Mohammed

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by pwf, Jul 9, 2006.

1. pwf

pwf Second Round Draft Pick

Now that the fury of losing Wallace has calmed down. I don't see that it's all that terribly bad. Some pro's and con's that I've read about.

Pro's:
    Wallace is a one-of-a-kind defender. He forces players to change their shots and some he intimidates right out of the paint. A strong willed team player that settles for nothing less than full effort, both from himself and from his teammates.

Con's:
    I don't care who says what, Ben did NOT get along with Flip Saunders. It was as obvious as anything. Ben had limited offensive game, outside of his occasional putbacks and open court slams. Free-Throws we know to well by now.

Pistons Teamates:
    He recieved little/no help in the paint from Rasheed. That and Flip's offensive system where he needed Rasheed to do what Garnett does in Minnesota. Ben was hung out to dry a few times, the most glaring was during the Conference Finals.

Coach:
    Flip doesn't really know what defense is, making Ben frustrated and ineffective in Flip's offensive sets. (I have some stronger opinions about Flip, but I won't post them now) Ben leaving was destined to happen.

Now on to Mohammed, when compared to Ben.

Con's:
    He's definitely not even close to Ben defensively. Not many in the league are, so that's a huge loss.

Pro's:
    Like Ben; Nazr is a hard worker, and knows his strengths and weaknesses. He is willing to do the work inside, offensive and defensive rebounding. He has a better offensive game which would probably fit better with Flip's coaching style than Ben's "D" only did.

Teammates:
    Billups and Rasheed will have to be much more responsible defensively now. They don't have Ben to cover for them anymore. That is if they want to win more than they want personal glory. (sometimes I wonder about that)

Coach:
    Flip now has five players he can use on offence. Not to say Ben was totally lame, but Mohammed is more flexible and already has an offensive game. Ben still needed work on his offense, post-up and face-up too. I don't think Flip had it in him to teach Ben anything, so he just ignored him.

So, Mohammed isn't a bad signing. It's the best that Dumars could do with what was left. If something else opens up down the road Mohammed could be a very solid backup.

Those are my thoughts.

:ohwell:

2. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Good analysis, basically everyone will have to step up next year!

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

On the personal glory thing: I think you could say that about C-Note, but not Sheed. Sheed, I feel, is a team player. I believe him when he says he's all about the "ships." C-Note, on the other hand, has some chemistry problems. Needs to shut his mouth and play.

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I disagree. IMO, I think Billups is the guy that tries the hardest to keep everyone happy and on the same page.

He's seems very pollitically correct and never throws a guy under the bus in the media. He always tries to put a positive spin on things.

However, I DO think he bought into the MVP hype a bit too much last season. But I think that was more of an isolated occurance rather than a commentary on his character.

Billups has bounced around and given up on for most of his career. I just think he was starting to feel like he was finally getting the respect he deserved.

I fully expect CB to come back motivated and focused next season.

5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

If he plays like he did the second half of the season and through the playoffs....that pattern of bouncin' around the league you mentioned may not be over. He might want to look at some LB/Pistons tape.

6. jammertime

Unfortunately - and especially after what happened to Ben - I think you're right.

I think there's a better than 50% chance that he won't be back. If that is the case, hopefully this time Joe will be able to get something in return. :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

7. ggazoo69

You're right, he never threw anyone under the bus. He was too busy in the driver's seat, pimping himself. I heard him say this during a Cold Pizza interview, "To me, the MVP is the best player on the best team." And he was clearly referring to himself.

That would be nice. And fewer scenes of him shooting 3's when he is at 3 on 1 disadvantage would be nice, too.

8. jammertime

I'm not disagreeing with you on that. I said in my first post that I do think he got a bit full of himself when the MVP talk started.

To be successful at the NBA level - especailly at the PG position - you need to have confidence. But there's a fine line between confidence and cockiness/arrogance. I think CB crossed that line at times last season.

But I'm hoping the early playoff exit and Big Ben leaving will be enough of a shock to jolt him back to reality.

This team is no longer a guaranteed elite team. Its debateable if they're even the favourite in their own division now, let alone the conference.

They've got a lot to prove again next season. A position they should be more than familiar with. Much more so than the "Favourites" roll they were in last year.

