My favorite moment in Pistons' recent history...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons 96, Pacers 77
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times,serif][SIZE=+2]Pistons' reserves pound Pacers[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times,serif][SIZE=+1]Williamson, O'Neal are ejected following 4th-quarter skirmish[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [​IMG]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [​IMG]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Associated Press[/SIZE][/FONT]

[​IMG]Pistons pay back frustrated O'Neal

[​IMG]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/FONT] ​
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Associated Press[/SIZE][/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Jermaine O'Neal and Corliss Williamson square off in the fourth quarter. Both were ejected following the skirmish.[/SIZE][/FONT]​
    [​IMG]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][​IMG][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times,serif] INDIANAPOLIS -- First the game, then the fight.
    The Pistons continued their roll toward a Central Division championship Tuesday might with a 96-77 romp past the Pacers.
    It was the Pistons' 14th victory in the last 17 road games and their sixth in the last seven overall. They lead the Bucks by 4 1/2 games in the division after Milwaukee's 112-106 overtime loss to Dallas. The Pistons' magic number to clinch a playoff spot is two over Washington and Toronto and three over Miami.
    Corliss Williamson scored 16 of his 23 points in the fourth quarter for the Pistons after the Pacers had cut a 15-point deficit to four.
    Williamson and Jon Barry (10 points, five assists, two steals) sparked a 17-3 run that unraveled the Pacers.
    "I am proud to be associated with a group of guys who play hard, play together and play the right way and who aren't afraid of physical basketball," Pistons Coach Rick Carlisle said. "Our guys don't play dirty and they don't throw cheap shots."
    The Pacers' Jermaine O'Neal was held to 11 points and was in foul trouble. Then, with 1:16 left and the Pistons leading by 22, O'Neal took three or four steps and laid a body block on Williamson as he was going up for a layup.
    Williamson threw the ball back at him and it hit O'Neal in the shoulder. O'Neal then shoved Williamson, threw a punch at Ben Wallace and threw an elbow at Michael Curry before Williamson and O'Neal were ejected and order was restored.
    "It was a physical game and tempers flared," Williamson said. "I don't know his reasons for what he did, but I didn't like it and I responded."
    -----​
    Ben Wallace was asked after Tuesday's 96-77 Pistons victory how he restrained himself after taking a punch from the Pacers' Jermaine O'Neal.
    "What punch?" he said. "Nobody hit me. You would know if he hit me. He didn't want to hit nobody. He was just glad somebody was there to break it up."
    It did seem like a lot of the fight went out of O'Neal after Wallace stepped between him and Corliss Williamson on Tuesday night.
    "O'Neal looked pretty tough until Ben Wallace stepped in front of him," Pistons Coach Rick Carlisle said. "He calmed down and went the other way."
    O'Neal, who did not address the media after the game, was a marked man. The Pistons were fired up by comments he made after the Pacers' victory in Detroit on March 10. O'Neal, who missed the first two games against the Pistons, scored 23 and basically said the Pistons couldn't beat the Pacers when he played.
    "Just keep your mouth shut," said Wallace, who had 14 rebounds, five steals and four blocked shots Tuesday. "Just play the game. Don't talk about what you are going to do or how you are going to do it. Just play ball and let the game take care of itself. That's what we did."
    Cliff Robinson put the clamps on O'Neal, holding him to 13 shots and 11 points. He also was in foul trouble. O'Neal's frustration boiled over when he flagrantly fouled Williamson with 1:16 left.
    "He was mad because he couldn't get off," Robinson said.
    He also was mad because Williamson was scoring at will in the fourth quarter (16 of his 23 points).
    "That's just no class," Wallace said. "If you are having a rough night, don't try to take a guy out because he's having a good game. That's not the way I was taught to play. You have to have more class than that."
    After O'Neal hit Williamson -- which Carlisle said was the "worst cheap shot I've seen all year" -- Williamson fired the ball off O'Neal's shoulder and Wallace stepped in between. O'Neal appeared to take a swing at Wallace, and he threw an elbow at Michael Curry.
    "That kid has got some issues," said Jerry Stackhouse, who, like all the other nonplaying Pistons, stayed on the bench during the melee. "It was just stupid. Just because a guy (Williamson) is killing you, it's your own fault. They should have double-teamed him. The guy is taking him one-on-one and beating him, so do something different.
    "If you want to get mad at somebody, get mad at your coach (Isiah Thomas)."
    Said Thomas: "I think the emotions just spilled over. I am surprised (at O'Neal). That is not something he's shown." [/FONT]

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yeah that was sweet... I was trying to remember what Corliss said later about him throwing the ball at O'Neal... it was comical.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the punch landed on Ben... O'Neal is a whinny pin headed [strike]beotch[/strike] beach (this is a mod test:)) roscoe36: Zoso passed the test Merc

You guys know that we are the 89 Celtics to the Pacers... we've been kicking sand in their face for a few years now...they ain't goin' down easy this year.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Mercury

Yep. The Pistons were haunted by "the Pass", and the Pacers are haunted by "the block.":D

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

tater

I wonder if Zeke still sometimes wakes up in a cold sweat after reliving that nightmare.

