NBA Finals: Dallas Mavericks vs. Miami Heat

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, Jun 4, 2006.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

FINALS!

So what'll it be? Are you putting on a cowboy hat and saddling up for the Mavs, or slipping into a thong to moon over Miami? Either way, there's a lot riding on it! (Okay, I'll stop now.)

Use this thread for your Dallas-Miami predictions, comments and questions.

Game 1: HEAT @ MAVERICKS THU 9:00 PM
    Game 2: HEAT @ MAVERICKS SUN 9:00 PM
    Game 3: MAVERICKS @ HEAT TUE 9:00 PM
    Game 4: MAVERICKS @ HEAT THU 9:00 PM
    Game 5: MAVERICKS @ HEAT SUN 9:00 PM
    Game 6: HEAT @ MAVERICKS TUE 9:00 PM
    Game 7: HEAT @ MAVERICKS THU 9:00 PM

SERIES LINKS:
    ESPN
    Dallas News
    Miami Herald

2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I'll start by saying that I think this is the Mavs' year. Aside from a petty desire to see Miami ground up into polenta, Dallas has so many good role players who do more than the "just be decent" supporting cast of the Heat.

The Mavs can put Dampier and Diop on Shaq, plus Howard on Wade. But who do the Heat put on Nowitzki?

3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I had the Mav`s coming out of the West last year and this year. They finally made it and I think they will beat Miami in 5-6 games.

What I really like anout the Mav`s is they can go 10 deep if neccessary. Forget that crap about a 7, possibly 8 man rotation in the playoffs, if you can go 9 or 10 deep like Dallas and everyone contribute , it puts you at a serious advantage to win EVERY game.

Our Pistons better develop a bench next year or we will be on the outside looking in again next year at this time.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Dallas has homecourt, and they get the calls there.

This should be a short series.

5. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Both teams seem to have peaked and are playing their best basketball of the year. Some factors that may be relevant to the outcome:

1) Is Miami going to have an emotional letdown after expending all that energy in this last series to avenge last year's bitter loss to Detroit?;

2) Shaq seemed to play younger and better (except for free throw shooting) in the Detroit series than he had in either the 2004 Finals or the 2005 Eastern Conference Finals. The second half fatigue factor that we have come to expect from Shaq seemed almost non-existent in the last series. Can he continue that strong play? Will Dallas make him work harder for his points, and hence make him tire in the second half?

3) Does Riley's experience and skill give him a coaching advantage over Johnson that could become a factor in the outcome?

4) Does Dallas have the players or defensive schemes to stop Wade's penetration in a way the Pistons could not?

5) Has Dallas really acquired what it never had before -- a commitment to defense? And will Miami continue to shoot a high percentage? If Miami continues to shoot the lights out, I think they have an excellent shot of winning.

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Oh what a pukey series. Would I prefer a Texas champ or a Florida champ that includes Shaq and Riles. It's too distasteful to dwell on.
    But I think the Heat is the better team. But how do know since the Pistons didn't challenge them?

7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The Heat's only chance in this series is to slow the pace way down and make it a physical game. (We know Riley isn't against that if his team is at a skill disadvantage.) If the refs call it tight but even, the Mavs get a huge edge because they're better free throw shooters.

Six games, Dallas.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'll be rooting for Dallas because I don't like the Heat. But I'm guessing...

Miami in 6. :mad:

9. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

It's not everyday that we get to see a first-time champion. By my reckoning, the last time two teams that had never won a NBA championship faced eachother in the Finals was back in '78, when the Bullets beat the Sonics.

It's even more rare to have two teams that have never even played in the Finals, much less won it all. Again by my reckoning, the last time that happened was in '71, when the Bucks and the Bullets were both Finals newbies (the Bucks won).

Enough with the history lesson. :) At the beginning of the season I called the Pistons winning it all over the Mavs or the Rockets. At the beginning of the playoffs I called the Pistons over the Mavs. I'm going to stick with the Mavs, in 6 games. The Spurs stretched them to 7, but I can't see the Heat being able to do the same.

10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Mavs in 6 is my prediction.

11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Sorry, but we'll have to keep you after class. The Sonics took the title in 1978, not the other way around.

12. 1989

:laugh:

The Bullets did win in '78 though. The Sonics -- coached by Lenny, led by DJ -- won the rematch in '79.

Some references:

NBA History site

Basketball Reference site

13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Let me sort through these things for a minute.

(PAUSE. SOUND OF DRAWER BEING RUMMAGED THROUGH.)

There it is!

:redface:

Sorry, man. You're right and I've got the egg on my face. Start of season 1978, end of season 1979. Check.

Carry on ... :tape:

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

That 1979 Sonics team coached by Lenny Wilkens is my all time favorite non-Pistons basketball team. That team pretty much got me hooked on basketball.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

On ESPN.com, there are only 4 states that are predicting a Mavs win: Texas, Oklahoma, Illinois, and Michigan.

How can that be? I really don't have anything against the Heat, but it just seems like Dallas is the perfect mismatch against them. How can the Heat possibly keep up with the Mavs? Who will guard Dirk?

I'm not sure the Heat can win a single game. They got killed during the regular season.

Mavs in 4. I hope I'm wrong and it is a good series, but I doubt it.

16. 1989

People have a tendency to go with what they know. Everybody knows Shaq; everybody knows Riley.

Dallas are a bit of an unknown quantity in comparison.

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'd assume that the Mavs will give Shaq more resistance...
    Can't see how the Heat can hold down Terry and Howard getting anywhere they want (Zo may deter this some).
    Absolutely nobody to slow down Dirk... unless Zo sharpens his elbows.

Hate the Heat but I want them to win... I like a fat cat Shaq better for next season.

Mavs in six

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

A single game? Sure the Heat have few who can gaurd Dirk, but the Mavs have few who can body with Shaq.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Diop is looking pretty physical. Dampier is backing him up. I don't think that Shaq can do any better than what he did against the DPOY. 65% from the field.

20. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Jason Terry should go nuts against both J Will and G Payton.

Josh Howard and Stack should be able to cover Wade and make him play both ends.

Dirk is unstoppable, no Heat PF can stop him.

Only advantage Heat has over the Mavs is Shaq.

If Avery Johnson can have the Mavs run the ball up and down the court, Shaq will be done by Game 3.

Send G Payton and Mourning into retirement without a RING!!!

GO MAVS!