NBA All Star Weekend 2007

Discussion in 'February 2007' started by roscoe36, Feb 11, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

All Star Festivities

Actually watched more of this than I planned.

Saw the Piston team of Lambier, Billups and Cash win the whatever its called competition. This is where an NBA player, a WNBA player and a retired player all from the same city compete by taking a variety of shots. Good win there. Some controversy as team Chicago initially was declared the winner but was later disqualified for skipping one of their shots

3-pt competition - my favorite event. Kapono of Miami pulled off an upset over heavily favored Dirk Nowitzki and Arenas. Kapono shot a 19 and a 24 which tied the all-time 2nd round record.

Slam dunk. Getting creative. Its was all about the defending champ Nate Robinson of NY taking on Gerald Green of Boston. Green deservingly won it by dunking over various things. I thought the best dunk was by Josh Howard when he pasting a sticker to the top of the backboard with his left hand while dunking with his right. As far as I know this was the 1st time a player ever attempted to do somthing else at the moment of the dunk. The coordination involved in that was missed on the judges as he received an average mark for it. Of course that was only one dunk. Green deserved it with his showmanship and creative use of various props, one being Nate Robinson himself as Green jumped over him on his was to the rim.
  2. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Re: All Star Festivities

His name is Dwight Howard, but I'm sure he can forgive you for your sin.

(not mocking Dwight's religiousness, just having a bit of fun, don't take it personal)
  3. max

max All-Star

Opps, yes I know that - just a slip - thanks . Yes that was Dwight Howard of Orlando not Josh from Dallas.
  4. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

I watched the entire event-----even Barkley's breathtaking win over Bavetta.

Dwight had the most creative, rest of them were, been there done that, to me. Looks like now we start seeing more props being used. If Green had given it some thought, he should have jumped over a slot machine.

Ol' Bill looked (ph)at on the court, eh?
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree that Green deserved the win. His first dunk was his best, IMO. With a little help from Pierce, who lobbed a pass off the side of the backboard. His dunk over Nate was nice too.

Dwight should have got a perfect score for his sticker dunk. That was truely original and very impressive. The only thing that could have made that dunk any better is if it was a Darko sticker. :pound:
  6. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Swin Cash reminded everyone that 'DETROIT BASKETBALL' ROCKS!!!

Only event we participated, and we won. Isn't that great?

I wish next year D Stern either stop the so called 'stars' like Lebron, Kobe, D wade and C Paul participating in the skills challenge or fine them $$$ for the uninspiring effort out in the court. I'm sure there are lots more players there who can come out and complete the obstacle in less than 30 seconds. That's what the fans wanted to see. Lebron was trying to tell D Stern that he was never interested.

At least in the other event, the other guys are out putting on a show with effort.
  7. max

max All-Star

I agree Dwight should have gotten a perfect score for that. For finding a way to do something that has not been done before. Have to agree with Barkley when he commented on the height bias in that even.

Ozark - what was up with that Barkley Bavetta race? The oldest ref vs the most out of shape commentator?
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the judges, especially Jordan and Dr J voted to early before they knew that Howard had put the sticker on the backboard. It took the announcing team a couple of minutes to figure it out.
  9. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I knew Howard would have to do something very creative to catch the judges eye, at 6-10. The sticker dunk was not really that impressive to me because, well HE IS 6-10!!

Any 6-10 player that can jump would be able to do that dunk, now to be creative enough to think of it, that`s another story....
  10. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I disagree. I think that dunk is much harder than it looks. You have to remember that he tapped the backboard at 12'6", that's 2 and a half feet higher than the top of the rim. He jumped that high while he was still concentrating on making the dunk with his other hand. I thought it was a great display from an exceptional athlete. How many 6'10-6'11 guys are that atheltic that they can get THAT HIGH and still complete the dunk. He showed his pure athleticism on both of his dunks. You gotta remember that he's a 260 lb guy. He isn't one of these 6'11" Carlos Rogers twigs that is about 220. He's a large man with alot of bulk doing that.
  11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I didn't see the festivities last night, but that happened because during a TNT game earlier this season that Charles was broadcasting, he insisted that he could beat Bavetta in a race, and the other guys responded about him being too out of shape to win that. I think Charles brought it up because they were talking about how impressive it is that someone as old as Bavetta is still in such good shape.
  12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dwight's dunk was awesome, no matter what. But hell, all of them can jump, it's crazy. I'd love to see AJ participating next year
  13. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

I think Bavetta was intimidating Charles with showing off his legs.
    :pound:And giving Charles a smack on the lips to boot!
  14. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I bet almost any 22 year old 6-10 basketball player could do that dunk. I will give him credit on the creativity, however, the dunk itself was nothing special. The judges obviously agreed.

12' 6" he tapped the backboard, ok at 6' 10" he is damn near touching the rim with his arm outstretched standing on his tip toes, so, he jumped 2 1/2 feet.......WOW!!

I am not taking anything away from the dunk, but seriously, he is freakin' 6-10!!
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

ESPN.com - NBA/ALLSTAR2007 - Abbott: Howard's sticker slam wins buzz but not contest

16. jammertime

17. jammertime

18. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Maybe Dwight should have gone over to the judges' table before his dunk and showed them the sticker, saying "watch where I put this" or something like that, to make it clear what he was going to do. The element of surprise is fun if you can pull it off, but if you didn't know that's what he was going to do ahead of time, it was hard to tell exactly what was going on.
  19. jammertime

Yeah, I agree. It would have helped if the sticker was a bit bigger as well.

I think he should have shown the sticker to the crowd ahead of time.
  20. max

max All-Star

I think the surprise was part of the dunk. If he had shown people before hand it would have taken away from the effect.

To me height should not factor in like it does. No one over 6'7" should even bother entering that contest. Even keep it under 6'5" just to be safe.