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice job. We can only hope that the kids got their fill of personal glory this year and it left a sour taste in their mouths.

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Back to Mohammed.

Like CB, Nazr has played for quite a few different teams since he left college. Like CB, he was a well respected college player. (Not quite the number 3 pick...)

Like Ben he has a reputation as a hard worker. Unlike Ben he shoots almost 80% from the line.

He's a legit 6'10", not an optimistic 6'9".

Like Tayshaun, he went to the University of Kentucky, and played for Rick Pitino and Hard Ass Tubby Smith. In college, he showed tremendous improvenment, and moved from a player that rode the pine to one that helped the Wildcats win a championship in his Junior year.

He's not Ben Wallace, but I think he just may fit in with the Joe Dumars Pistons. This could be another under-appreciated talent looking for a home. :fingerscr

(Plus, I watched a lot of Kentucky games when he was there, and he was a very good player.)

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm looking forward to watching the points swing from last year to this year... It would seem like we'd give up 3-4 more points p/game while scoring roughly 3-4 more...
    There could be an advantage over a team like Miami... Zo & Shaq will not be allowed to camp inside... this will expose a weak perimiter defense....
    Will Shaq do any better against Nazr than he did against Ben?
    Watching Ben do his thing against the Pistons is gonna be like watching your mother in law drive over a cliff in your brand new corvette.

12. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

One thing is for certain, he's definitely a Piston now and he deserves a shot. Too bad I don't have alot of confidence in Flip's ability to develop this guy's game. Perhaps Sheed and the assistant coaching staff can be of assistance.

13. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think that might be my biggest concern too. Will Nazr be integrated in? Will they work on his weaknesses? Or will Flip just throw him down there and tell him to grab a board and throw it outside for a 3?
    :ohwell:

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Speaking of assistants anyone heard about O'Brien or TP?

15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

What about Kevin O'Neill?

Let's bring "Mother" back :nod:

16. jammertime

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think that's a trade-off I'd be willing to make.

You can always buy a new car.

17. max

max All-Star

O'Bien is a defensive coach. Would be an excellent choice to help balance things. Carlisles assistant Kevin O'Neal had a big impact on how the Carlisle Pistons played so I would expect the same influence from O'Neal. Excellent choice if we get him - or have we already?

Despite Bens slipping numbers I actually though his man-man D had improved last season. Things like stepping out and checking J.James did not really happen too much in the past. Or maybe that was part of the problem? - Ben was taking on too much.
    Getting a defensve minded assistant will help the rest of the team fill in.

I actually am not expecting Mohamed to be the X-factor next season. I have a feeling its going to come from someplace else. Perhaps Dyess plays a larger role and takes on starter type minutes. Or Sheed steps up with a career season. A lot of the slams on the Pistons losing Ben always seem to include Sheed being soft so perhaps he will take this personally and come out more focused. Dale Davis pretty much had a full season off so he should be ready, Maxiel may have something.

The No-Fly zone was often wide open and allowing traffic last season so we may not miss that as much as we think. Bens slipping numbers on blocks ( around 2.2. ) will not be that hard to replace.

We do have to find a way to comeup with 11 more boards. Points will not be an issue. The offense will increase. No more extended periods of 4 on 5 or having to reward one guy with a botched dunk or missed FT's because he got a block on the other end. We still need to get those offensive rebounds and its going to have to be more of a team effort. No more standing around wating for Ben to clean the glass. Its going to be a true test for the entire team to play as a whole and unselfish. Cannot afford any ego's or guys expecting to be rewarded.

Bottom line - the rest of the team will have to step up. Its happend before with other teams so we will see.

18. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

On June 30 McCosky reported:

The Pistons have interviewed former head coaches Terry Porter and Jim O'Brien to replace Lowe. O'Brien has notified the Pistons that he was going to stay out of coaching for another year.
    "We're still talking to Terry and to some other people," Saunders said. "Terry is still exploring the Portland ownership deal."

19. max

max All-Star

Thats too bad..

20. ggazoo69

You bring up some good points, as usual. Frankly, I'm still trying to figure out what happened this season. This team was better than Miami. They got too overconfident, I guess, and lost the focus that Rip always talked about them having. This, combined with a limited offensive scheme that loved jump shot after jump shot, has put me in a foul mood this summer. :frusty: