Nazr - What a Deal

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Feb 8, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I am envious of this guy. He is getting $30 million? over 5 years to play the part of a bum sitting on the park bench.

The question is: Can he get away with this for another 4 years?

2. Gilmango

Gilmango Second Round Draft Pick

Maybe that's why another overpaid bum, Jaric, is the best real/realistic deal that's been floated as far as what we might get for Nazr, even though we are willing to go big for small... But hopefully other deals will surface in the next 2 weeks. Ideally a PG with either experience or upside but even just a shorter contract might work for me.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's like a slow Tony Battie without the intangibles. But he can rebound and hack the Shaqster. In another year or two, we won't have to worry about Shaq, and we can trade Nazr for whatever. Keeping him around the rest of the year isn't that terrible.

After all, this is an NBA starting center we are benching right now. He started significant games for the Spurs and the Pistons. Not many guys can say that. He has playoff experience.

Doesn't he make about the same amount as Darko? Can we just trade him for Darko's expiring contract?

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't mind receiving Darko's expiring contract as long as we don't have to take on Darko, too. :pound:

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm o.k. with trading Nazr as long as DD is around. I think it's pretty clear the Pistons will need one or the other of them for match up against teams with real centers. Remember how easy a time Bogut had with Webber on him.

DD is a better more experienced defender and has a nice mean streak. Nazr has never played in a game he didn't have the potential to foul out of, but does have a nice shooting touch around the basket.

6. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

How much do you like the thought of six AND 1s.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah, Nasty Naz is a weak hacker.

His biography will be titled, "Hacking you softly".

His sleep number is 13.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Please don't make me defend Naz anymore. He could foul hard if that was his goal. When he tries to play clean, he gets those weak hacks.

What I don't want to see is Nazr moved and then Dale injured. Then what do we do against Shaq? It would all be up to Sheed and Webber. There is no way Maxiell or Johnson could do anything to help.

It is possible that we could get knocked out of the playoffs for just being 1 big man short in that scenario.

We can move him next year.

If we want to make a trade, let's move one of the Flips and one of the Ronalds.

9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

So could Carlos Arroyo or Tayshaun Prince. At some point in a player's career one has to be able to make a judgment about whether or not a player is tough, and I'd say that a journeyman's ninth season is as good a time as any.
    Why not? If Malik Rose and Corliss Williamson (or Worm, for that matter) could occasionally hold Shaq off the block with strength, quickness and low center of gravity, so can Maxiell.

In fact, I'd much rather have Maxiell defending Shaq than either Webber or Mohammed, and as good a post defender as Dale Davis is, he simply lacks the strength to guard Shaq.

The only purpose that the other bigs serve defensively is to take the wear and tear, hack as necessary, and hopefully block a shot or two until it becomes necessary to get stops, when Rasheed is moved onto the opponent's best post scorer.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

JMax guarding Shaq... He's giving up 6+ inches and at least 70+ pounds.

Just to give you perspective, that would be like Will Blalock gurading JMax in the post... on about a 9 foot hoop (6 inch height difference and 55 pounds).

11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Yes, I know.

And J-Max is bigger and stronger than Malik Rose, who guarded Shaq better than 90% of NBA players did.

Size isn't everything. In fact, the lack of height is a positive.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You're saying that JMax just knows how to use it?

OK, I'll take your word for it.

13. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I'd say keep a-hold of Nazr too. He ain't a bad "fifth or sixth" big. As somebody pointed out, he's a lot better than Darko. If a "make sense" deal comes along...fine. But we shouldn't be in a hurry to move him. It ain't that urgent. In fact, he might have more trade value on draft day.

14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

What is this? Yea, everyone is feeling better with the new streak, but lets not get too full of ourselves.

Unless of course you want to slitter with the DNews crowd or perhaps wink along with the corporate P.com with its embellished journalism.

15. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I guess now that we have an acceptable replacement in Webber, jetisoning Naz is far from a dire need.

As for guarding Shaq I believe technique is as important as strength. Shaq is a master of eating up any space between he & his defender, then creating more space with a bump. I think it is key that no space is allowed right from the git so that any move toward the basket causes an appearence of the defender being dislodged.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is sort of like trying to tell someone how to ride a bull.

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Just when you start to tick me off you come up with something intellegent like this... true statement... in fact Darvin Ham had success against the Diesel... it just has to be in short spurts... of course no one could do it like EC soup.
    I'd put Brahma in the trenches for 5 minutes with his low center.

Good thread... makes ya proud to be a PFer

18. buddahfan

Jaric is terrible. At least Nazr can play somewhat. Besides Delfino is starting to play like a descent NBA player and getting better.

:hoops:

19. buddahfan

I like JMax's leaping and finishing ability. But as far as his defense goes, I would rather have Swish Cash out there, guarding Shaq. At least she might distract him. LOL

:hoops:

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sympathetic but emphatic