Minors on hold / D-League Affiliate Announcements

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by mercury, Sep 11, 2005.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This article from Hoopsworld makes it sound like things aren't progressing fast enough to send the rookies down this year (consider the source)

This may have slid under the radar for many of you, but former Players Union President Michael Curry has found a new job… Vice President of Player Development for the D-League. Several agents joked about the manner in which Collective Bargaining talks went, saying while Michael was a good and genuine leader, you could see he was thinking about life after basketball. It’s amusing that the NBA gained its minor league system in the new labor deal, and Michael Curry who delivered the deal is now has a key role in the system. While NBA teams will have the ability to send down players up to three times per season, within their first two years of a NBA players career. One general manager said the exact mechanism of the D-League process has still not been hammered out, it is unlikely players on rosters now will be sent down this year – but in coming years as the D-League teams are fleshed out and expanded - teams will use it to help young players adjust. An eastern conference GM said, until the NBA announces franchise alignments and coaching staffs, it would impossible to gauge the instructional value of the D-League this year, but the concept is a nice new tool. The NBA’s plan is to expand the D-League to 15 teams, and align two NBA teams to each D-League team, based on proximity. The NBA wants its parent teams to have reasonable access to its development teams. The most obvious match would be the Florida Flame, which plays in Fort Myers Florida, about 4 hours from Orlando, and 2 hours from Miami. The D-League is currently comprised of 8 teams.

Lee may end up being right on this one...sure hope they can work it out. :confused:
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's too bad about this because it is a great tool for the young guys to get sent down for conditioning (think bloodflow) and playing time.

AFAIK you can only send down guys who are on the roster, so it would shorten the bench, but man what an asset to call up say J-Max or Delfino in a pinch and they are game ready to play serious minutes.

I mean, what baller doesn't want to play? "No Joe, I would rather sit on the bench and watch than go play 20~30 MPG every second night".
  3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Minor League

:doh: Too much politics going on for the Minor league to get going. Why don't they just adapt a practice squad like the NFL. You get to keep 4 or 5 guy's on a practice squad and let these guy's play pick up games versus other teams practice squad 2 hours before each game. It would give the early arrivals something to do at the Palace and other arenas instead of sitting there looking stupid.
  4. jdmiser

jdmiser Second Round Draft Pick

Baby Ball

I love the D-League concept. I would prefer them to force the kids to go to college and get an "education." But, since that is not reasonable, I would love to see tomorrow's stars bumpin' and grindin' rather than wasting away on the end of the bench.

The Euroleague has done a good job of filling that roll to some extent, but who gets to watch Euroleague games. Let them do it here, in America. I also like the idea of "calling up" players.

I just hope they use regular colored balls and not the old-style colored ones. I HATE that.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Maybe it's me. I don't know much about "Hoopsworld," but that article seemed to be very poorly written. I read it several times and all I seem to get out of it is that there will probably be a delay in the minor league system.

Does anyone know what the problem is? It would really be a shame if they do not get it going this year because it seems like it would be really beneficial to everyone. What's holding it up? If it is politics what are the issues?
  6. max

max All-Star

Dev league

That would be a great opportunity for Amir Johnson.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

According to the Denver Post it's back on again this year.

"Minor leagueThe Nuggets and three other NBA teams will start the first minor-league affiliation in Austin, Texas.
    NBA senior vice president Stu Jackson and NBA Development League president Philip Evans are scheduled to announce team affiliations today. The Nuggets, San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Clippers are expected to be affiliated with the new NBDL franchise in Austin. The NBA will be affiliated with the now eight-team NBDL for the first time in the 2005-06 season.
    NBA teams can send players with less than two years' experience to play for the NBDL teams. Players on the Nuggets' roster eligible to play for Austin include rookies Julius Hodge, Linas Kleiza, Ricky Sanchez and Luke Schenscher. NBA teams will pay the salaries of players sent to the NBDL and will lose a roster spot for any player sent down. Teams can option a maximum of two players at one time to
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    the minors. A player can't be optioned more than three times. The Austin Toros begin play Nov. 25 at Arkansas (Little Rock) and open at home Nov. 26 against Fayetteville (N.C.). The team will be coached by former NBA coach and player Dennis Johnson, who coached NBDL Florida last season.
    Former Nuggets interim coach and NBA player Michael Cooper is coaching NBDL Albuquerque.
    afiliates to be announced"
  8. Darth Tater

Good deal :)

I thought only two teams were going to share the minor league team? I wonder who the Pistons would share with. Logically, it seems it would be Cleveland due to proximity and the Piston's relationship with Gilbert/Rock Financial.

