1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Mo Evans

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Its only the preseason, but you gotta give props to his stat line:

NBA.com

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Jeesh! Maybe Flip knew something, we didn't?

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

NBA.com : Maurice Evans Info Page

He didn't fare so well in the first two games. He is playing in Kobe's offensive spot.

I think the Lakers got Mo cheap and if he can backup Kobe and play a little SF, then they are laughing. I'm sure he can provide a solid 10 PPG in 16 minutes per night.

4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Wrote about this in another thread (and yes, I'm backtracking on a lot of my earlier Mo criticisms), but simply put, the Lakers know how to use Mo. Another knock on Flip's coaching.

The Lakers play up his strengths, and hide his weaknesses. Mo doesn't have to handle the ball, the have him covering weak 2's or 3's. On offense, they have him moving constantly. And when Mo get's the ball, I've seen him do 1 of 3 moves, either wide open shot he takes, he's covered and gets rid of the ball, or he has an open lane and drives to the hoop.

I thought he was going to lose his job to Sasha, but the two play well with each other, not one over the other. Flip needs to start paying attention to player chemistry, and playing off of player strengths while covering the weaknesses.

Heres a tip: JMax likes to score up close, Delfino likes to push the rock up the court. Try playing the two together and see how many assists Delfino can get off of JMax dunks.

5. Slippy

Roscoe, you're starting to bum me out man.

I'm backing what 16 mile said. If he can be used to his strengths, he'll be productive. You can't have him create on the wing a la Prince or spot up in the corner and nail 3's all the time. He can use his athleticism to finish in the 2-3 version of Maxiel. But he's not as bullish as Maxiel is.

Hopefully our team will change its playing style to its strengths on the floor. you can't have flip take rips place or Delfino take Prince's place and have it be as effective. They are different players and the style and plays should change.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't lament many outgoing players and mo is definitely not one I will miss.

But the Lakers did get him cheap for only a second rounder. Bear in mind, he's a former Euroleague MVP and has starting NBA experience on a playoff team. Ronald Dupree was sold off to Minnesota for the same amount and he's got zero jumpshot.

Cheick Samb was never going to play in LA. Mo Evans is a nice stopgap for them.

7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Are you calling "Samb-I-Am" cheap?!?!

A cheap date maybe, since a grape will fill him up for a week, but this man child will be the saviour of this franchise! We'll be saying "Ben who?" in a few years.

8. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

:cold:

No kidding? Let's see....he either shoots it, passes it, or drives to the hole. Are you suggesting there are multiple additional options available to a player who get's the ball? Mo was never as bad a player as some made him out to be. After all, he was one of our more productive bench players last year. :stirthepot:

I'm with ya here. :cheers:

Only I prefer Delfino at the 2 and J-Max at the 3. Now....if Amir can "develop" at the 4.....

:sssh:

9. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe he'll semi-break out this season, a la Smush 'former Piston throw-away' Parker. I don't miss Mo, but I never had a fondness for him either.

Good luck whatever your name was.

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

32 minutes 27 pt. 4 boards. Kobe didn't play.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We should see Carlos and Evans go head to head Nov 10th....
    That guy gave a solid effort and got abused by the fans mearly because he was in Carlos's way.... In a way I think he was unnecessarily run outta town.
    He could have been a nice fit with Murray (drive & dish).... I'm not seeing much outside shooting off the bench.. eventually teams will figure this out.

12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Starters too many jumpers. Bench not enough jumpers. Think Nazr should come off the bench?

13. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Unnecessarily run out of town - probably
    Unnecessarily brought to the Pistons in the first place - I reckon so

I remember at the start of the season wondering where he was going to get PT from. You could never question his effort, but he didn't provide any of the skills the bench was sorely lacking - dribble penetration and scoring punch. If we wanted an effort guy we should have just kept Dupree who does it slightly better IMO (or Darvin)

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is true... from the sound of it Flips planing on mixing starters and bench together more... maybe that will help balance the offense

Right, could be that Mo was brought here one year too soon.

I still can't figure out what Minn was thinking giving up a decent 2nd rounder for a guy who never got off the bench.

15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At least Joe could have gotten more in return than an unproven project player...

16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

There are at least two other options that Mo is completely incapable of doing: Breaking his man down off the dribble; and creating a play for another player.

17. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

True Dat! Wasn't his game anyway. Looks like we could use some half-way reliable three point shooting from our bench, now that you mention it.

18. Slippy

If by run out of town you mean he saw the writing on the wall and got the heck out then yes. Mo brought it every night. But Flip never found a real role for either guy. Much less minutes. Joe is publicly backing Delfino in a way that he didn't with some other guys. I'm going to put faith in that because his jumper sucks.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm wondering if all this internal promotion for Carlos is to build him up for a trade... kinda reminds me of all the stuff being said about Chucky before he was shipped.
    Hopefully he takes charge of his own destiny like Jmax.... he's doing alright (minus shooting) but he needs to put some consecutive good games together... One of the Hall coaches said on the radio that Carlos is playing tentative and he's settling for outside shots when his strength is getting inside... he said the coaches are going to talk to him about it.
    He's got everyone pulling for him while receiving plenty of PT.... it's time to take the next step.

20. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

He was a steal for LA and he can easily average 10 per game with 20-25 minutes. He got lost with all the infighting done last year.