Away Minnesota Timberwolves Wednesday Jan 18 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 16, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2012.
  1. Detroit

33.3%
  2. Minnesota

66.7%
  1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Luckily, we stayed in this one thru the first 3 quarters. Lucky as due to some foul trouble coach could not put in the total loser combination of JJ and Monroe as our bigs combo. But he managed to put these two together in to begin the 4th quarter so they could squander our 7 point lead we started the 4th with.

Other mistakes coach made. Completely wiped Ben Wallace out to start the game, playing him 12 straight minutes, something Ben can't do. Then he played Maxiell about 12 straight minutes, something Maxiell can't do. A wise coach would alternate these two in 6 minute stretches, and a wise coach would have one or the other at power forward at all times.

Again, JJ played power forward, a position he can't handle, and again in foul trouble.

Tay missed his first several shots but then was pretty awesome for the rest of the game keeping the Pistons in this one. Knight is not showing a steady outside shot. Daye did not play again. Instead, an inept offensive player is out there in Wilkens. Poor choice.

Ben Gordon may score for you once in a while, but playing to make others better is something he can't do - and he should not be on this team. (I will admit I like his effort on defense on occasion, but that is about it - most of the time he hurts us on both ends of the floor.)

This game, we got to the line, and missed half our free throws. Could be this continuous onslaught of games is taking its toll on the legs. Good reason to start playing Macklin. More players is better right now. But no, I would still not like seeing CV out there under any circumstances.

Rotation:

Start Knight, Daye, JJ, Macklin, Monroe

2nd unit: Stuckey, (Knight or Daye), Tay, (JMAX or Ben Wallace), (Macklin or Monroe)
  2. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Rubio was better in the second half. BK did pretty well when he wasn't getting called for fouls for breathing on the guard version of Tim Tebow. Ok, not Wade bad, but that call on the inbounds was just... Kevin Love is a douche. Stat machine, but his defense is porous.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons were up big because MN was playing and not because of how they were playing. Didn't the Pistons open and blow a big lead last year against these guys also?

I liked how the Pistons opened up by going to Monroe after his off performance against Houston. He hit some difficult shots this game and I thought he stood up pretty well to Love on the glass.

There was a loose ball situation with about 3-3:30 left in the game at the Pistons end of the court when the TWolves were making their final run. The ball bounced out to the 3 pt line right towards the Pistons greatest physical specimen Rodney, the perpetual victim/rookie, Stuckey who instead of charging towards the loose ball flinched and wilted from the contact so Anthony Tolliver could scoop the ball up for a dunk. This kid can do it all!

It should not be taken for granted how Rubio ran the team down the stretch. Can you imagine the excuses the Stuckey fan club would come up with if he spoke a foreign language?

Rick Rubio - 6 boards/5 defensive in 36 mins. Brandon Knight - 4 boards all defensive in 35 mins. Rodney "I Just Want to Run" Stuckey - 0 rebounds in 27 mins of play.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Ricky shot 1 for 8 during the game............but 7 rebounds and 8 assists shows he out there doing his job, wether the shot is landing or not.........42% shooting...........40% 3-point shooting for the season.

Stuckey was 4-12 during the game...........3 assists and 0 rebounds........
    up to 34% shooting now for the season...........27% from 3-point land.

Maybe one day...........I'll see what all the fuss over Rodney is all about. It's just too late in his career to talk about potential at this point.
  5. Nemo

Uuuuuuuggggghhhh. We're 1-9 over our last 10 games. That's the worst in the NBA.
    Looks like full taynking mode to me...............
    Minny last night started out shooting turrible, but still....I felt the loss was coming.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Flip's Wizzards beat the Thunder last night so it was actually a pretty productive night for Piston nation.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We're probably still paying Flip as part of a settlement agreement, so maybe he still feels some loyalty to us.
    S.J. likes this.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Good point.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Ok, here's the thing I keep seeing so much this year from Tay and I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT! He is very selfish during fastbreaks. There will be 2-on-1 or even 3-on-1 situations where he'll have the ball, have the defender commit to him, and instead of passing the ball to the wide-open guy(s) for a no-effort layup or dunk, he forces it and gets blocked, fouled or simply misses the shot. He does hit them about 30-40% of the time but we should be scoring close to 100% of the time in those situations.

Prince has been, and the pre-2008 Prince will remain to be, one of my favorite players, but HE IS KILLING THIS TEAM. HE MUST GO!!!!!
  10. Nemo

Doesn't sound like you want his number up in the rafters.........
  11. Walter

I'd rather see Mahorn's jersey up there before Prince's. From the 2004 team, I only want to see Big Ben's number there. All other pieces of that team were replaceable IMO.
  12. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

He picked up bad habits by playing in summer league.
  13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Stay positive, he's only got 4 years left on his contract.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Do you think there are fans out there for another team that hold such a low opinion of a championship team?
  15. Nemo

Interesting.........I think you'd get a lot of differing opinions on 2004 jerseys from the rafters.

Personally.............I'd Go with Billups only................
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Prince has only been blocked in the paint 3 times this year. His FG% in the paint is .537 (vs .462 for Stuckey and .540 for Jerebko).
  17. Walter

I allowed my general fury against the current team get the better of me. But, allow me to elaborate.

Billups was the finals MVP, and he's earned the nickname Mr. Big Shot. So, I would be ok with his number being retired.
    Rip, meh. He did more damage to the Pistons since the championship IMO.
    Prince, meh. The ultimate glue. And he's sticking around during the bad times. I guess you could make the case for him.
    Sheed. He's the piece that put us over the top. He'd be the 3rd jersey I wouldn't mind up there. Before Rip and Tay for sure.
    With Big Ben there is no question. He was the soul, identity, unspoken leader of that team. He set the tone.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rip was the leading scorer for the entire run and beyond. I'd lean toward him over Sheed.