. max

max All-Star

That is very true. Up to Feb the Pistons were playing that kind of ball and thats the reason why the world was really starting to appreciate the Pistons.

I will give Stern co. one scrap. The only guy I saw consistently taking it to the hoop challenging the refs was Wade. If Terry had approched it with the same agression would he have gotten the same calls? Was it Wade or a more general goal of desperately trying to increase scoring by the league? Mike Breen ( that ABC cronnie calling the games ) said in game 1 that Miami would have to score over 100 to beat Dallas in any given game. Only game over 100 was the one that took an OT.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

LPen, after reading your post I wanted to sign up for the military again.
  10. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Really simple.

The team that was the most aggressive defensively and attacked the basket won this series.

The biggest difference between this Miami team and last year's squad was defensive intensity, hungrier veteran players and a savy playoff coach. I know its after the fact, but I was suprised when I saw Miami was down 2 in the series. I expected them to win in 6 based on how they had performed during the playoffs. Dallas has nothing to be ashamed of, they just went up against a player who would not be denied. I'm definitely not willing to call Wade the next Jordan or even be disrespectful enough to make any comparisons with the Greatest of All Time......but the boy is good!

It wasn't too long ago when folks were saying that the Pistons got away with too many calls (never called for fouls with our agressive style of defense..remember???) so I don't really buy into all of the conspiracy hype. More often than not, the team that puts forth the most effort and is the most agressive gets rewarded by the referees.

The right team won. Alonzo Mourning, more than anyone, deserves this victory. Say what you want about the guy, but that dude is a warrior! That being said, they will have a helluva time repeating. If the Pistons could not handle the success in a league that is growing increasingly competitive, it's hard to see Miami keeping that intensity. Alot of that veteran talent could be looking for retirement. Shaq will be a step slower. The supporting cast will not have as much hunger as before.

But be very afraid. We still might be watching history in the making. Shaq and Wade may be the next aging Kareem, Magic combo for the next couple of years. We will learn alot about Wade's intentions on making his mark on history next season. Realistically, I don't see this guy Wade having any motivation issues. His drive may be just enough to keep this team playing at a high level for years to come.

Joe Dumars has alot of tough decisions to make this summer. First order of business, make a decision on the identity of this team. Will we win with defense as our mantra or not? No doubt we have the talent to return to greatness, but it means nothing if the organization and the players are not on the same page.

Congrats Miami! Watch your back though. The heart and soul of the organization, Joe Dumars, is not going to sit back and watch you snatch titles while we still have the best starting five in the league. As pissed off as all the fans are about our poor showing this playoffs, I can only imagine how intent Dumars is at insuring that we do not have a repeat performance in 2006-2007. Watch closely, because something has to give and it could get messy.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It seemed like Mourning outplayed Shaq, but I didn't have any data... until now.

For the Finals:
    Alonzo +32
    Shaq -28

Alonzo's salary- about $1.3M
    Shaq's salary- $20M

What a bargain AMourning turned out to be. Shaq set em up and Zo knocked em down.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Pistons lack of height eventually caught up with them. And no, I don't think Darko would have been the answer.
  13. max

max All-Star

There is some truth to that joke.
  14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Not buying it, unless we're measuring desire in inches. And that's an entirely different kind of forum. :eyebrows:
  15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wonder how much Cuban's constant whining about the refs ended up hurting his team. A little of that can put an us versus the world chip on a team's shoulder and do some good. A lot might just get the players believing that nothing that can do will matter because the refs are going to give the game away anyway.

And once you're thinking that way it's all over.
  16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Eh? What's wrong with chasing a little tail after the game? Who cares?
    May as well enjoy the rest of the evening. :D

The guy is as passionate (for his team, lol) as any other owner I can think of. So what if he needed to be "consoled"? What guy wouldn't?:noidea:
  18. max

max All-Star

This 3 PF rotation fell short this year just like last year.

Cuban? Interesting photos. Who cares. Not like he is running for a public office. Lady in the photos is not exactly a 10.

Cuban could have hurt them. Could have pitted the refs against his team a bit.
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Look, Cuban appears to be pushing the young lady off of him in the first photo and seems to be asleep in the second photo. I'm sure it was just some innocent fun .
  20. max

max All-Star

Yes I can see that. My 1st thought actually was that he could have done better but I can see how that was something innocent. All in the eyes of the beholder.