1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Mr Big Ego needs to go

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by theWORM, Jun 19, 2008.

1. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

To quote Phil Jackson: "I have had a stomach full of Billups". And not because of his forays to the hoop, which was the context in which Phil made that comment. BTW, when was the last time you say him consistently drive and finish in traffic instead of settling for his streaky 3pt shot?

I know he's only three seasons removed from leading us to the Championship, but there are some strong indications his over-confidence and misplaced ego are out of control, which is the exact opposite of what the Piston's need to move forward and re-gain the Championship belts.

1. At the end of the Boston series this was the general fallout: The fan's were pissed. Dumar's was pissed - as in, all your asses are now on the trade market, but I am cool with that - kind of pissed. Mr D? Bet he was pissed. Sheed has looked pissed at not getting to the finals, both this and last year, and knows its time for change: "That's the end, man". Dice weeps. In public. Again. And Billup's reaction was along the lines of "I hope Joe does not make any major changes. That he keeps things the same way." Great.

2. Down 0-1 to Philly, Billups states that even if they go down 0-2, he still feels like they are going to win the series. Do I need to say anymore?

3. Now this. Bucher breaks the news that Billups has taken his name out of consideration for one of the spots on the 12-man Olympic team:
    ESPN - Citing family reasons, Billups pulls out of consideration for Beijing - Olympic Basketball

Some poignant comments have already been made in another thread, so I won't rehash them, except the suggestion that the timing to announce his decision makes no sense. Why withdraw now at the 11th hour? Why not withdraw earlier, or later, instead of virtually on the eve of the team being announce? Its an honor just to be in consideration, even if you did not make the 12 man team. It would be an honor to be selected, even if you had to decline shortly afterwards, so why withdraw now? It was obvious he was going to be left off. A shallow PR move if I ever saw one. He cannot accept that he is no longer a top-tier PG (and IMO stopped being one when LB left town). Even Isiah knew when it was time, and gave up ALL his minutes on the Dream Team II, even when he could have still dominated during spot minutes.

Mr Big Ego needs to go.

2. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I agree.

Keep Sheed.

Trade Billups

3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree wholeheartedly. I was upset when Joe signed Billups last year. I desperately wanted him to walk because I saw him then with a strong case of bifheaditis.

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Based on what I've read, it seemed Billups wouldn't have made the Olympic team anyway. I suspect that rather than making cuts that Colangelo tells players quietly so they can opt out themselves.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I haven't been a fan of Chauncey for some time. He's like a bad drug. Just when you're ready to jump out of a window, he throws out a 22 point game, with 11-11 from the line, clutch in the 4th, and 9 assists.

Maybe it's just all of the dumb stuff he says. God is it irritating.

6. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Did you all take notice of Sam Cassell and the selfish bricks he was poisoning his team with in the Finals? And still talking about how good he is, and that he knows what its like to be here, blah blah.

That will probably be Chauncey in 3 years time. But I still think he can useful for at least 1 more season until Stuckey is fully ready.

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Chauncey in 3 years???????????????????????

[​IMG]

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When I saw the announcement, that is exactly what I was thinking. Colangelo probably said something like, "With your hamstring still troubling you, we're going to go with the young guy Chris Paul." It would be a classy move to let Billups publicly opt out on his own.

I was just surprised that Billups came out and said it was all about his family. Saying his hamstring wasn't right would have been more believable.

As far as saying Billups has to go, the Pistons could certainly do a lot worse than him. Chauncey is still a top 10 PG in the NBA. If you ranked him only on his interview skills, then sure you've got to get rid of him. He definitely has his faults on the court, as well. Perhaps with the emergence of Stuckey and an increased role of Afflalo, the Pistons will use a 4-guard rotation this year.

9. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I agree. AMEN!

10. max

max All-Star

Yes I noticed that about Cassell.

