NBA Finals: Dallas Mavericks vs. Miami Heat

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, Jun 4, 2006.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The turning point seemed to be the foul that Wade drew by hitting Nowitzki with his elbow... what the hell was that?

But on the other hand, there were several good calls by the refs that they wouldn't have called if they were truly fixing this thing (like the travel on the Heat, or the push on the rebound at the end). So, I'm satisfied that the Mavs were not intentionally robbed. Just another case of the superstar treatment going overboard. Ended the game with 8 straight free throws or something like that.

Give Chauncey 25 free throws in a game and see if the Pistons lose.

Time to enjoy the summer of the Tigers.

2. max

max All-Star

When the Pistons see Walker, Payton and co wearing the same hats you did in 04 it has to inspire.

Interesting call at the end of the game. The refs called a phantom travel on a Haslim who boarded Wade's missed FT which game Dallas one more chance to tie the game.

3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Thing is, CB will not draw fouls from the 3 point line.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

D Wade take a LOT of jumpers too. They are just college 3's and not NBA 3's. Wade takes 60% jumpers with an eFG of 39%. Chauncey takes 81% jumpers with an eFG of 53%. As good as Wade shoots the ball, Chauncey shoots it better.

In tonight's game, Wade made 10 baskets and Dirk made 10 baskets. The difference was... FTA's.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tayshawn, that is a losing argument my friend. Wade is easily twice the player Billups is, and regardless of eFG%, DW wins games, and sadly, CB not so much lately.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I concur. Wade can back up his talk on the defensive end when needed and can control the 4th quarter when needed, which he did this series in four straight games.

CB has been inconsistent in post season play since he won his MVP in 2004 and rarely despite the 64 wins this year did we see him actually control 4th quarters the way Wade did. I mean you are talking about a player who hits 90% from the FT line and does not take advantage of it in crunch time when it was necessary. Lets hope he was watching closely this past few weeks and adjusts his game slightly to take advantage of his FT shooting.

7. max

max All-Star

Seems like years ago when you could count on the Pistons to win games in the 4th. Bad calls aside thats what Miami was able to do.

8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I only got to watch about two minutes of Game 6 because my baby was sick. Dallas was up by 10 late in the 2nd and the crowd was out of its mind cheering ... yet I had a bad feeling that the Mavs were a little TOO pumped up, and that Miami might steal a few points and keep it close at the half. Guess they did better than that. :ohwell:

Going back to an earlier thread, here's a case where Mark Cuban hurt his team. He and Avery Johnson set the wrong tone for the Mavs with all the complaining and hotel changes, IMHO.

Miami isn't a team I admire, but there's nobody else standing so give them their due. They showed great resilience and Riley got them peaking at just the right time. Your 2006 champions, the Miami Heat.

9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Pat Riley: kudos.

everything else about this makes me sick.

10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I'll tell you what makes me sick: ESPN's Dan Patrick's line of questioning. To Riley: "How did you feel when you became the coach?" To Wade: "How do you feel right now, Dwayne?" To the the part-owner of the team Mickey (something): "How do you feel about this franchise right now, Mickey?" To Shaq: "How do you feel about your fourth ring?"

Very unimaginative questions from Patrick. Lousy post-game job by ABC/ESPN.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not arguing that Chauncey is a better player, but that he is a better shooter. So it makes sense for him to spend more of his time shooting the ball (80% vs 60%).

You all are just down on CB right now because he didn't go out on a high note. We are talking about one NBA Finals MVP versus another, right?

As far as free throw attempts, you would think that since Wade drives to the hoop > 2x as much as CB, that he would get > 2x the FTA. However, this is not the case. DW got 9.8 FTA/Game in the regular season to CB's 6.3/game. In the playoffs, the numbers remained very consistent- DW=10, CB=6.4.

So, Chauncey seems to be just as good at drawing contact and getting to the line. Especially considering that his overall shot attempts are less. But Wade's FTA accellerated greatly during the last few games without a huge change in his style. 46 FTA's in the last 2 games?!? It would take CB a full 7 game series to match that.

12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bottom line for me - Riley found a defensive scheme that his players could execute and he shut down in the Pistons and the Mavs two of the best offenses in the league. And he did it in a completely different way that his old thuggish Knicks teams used to try and do against the Bulls.

