1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Nash,Trade Exceptions, and the Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Laimbrane, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

So as many of you have probably heard, read, or some combination of both, Steve Nash is being sign-and-traded to the Lakers for a quartet of draft picks. My first thought was "hey, that's a pretty sweet deal for LA, who has a pretty awesome team now." Then I remembered that they already have the highest cap number in the league and the second thing I wondered was how the hell the could afford that. It was because of the trade exception they had from the Odom deal.

Now, I know that trade exceptions existed, but I didn't know a whole lot about how they work. Turns out that when you trade a single player for another single player, cash or picks, you receive a cap space exception equal to the difference in salary values of those trades. So if Nash ($8 million) were traded for, say, Steve Blake ($4 million), then the Suns would get a $4 million dollar trade exception that they could effectively use in another trade (not on a free agent).

So that sending of Odom to Dallas for a 2nd last year was just part of this trade. It was panned at the time, but what ultimately happened was that, over the course of the year, Dallas, Los Angeles, and Phoenix engaged in a three-way trade where LA gave up Odom, two firsts, and two seconds for a second from Dallas and Steve Nash from Phoenix. That's awesome. They've got like two years to win it and that salary cap penalty is going to be stifling, but they did successfully circumvent the cap this way.

This changes how I view Prince's contract immensely. Let's say that, next year, he trades tay for a 2nd, and gets a $7.2 million exception to use on a trade within a year. Amnesty Villanueva and they're sitting at around a $32-$33 million cap number with Stuckey, Knight, Jerebko, Monroe, Drummond, Daye, V-Krav, English, Singler, Macklin (hopefully) and Middleton. That gives them room to drop another $15 million on a free agent and sign Monroe long term ($12-$15 million/year), then sign-and-trade for a $7 million player, use their bi-annual exception and mid-level exceptions to go over the cap and build a team full of quality vets and well-drafted youngsters.

Having four years to trade Tay gives Joe time to wait for the youngsters to develop and for the right player on the trade block to come along. Is it possible that he meant for this to happen?

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Capp Spayce is only good when you convince a great player to come to sign with the team that will possibly pay dividends. Everyone will agree that the last time Joe had some excess space it was wasted on two UConn scrubs.

The first thing is to convince the player who is motivated to win and not just collect a hefty paycheck

Second thing is to find a player who wants to come to Motown play..... Even in our heyday of 4 years ago, the only key FA Joe was able to convince was a couple of rehabs in McDyess and C-Webb.

I don't recall, but assumed Joe didn't have the cash to sign anyone else of significance during that span so after resigning Sheed and inking Dyess in the summer of 2004, he had to settle for the likes Tony Delk, Jarvis Hayes, Walter Herrman, Flip Murray, Kwame Brown, Nazr Muhammad, Dale Davis and Maurice Evans among others. While all provided an assist in getting to the playoffs, none were enough to get us over hump and get the necessary 16 post season wins.

If the Pistons make the playoffs and manage to score a first round upset next season, then you maybe have those key FA looking our way to help a young team on the brink of success and not just the cash..

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tayshaun Prince is not Steve Nash.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

But he's about as good as Lamar Odom-Kardashian.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

OK, so we trade Tay for NOTHING, get a $7M exception. With an amnestied CV we then have about $35M in cap space available and can also trade for a $7M free agent with the trade exception....hmmmmm interesting.

6. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Not nothing... 2nd round pick. Those are absolutely necessary for a certain segment of the fan population to obsess over.