Milwaukee as the third? I just can't see Indiana partnering with Detroit. :boxing:
  9. doc

doc Second Round Draft Pick

Fayetteville, anyone?

NBA ANNOUNCES NBA DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE AFFILIATION AND ASSIGNMENT SYSTEM
    NEW YORK
    , September 19 – The National Basketball Association announced today its new affiliation and assignment system for the NBA Development League. Under this system, each of the eight current D-League teams will be affiliated with either three or four NBA teams, and the NBA teams may assign players in their first two seasons to play in the D-League.
    "This is another step in the right direction to assist in the continuing development of players," said Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President, Basketball Operations. "It has long been our goal to have team affiliations between the NBA and the D-League and this structure should be mutually beneficial to both leagues and the players."
    "This is terrific news for basketball fans in D-League markets", said Phil Evans, NBA Development League President. "Now, in addition to seeing the best basketball players in the world not currently in the NBA, they will have the opportunity to see current NBA players as well, some of whom will be future NBA stars. We've now made a quality entertainment product even better."
    This affiliation and assignment system will be reviewed by the NBA after the 2005-06 season, and if additional D-League teams are added for the 2006-07 season, affiliations will be adjusted to correspond with the total number of D-League teams..
    Assignment Rules:
    · An NBA team may assign any player on its Active List or Inactive List to play in the D-League, provided that the player has zero or one Years of Service at the time of Assignment.
    · No players may be given more than three Assignments during any season. There is no minimum or maximum length of a D-League assignment.
    · During the 2005-06 season, no NBA team may have more than two players on assignment at the same time.
    · A player on Assignment will be carried on the Inactive List of his NBA Team.
    The D-League offers players the opportunity to develop their talent in a highly competitive atmosphere under the NBA’s umbrella. Thirty-four (34) players have been called up from the D-League to the NBA on 50 separate occasions. Eleven (11) former D-League coaches, five athletic trainers, 11 referees and 29 front office executives have also been called up since the start of the league’s inaugural season in November 2001.
    Designed to help grow the sport of basketball both domestically and internationally, the league also offers fun, family entertainment at affordable prices. The D-League is a source of on-court talent for the NBA’s 30 teams and is a diverse human resources pool for the NBA and its teams by training employees in management, operations, public relations, sales and marketing positions.
    2005-06 NBA DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE TEAM AFFILIATIONS​
    Albuquerque Thunderbirds Florida Flame
    Phoenix Suns Boston Celtics
    Sacramento Kings Miami Heat
    Seattle SuperSonics Minnesota Timberwolves
    Utah Jazz Orlando Magic
    Arkansas RimRockers Fort Worth Flyers
    Atlanta Hawks Dallas Mavericks
    Cleveland Cavaliers Golden State Warriors
    Memphis Grizzles Los Angeles Lakers
    Toronto Raptors Portland Trail Blazers
    Austin Toros Roanoke Dazzle
    Denver Nuggets New Jersey Nets
    Houston Rockets Philadelphia 76ers
    Los Angeles Clippers Washington Wizards
    San Antonio Spurs
    Fayetteville Patriots Tulsa 66ers
    Charlotte Bobcats Chicago Bulls
    Detroit Pistons Indiana Pacers
    New York Knicks Milwaukee Bucks
    New Orleans Hornets
  10. Darth Tater

lol. So it is Detroit and Indiana after all. :laugh::confused:
  11. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Not quite...

The formatting is kinda bizzare.

