Nazr's Debut

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by final.wrath, Oct 11, 2006.

1. final.wrath

final.wrath Banned - Sent to NBDL

Did you guys catch the preseason game against the Heat? Nazr looked good. I know its just the preseason but he demonstrated his scoring capability nicely.

Dyess, Delfino, Murray, and even Maxiel looked solid off the bench.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I think Naz looked good also. The entire squad looked pretty good actually. I know this is just preseason and only one game, but I got good vibes watching last night.

The zone at times was effective, as everyone seemed very active on defense. I see Delfino getting at least 5 boards a game. Flip Murray may be our only player who will give us some dribble penetration on a consistent basis.

Just a few more weeks, can`t wait!!!!!!!!!

4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

If you can't say anything nice....:sssh:

5. max

max All-Star

Just wait until DD recovers and our full arsenal is unleashed.

6. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

If anybody watched the preseason game and saw what I saw I've got 4 words for you...... Ready???????? Here goes!!!!!!!!!!!!! [sign]WELCOME[/sign] [sign]TO[/sign] [sign]DETROIT[/sign] [sign]CITY[/sign] :djparty: :dancingparty:

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I swear that every time you write that with the signs, a small part of slippy dies. Which is ok ever since he become a vile and dastardly Sith Lord.

8. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

OK Roscoe LOL

9. max

max All-Star

If you are keeping score at home Nazr is the leader out of the Forum preferred centers Nazr, Wallace, Darko. Ben had his 1st game last night in Chic. After a standing ovation he went on for 7 points, 9 boards, 1 block and 1-6 from the line in 20 mins in their 87-86 win. Darko did not impress much in his 1st on Tuesday.

Overall this is a step down but Nazr is almost 10mil/yr cheaper so what do you want? I think he will be better than his detractors think because he is comming from a pretty good program in SAN. His detractors act like we scrapped him off the Raptors or something. Pop ( an LB type coach ) insisted that he play smart and play some D.

On the other hand if Nazr was to be a marque center then he would have made it by now. What we are getting is a solid starter quality center that is better than getting nothing and better than what most teams have. Combined with 4 all-star quality starters and hopefuly a solid bench the Pistons have a decent chance of hoisting the trophy next July.

10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

What? I don't mind the signs. [SIGN]Keep it Up![/SIGN]

Who knows, maybe the zone is the thing that helps Naz breakout. Maybe its Flip.

11. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Remember that Nazee was on Pop's %%%% list and hardly played last year. Sometimes a change in teams and coaches can give a player a fresh start.

12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I beg to difer Max. Some people here feels as though we scrapped him off the bottom of someone's shoe. You know when you have that tacky peice of gum that is stuck there on your sole and finally you have to take a pencil or something to scrape it off.

Nazr will be awesome, a solid pickup and as you say, comes from a good program at San An. I look forward to good things happening for Naz.

13. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Gotta call it like I see it. If Nazr plays like we saw him play in Puerto Rico the entire season, his stay in Detroit will be a good one. He's not a defensive or offensive liability right now and thats all you can ask for now given what we lost. Congrats to Nazr on perfoming when it was obvious that all eyes were on him.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's not like Darko's line of 10 points, 5 boards, 1 block, and 2-6 from the line in 23 mins was much different from Ben's stats. 3 more points and 4 fewer rebounds.

If you normalize Ben, Nazr, and Darko's stats for time and give them each 30 mins like Nazr, then their stats were all very comparable.
    N/B/D= Nazr/Ben/Darko

Points- 16/11/13
    Rebs- 8 /14/ 7
    Blocks- 2/1.5/1.3
    Steals- 4/ 3/ 1.3
    FG%- .40/.60/.50

We need a lot more data before we see where they shake out, but for their first starts of the year, they all played well.

And what the heck, let's throw JMax's 30 minute stats in there too-
    30 mins- 18 points, 7 rebs, 1.6 blocks. Plus he would have drawn 9 shooting fouls on the opposition and shot 18 free throws. Not too bad for an undersized 4 or oversized 3.

15. max

max All-Star

I understand your viewpoint respectfully. Some people here also want to live in the past. Ben ain't comming back so we may as well make the best of it.

Mohammed played in 80 games last season, started in 30 of them and avg almost 18 MPG. If they hated him that much he would have sat more.

16. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Amen Max. I think Nazr will make a lot of the naysayers eventually forget about Ben.

17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I don't think its necessary to forget about Ben, just appreciate what Nazr is bringing to the organization.

18. final.wrath

final.wrath Banned - Sent to NBDL

im glad to see the attitude here is a lot more optimistic than what I was seeing during the offseason. I'm not saying people's concerns weren't valid, but I definately beleive there are a lot of positives to Ben's departure and Nazr's arrival. At first I was sad, angry, hurt...but looking at our solid bench and improved offense I'm excited.

19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The Goods about Ben leaving:
    • More points, and points in the paint because of less double teams.
    • Very good free throw shooting.
    The Bads:

• Rebounding will go down.
    Against Miami the Pistons played Delfino more and he is a very good rebounder. The gaurds along with Sheed stayed inside to help on the boards. If the 3 coaches make the team keep doing this and improve the team at rebounding this problem will be minimized.

• Man to Man Defense.
    The man to man defense will not be close to the defense last year. To solve this the Pistons are using more zone and full court press along with man to man.

20. max

max All-Star

He won't. I don't think of him as Bens replacement. I view it as Ben chose the Bulls and at least we got someone to help fill in. Nazr makes almost 1/3 of Bens salary. Its tough when you have 4 other starters commanding 10mil+ per season.

I am counting a lot on Sheed actually. Hoping this will really inspire him.