I liked Riles back when he was with the Lakers (hated the Celtics) but thought he had become a caricature of himself since. But this was an impressive playoff run. Remember, the Pistons took it to the Heat twice in the last month of so of the season? Sometime between then and now he put in a new defense and got the band of misfit toys to execute it.

Wade probably got bailed out more than he should, but he also flat out shot the ball. And Shaq and Zo stopped all penetration against both the Pistons and the Mavs.

Slippy - you got it just right.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree that the Heat were playing great defense. We thought the Pistons were in a shooting slump. Then we thought the Mavs were in a shooting slump. After a while, you have to realize that they were doing something right. Shaq and Mourning were very active on D and denied a lot of easy baskets. D Wade also made some unbelievable plays on D. And the job they did on Dirk was pretty effective.

But that is the funny thing. This series was very low scoring and was ultimately won by a great defensive effort. The high pace Western Conference team was vanquished by a tough team from the East. The Pistons strayed away from the defense first mentality and got bounced.

Defense wins championships is still a valid cliche.

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bottom line...the Mavs never recovered from game 3. Unlike when the Pistons lost game 2 in 2004, and everyone predicted doom, the Pistons recovered to take the next three games and the Mavs continued to let the Heat back in every game where they took double digit leads because they celebrated to early took to many unnecessary threes and jumpers. The coach admitted that they fell in love with the jumpshots and part of that was the intimidation of Shaq and Zo clogging up the middle. So the question is was it the heat defense really that good or was it just that the mavs took to many bad shots??

Wade got to many calls and the league needs to crack down on both the way the game is called in crunch time (no player should be able to gets more FT attempts than the entire oppsing team) and question the refs that officiated these games.

Dallas lost 3 of the games by a combined 6 points!!! That means blown FT's in crunch time and too many jumpers where they could have pounded the inside and got a series of "and one" opportunities. If you recall they were in the bonus with 7 minutes left in the game and I believe they only went to the FT line twice after that???? So they have no one to blame but themselves.:doh:

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Re: NBA Finals: Dallas Mavericks vs. Miami Heat/ Riles Rules again

Hey, Hey, Hey! LaDre and others bangin' on CB - you can't have it both ways! We like it when CB is effective in the forth quarter and gets his FTs. But then y'all say he stopped sharing the ball when he fails. And if he has to take the ball in the fourth Q it's because the TEAM wasn't cutting it. CB is not a shooting guard DWade is. As of right now RIP can't carry DWades jock. Nobody else either.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    As for Riles, we all saw what he did. He found a way to get Fat err Ant Walker a ring! Frick! And the Mitten and White Choclate. The support from Haslem and Posey was huge.
    ...As for home court, this series just blew me away. The Mavs when from huge Home court ad. to zip. They were strong enough to threaten the Heat at Miami but lost it all returning home. I don't get it. HCA was defeated. Score one for Lee357.
    ...Riles adjusted.:ohwell:

16. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

HAHAHA I just realized who was reffing game 6. DAN CRAWFORD.

If I had known that when the game started I would've already knew the Heat would win. Dan Crawford hates the mavs more than the pistons if that is possible. Mavs are 1-12 against this ref this year. How sickening is that? We were 1-3 in the playoffs with him, I don't know about reg season.

Btw, how sick does this make you feel?

Gary Payton has a ring
    Alonzo Mourning has a ring
    Antoine walker has a ring
    James Posey has a ring
    Jason Williams has a ring

I get depressed just thinking about it.

17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, that was just horrible. But even despite that, the Mavs had opportunities to win this. They just blew it.

Stack came within an inch of tying it with time expiring. His play in these playoffs has been solid. Wouldn't mind seeing him come off the bench for us next season. :eyebrows:

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I thought some of y'all whose shorts are still chaffing over the Finals might enjoy reading this.

Bill Ingram is the roscoe36 of Hoopsworld.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_17787.shtml

As an aside, I emailed with a list of ranting complaints to Hoopsworld, and got into an evening of interesting email discourse with Bill. He's a real dude who takes time to talk to smart fans and me. :nod:

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

"Let's go Heat"?!
    Oh well.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stack did seem to have the range on his shot... but he was -14 for the game, the worst player on either team.