Indiana and Detroit appear to be on seperate teams:

Detroit - Fayetteville
    Indiana - Tulsa

Looks like someone in the league offices has some common sense. :)

New York and Detroit will be sharing a team though. hmmm......
  12. Darth Tater

ohhhhhhh, I see. Thanks for clarifying that. :yo: I thought it was kinda odd.
  13. doc

doc Second Round Draft Pick

My bad

Yeah, my bad on the formatting...but yes, you are correct. Pistons are sharing with New York and the Bobcats.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well ALRIGHT!!!

Now we're talkin'

Two of our kids can go down this year... that's gr8 news for their development.
    I was hoping for a team closer to home so we could wander down and check em out... but hey I've got relatives in Fayetteville (save the deliverance jokes)

Wonder if Lee will own up once Amir lands on the roster.

Sharing with the Knicks?... Oh my won't that be fun... Hey Larry have we got a deal for you :eyebrows:

Fayetteville site
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

NEW YORK
    " For some would-be Detroit Pistons, the road to The Palace of Auburn Hills will begin at Crown Coliseum in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
    The N-B-A today announced the affiliations that eight clubs in the National Basketball Association Development League will have with the N-B-A.The Fayetteville Patriots will be stocked with first- and second-year players under contract with the Pistons, Charlotte Bobcats and New York Knicks.Players can be sent down as many as three times, but no team can have more than two players in the minors at once.Players on D-league assignments will still receive their N-B-A salaries and benefits".

Jackson said the NBA plans to remain flexible in implementing the new system, although one of the ground rules will require teams to forfeit control of an assigned player's playing time to the coach of the D-League team. In cases in which one developmental league team might be overstocked with NBA players at a particular position, or if one team has an inordinate number of assignees, the league could reassign a player to a different team.
    "We'll make some decisions as we go," NBADL president Phil Evans said. "This is a transition year, and we want to maintain flexibility because we're unsure how teams are going to use it."

Maybe G-Man can wander up the road to check on the kids now and then?

16. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Detroit and Indiana?? I would protest that. You should not share a team with anyone in your division. They have a chance to now scout a guy and learn and record all of his tendencies so when he does get called up
    they will know what the guy is all about and have ideas on how to defend against him. Not cool:frusty:
  17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

not on the same team

Detroit and Indiana are on different squads.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

These players are elgible to play on our affiliate team (compliments of H1):

Charlotte Bobcats: Alan Anderson, Kevin Burleson, Raymond Felton, Sean May, Antonio Meeking, Bernard Robinson and Emeka Okafor

New York Knicks: Trevor Ariza, Jackie Butler, Channing Frye, David Lee, Nate Robinson

Detroit Pistons: Alex Acker, Amir Johnson, Jason Maxiell, Carlos Delfino

If we look at this list a little more realistically we would probably take out these names:Felton, Sean May, Okafor, Ariza (never know with LB), Maxiell, Delfino

From a competition stand point Acker and/or Amir Johnson would be competing with Alan Anderson, Kevin Burleson, Antonio Meeking, Bernard Robinson, Jackie Butler, Channing Frye, David Lee, Nate Robinson.

If Channing Frye was sent down he would likely play center (no competition)
    David Lee is very polished and ready for the NBA, he could be competion for Amir Johnson
    Nate Robinson (could stick with the Knicks) is a pure PG and may beat out Acker as the starting PG... would Acker play more SG?

They say the Home teams have no say in who plays down there but you gotta believe Zeke and Joe will be bending some ears... It would be gr8 if our rooks beat out LB's rooks.

We may want to start a thread for the Fayeteville team.
  19. Darth Tater

Mercury

Can you clarify a couple of things for me, please?

(1) You listed 16 guys and removed about 6 who probably won't be there. So that leaves 10. OK, so do I understand it correctly to mean that each team can only send 2 guys and so only 6 total can be on the team?

(2) Are the games 48 minutes? If so, is 6 players on a team enough? I don't play the game, but it seems like 6 isn't enough to field a team without fatigue setting in.

I must be confused on something & would appreciate it if you could help me out here. :confused:
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Or what say you to renaming this forum the Patriot's one?

I doubt the rest of the NBDL discussion will be worthy of it's own forum.