With Billups there is the gotcha I think. Wait one more year and Billups will be worth a lot less. Make a move now and we could get something really good given that so many teams are looking for the marque PG to take them over the top.

Then again we also will need that solid PG, can Stucky be the man? Its going to be a tough call for Dumars to make. If he feels that Stucky can get it done then I say pull the plug on a deal that could get us Mello or an impact front court guy or 2.

One thing going against CB is he does not have that killer instinct that you need from your team leader. I think thats why a lot of the older fans knock him because we saw that will to win at all costs from Isiah and CB is no Isiah, then again who is? Maybe Chris Paul but thats about it in todays NBA.

Can Stucky be the one is what it all essentially boils down to. With as much as CB has let us down the past 3 years I would have no problem moving him if that choice was made.

11. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Cassell will probably be more remembered than Billups. 3 rings. One of the sweetest releases of ALL time. Outspoken.

And who can forget that dance he does running down the court showing the size of his testicles (can someone please post a youtube vid link while we are on the subject?).

Webz my Melbourne brotha, you be right Stuckey is too raw to carry the burden of stepping into Billups shoes so soon. However, a solid career backup fringe starter may do the trick while Stuckey learns the ropes. I was hoping Avery would be coaching Stuckey for the next three years but not to be.

Max is damn right. Billups is on the slide, and his trade value is only going down from here. Get back value while we can. He can take his schizophrenic up and down hot and cold game and over confident 'tude elsewhere. It's not the Piston's way. It's time for Hamilton to lead this time. He's has the right mindset and leaves it ALL on the floor game in game out (no coincidence Ray Allen struggled to score in the ECF).

I don't see no class in opting out of consideration for the Olympics the way he did. If he had said his body needs the rest, there are others to man the point who are just as capable in bringing home the gold, then fine. But the way he has gone about it, when taken in the context of some of his comments as I have outlined, it speaks volumes his priorities.

12. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Wow, throw Billups under the bus day apparently.

Sad to see.

13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Whohaa! Earlier this forum collectively was ready to throw away Sheed, now Billups. Who's next?

This is not "war room" this is "panick room".

Billups has never been go-to guy PG and there is no need to be angry for it that he still is not...He usually tries his moves when he sees that everyone has already played his card.

14. max

max All-Star

Thats not the case. At least not with me. If you want to make an omelette then you have to break a few eggs.

When you think about it Stucky is not that far off from Billups when we 1st got him. Dumars pretty much signed CB off that good 1st round series he had in 02.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Billups was the best player on the 3rd best team in the NBA this year.

16. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I'm ready to deal him too, just not throw him under the bus and back over him a few times in the process.

This is where this board needs to be more nasty as whoever is treating Billups like that NEEDS to immediately and not in mixed words be told where to go and how far you should jam things where.

Pathetic.

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I wanted Flip Murray to replace him at the start of the season. Now with coach gone, it's time for Billups and Sheed to go. Bye bye...

18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Some time ago here was a poll, where was asked, who is MVP in this team and most answered "billups". So it is really pathetic how wind can change...

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Billups said his family is his priority. If you're looking to rip on the values of an NBA player, I think you picked the wrong guy.

20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps even best player on the second best team.

I don't really care if CB thinks the Pistons can still beat the Sixers if they go down 0-2. What's he supposed to say? - no, if we lose tonight, we might as well pack it up and go home for the summer. It's a stupid reporter question and there is no good answer.

Would I like to see a little more fire? Yeah, I would. Would a healthy Billups have gotten the Pistons past the Celtics? Not sure, maybe not, but then again, maybe so.

Stuckey has the makings of a fine point guard, and he might even be ready to take over the reins. Maybe. And that's a big maybe weighted against what could easily be a third all star season in a row from CB. And the fact that this team doesn't run at all without a strong presence at the point.

Send Rip & Max to Denver for Melo if you want a change and move Tay to the two spot. Start Amir and Sheed up front and get out of the way.