Mitchell Report - A little light reading, anyone?

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by ggazoo69, Dec 13, 2007.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

2. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

I guess now we know how the Yankees were able to win 118 games in 1998...geesh.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Sheff is there too. Not sure I have enough to read through it, although if I need something to lull me to sleep I'll be sure to dig in.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That report is on steroids.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Surely the Senate has better things to do for Americans than investigate Steroids in baseball. :yellowprison:
  7. mikhail1973

Do we really want to get into politics? Isn't it an off-limit topic here? :stirthepot:
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd like to see them write a 400 page report on the failings of the Lions organization.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm just saying... :sssh:
  10. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Or a report on the Michigan economy and how they can help keep the rest of the country from a recession. Maybe that 20 million dollar budget could be put to better uses.

Oh yeah; 20 million to the government is like a dime to the rest of us. You would look at it twice if you saw it on the sidewalk but probably not worth bending over to pick up.:sssh:
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, but what does it all mean? What will this do to the game - will it become the next version of pro wrestling? Can a fan really watch a game now knowing that some reasonable share of players are artificially inflating their skills? By golly what kind of example is this setting for our kids (those of you with them) anyway?

To roscoe's question... In the end, it has to be a government investigation. The foxes clearly have had time to police the henhouse, and just as clearly have utterly failed to do it. These are the kinds of hands that senators love to be seen slapping.
  12. detteam

detteam All-Star

Hmmm...let's see here...

$20M divided by 409 pages comes out to....... about $49,000 per page. That kinda makes $600 hammers and toilet seats look like genuine bargains :yellowprison:

It's no wonder many people around the world scorn us...we're stupid!
  13. mikhail1973

But we have money. And if you have any brown people in your country, tell them to watch the (the F word) out, because we are going to bomb them.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some general observations:

I saw the original press confernce and it appeared that Senator Mtichell was running for congress again.

In the Selig rebuttal/response it appeared that he had not read the report yet?

Of course the Union boss denies everything...deny..deny..deny

I wonder if Roger Clemens pitches another 2-3 years if this report is not released

Does he and Bonds get asterisks next their names in the HOF snd when does a picture of one of his CY Young trophies with a needle sticking out of it appears in the papers...

How come there was no mention of Sosa and McGuire in the report and are they at home gloating knowing that they should be in it:eyebrows:

If you look at the last 30 pages of the report in appendix D, it appears that some drug lorb by the name of Kirk Radowski made a mint off these players

and finally..no wonder Halle Berry left David Justice:sssh:
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

My rules would be...

Every player going forward who tests positive for steroids/ HGH:
    • gets a 1-year suspension without pay
    • faces mandatory testing every 90 days for remainder of career
    • disqualifies themselves from all future all-star games and HOF
    • has to have an asterisk on their uniform directly after their number.
    If the penalties are meaningful for the player and their employer, then the testing will be less critical. The threat of being caught would outweigh the 80% likelihood of getting away with it on each individual test.

I really don't see why the player's union doesn't want steroids out of the game. All these cheaters are taking huge amounts of money from the honest guys.

Another thought would be to put a clause in contracts that invalidates them if the players ever tests positive. In a way, the player is committing fraud against their employer by artificially boosting their resume before signing a huge contract.
  16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Sounds good to me. But the player testing positive should be submitted to a number of further testings within a reasonable time frame before an ultimate decision on whether or not to enforce the penalties.
  17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Because Donald Fehr, head of the players' union, is as unscrupulous as the cheaters themselves.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bear with me as I venture into sci-fi nerd land here.

What happens to baseball in the event that genetic alteration, safe HGH, and other body enhancements (with no negative side effects) become common in the general population in 50 years say?

Will baseball players be required to be 200 lb weaklings with circa 2000 bodies?

It seems like we are rapidly approaching a date, certainly within 100 years, when this will be a reality. Will it lead to the death of sports? Will athletes be allowed to enhance, but only to a specified level, like race cars?

I'm just interested in the threshold between forcing athletes to protect their health and preventing them from cheating. Right now they are equally important it seems. What if they are in opposition, i.e. preventing the cheating harms their health (like in my future scenario).