5. Darth Tater

detteam

lol. I can't speak for Zeke but I do know that I do!

6. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Wowww!!!!

You Da Man!!!!

9. jdmiser

jdmiser Second Round Draft Pick

Favorite Moment

I gotta chime in here because the image of this moment is forever seared into my brain. It was the playoffs last year, when we won it, and Elden "Charmin Soft" Campbell showed the L how hard he really is.

Campbell took the rock down the middle of the lane and threw down a nasty, soaring, tomahawk jam that let loose more lift than the big fella had exhibited in 7 years.

Damn, it was sick. Loved Campbell.

My editor at Dime Mag who hated Campbell totally changed his opinion with that one play and called for Campbell to play all playoffs long this year. Of course, we both totally agreed that Brown was to blame for bench mismanagement.

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Jamme

Oh boy, thanks for the video! Watching the Corliss dunkathon reminds me of why I liked the Deacon so much. I do miss that guy. On a positive note, watching the video of Maxiell has me geeked for the season. That guy seems to give about 150% on every play. Reminds me a little of Sir Charles with the power.

11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

nice one

Wow, suddenly I love Corliss again. That was a great one. Very similar to the Wallace vs. Artest battle.

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My favorite recent Piston memory

The game that ended the Pistons streak of holding opponents under 70 games was one of my favorite moments. The Nets celebrated as if they had actually won the game. The end of this game truly signalled how far the Nets had fallen and how dominant the Pistons had become.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

March 18, 2004

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The Detroit Pistons' five-game sub-70 streak came to an end, though the New Jersey Nets went a bit overboard to halt it.

The Nets committed an intentional foul to stop the clock with 13.1 seconds left, and Aaron Williams made a tip-in with 1.1 seconds remaining in an 89-71 loss to the Pistons on Thursday night.
    Williams pumped his fist after he scored.

"Maybe that was bigger to them than winning the game. That's what it seemed like to us," Rasheed Wallace said. "They were down there cheering, so hey, let them worry about that. We got what we came for."

13. Earthquake

Earthquake Second Round Draft Pick

Hi

Ben Wallace shoving Ron Artest was pretty great. The brawl that ensued sort of took away from it a bit, but that moment in isolation was classic.

14. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

favorite recent piston moment

As heartbreaking as it was that we lost the triple overtime game to the nets that has to be one of my favorites because they fought back and won the series they showed everyone that they had heart and could win. I don’t know many teams that could lose like that and bounce back. It was truly the defining moment for me in the championship run that and Billups hitting the half-courter.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

1990 Game 7 ECF against the Bulls was another good one.

I remember being so nervous waiting for that game to start.

Then the Stones blew out the Bulls and I was happy to see Phil Jackson so sad.

16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

all i got was audio...

...anybody know what i did wrong?:doh:
    hq:yo:

17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i agreeeeee with abe

my favorite Piston moment this year WAS GAME 6....goin to spurville with only pride on the line and sending them home thinking bad thoughts was very soppy for me......we take game 5 and i dont think we win Game 6....:yo:

18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

dont worry bruddas, i got it!

I had 2 download a video file....never should have dumped the Nasty Man...he deserved a ring!

19. ovee99

ovee99 Second Round Draft Pick

My 'least' favorite moment is...

The in-bounds pass from Isiah in the closing seconds of the Celtics series back in '86-87. The one that was picked off. I'll never forget the look on Bill Walton's face on the bench. :frusty:

Losing game 6 of the Finals against the Lakers in '88 was pretty bad, too. :mad2:

20. Darth Tater

I don't really have a favorite moment that I can think of. What does come to mind is the bad boys in their prime. Vinnie and Laimbeer shooting with no arc on the ball. A determined Isiah bringing the ball up and passing. Rodman and Salley on the break. Joe quietly taking care of business. And Rick Mahorns big fat butt setting a perfect pick that rarely failed. Or Mahorn's guy trying to back in on him and Mahorn would suddenly step aside and the guy would fall on his rear and get called for traveling.:pound: Man, I loved that team.