Nazr Mohammed "Tazered"

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 6, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Davis highlights sloppy afternoon
    Veteran center getting the best of Mohammed, the team's top free agent acquisition in offseason.
    by Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

This is brilliant. The last paragraph. Is McCoskey saying it is why Nazr starts slow, or is Nazr saying it? That is an important distinction to make.

All I know is that Dale Davis has been charged like the energizer bunny by his tazer experience, and Nazr Mohammed has seen very little dropoff in his play historically during Ramadan (best example 2001/2002 season).

I don't like that they are using the guy's religion as a crutch.

And as written somewhere here before, Ramadan is not a fixed date each year. It's from a different calendar, and the date moves each year. In 2001 it started Nov 15th. In 2006, it started September 24th.

Ramadan will be over one week before the seasons starts. If Nazr isn't playing at a high level by the 5th or 6th game, maybe Dale Davis should be the early season center.
  2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

If Dale Davis beats out Nazr for PT, somebody needs to hire Flip an in-house scout to evaluate his own players for him.

But I'm happy for Dale and the team, you can never have too many big guys.
  3. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I think it will be great if Dale Davis ends up replacing Ben in the starting lineup. As many here have pointed out, Ben was getting a little old for the job.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Dale Davis gets real minutes, then we're starting to look at a 10-man rotation. Man, it would be nice to have some depth this year...
  5. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I am no expert on Islam, but it seems to me that during Ramadan religious Muslims only fast during daylight hours and can eat at night.
  6. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

'the dream' went through ramadan every year, he still "came back puttin up numbers"
  7. roscoe36

Yeah, otherwise it would be known as the month of starvation... :MusicBigGrin:

They also do not drink (even water) during the fast.
  8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Not that it's particularly fair to compare anyone else to such an all-time great, but I remember seeing stats on how he sometimes played even better during that month.
  9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, it's no sexual intercourse, no smoking, no menstruation (kinda strange), drinking and not getting mad.
    Nazr also shouldn'y lie, insult and talk bad about the others- I guess a Muslim is very nice during throughout Ramadan, even although he's permanently hungry. The craziest thing is if Ramadan is during summer in a country that is in the south- when you can't eat and drink while it's hot and sunny for about 16 hours- that deserves some respect.
  10. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

If Nazr cannot even beat out the old man, I for one would be very disappointed.
  11. roscoe36

Actually, women are not expected to fast during menstruation. They can make those days up later.

People also don't get permanently hungry. They tend to overeat at dinner time, before sleeping. This IMO might have a bigger effect on Nazr's stamina. That his blood sugar levels peak just prior to or shortly after the game starts...
  12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I am disappointed dale sat so much last season.
  13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

You're absolutely right (with the menstruation thing)- they don't get permanently hungry? So you know different muslims than me, those who I know are having a pretty hard time even in months like september- because of the hunger.
    Sure, they overeat (man, these tables that some of them prepare for the evening and the early mourning when it's dark are awesome- loads of food and tons of sugar)- but still, short- chained sugar isn't having any essentials in it although it takes the body a long time to resorbate it why you get the feeling of hungry quite soon after overeating.
    Maybe there are muslims who have a different tactic what to eat before the sun comes out, but those who I know suffer alot from hunger.
  14. roscoe36

I stayed in a boarding house for nearly a year with 1 Egyptian and 3 Pakistani Muslims.

They seemed to manage fine, although they did not eat a lot of sweets. Mostly dates, olives, unleavened flatbread, roast chicken, salad.

Because I have an interest in other religions and cultures, I would like to see a decent article on what Mohammed's diet is like. Is he fasting every day? If he misses any days, will he make them up during the season?
  15. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Speaking of Dale, how is his court case doing? I hope he wins.
  16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

You mean Nazr? That would be quite interesting, yeah- but as he seems to be quite strict with his belief (as most Muslims who fasten are), I don't think he's missing days since that is a major sin unless there's a good excuse (like menstruation). I don't think it's possible to "wash away your sin" (that you missed some days) by making them up later...
    btw, what is a boardhouse?
  17. roscoe36

It is possible. You should read up on it. No one is expected to hurt themselves fasting, only to get a better understanding of what those who go without have to endure, and to test faith.

You pay rent and everything is included, ie. meals, utilities. You get a single room in the house with the other areas common to all of the tenants. This was a frat house that couldn't get enough fraternal brothers living there to pay the rent, so they opened it up to anyone who needed a place to stay, with preference going to students at the university.
  18. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I am disappointed everyone was so high on Nazr's contributions considering he's being *powned* by DD. At least an "over the hill" Big Ben never got his bean pies handed to him by DD.
  19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I think the proper spelling is actually "pwn3d."
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm hoping Nazr turns out to be good. He was pretty good for UK, so maybe with the right situation...

On the other hand, if Tazer Dale is beating him out, bring on the old man!