1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Away Minnesota Timberwolves Wednesday Jan 18 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 16, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2012.
  1. Detroit

33.3%
  2. Minnesota

66.7%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

8:00 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit / NBA league Pass
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Rodney Stuckey 31% shooting........4.7 assists pg........10.9 points pg - 29% 3 point shooting.
    Ricky Rubio 47% shooting............8.3 assists pg.........11.0 points pg - 46% 3 point shooting.

Yea........I can see Stuckey signing for over 8 mil per season............:)........Joe could too.

3. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

There was a good article about Stuckey's contract.... its only 8 8 and 4 in for sure money..... so not nearly as bad as it could be, 4 million in the last year makes this a very tradeable contract next year.

4. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Minnesota by 15, Rubio will have more than 17 assists.

5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Knight will totally out-rebound Rubio in this one.

6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Totally agree! Knight out-rebounds Rubio, and Love out-rebounds the Pistons.

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Oh baby, we've got a barn burner tonight!

The Pistons play another team so we've got a chance to see a competent NBA team perform.

Is it just me or does every team the Pistons play, save for Charlotte, seem to have 4-5 guys that would start at PF for them?

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Do the Pistons have 1 guy that could crack the top 10 most athletic guys for MN?

9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum!

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

I forgot about Bynum. He might even sniff the top 7. Joe is a freakin' genius!

Our candidates are Bynum, Max (I'd rather have the guy that posts here.), Knight and Damien (might be 43 yrs old) Wilkins. Geez!

11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

How did the T-Wolves get such a solid young roster?
    Isn't their GM (Kahn I think) a complete jackass?
    Why didn't they re-sign guys like Marco Jaric and Sebastian Telfair a couple of years back to above market contracts that would inhibit their ability to trade for younger/better talent and prevent the team from establishing some sort of forward thinking blueprint for success?

Nemo likes this.
  12. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Rubio and Love are going to run wild on the Pistons. I expect another double digit loss.

13. max

max All-Star

Come home, eat dinner, watch the Pistons lose, repeat....

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Sounds like a good laxative to me..............

15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

As bad as the Wolves have been shooting, we should be up by 20 pts by half. But, alas it's just a 6 pt lead which I'm sure will evaporate quite fast in the 3rd.

16. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Do the Pistons even know how to box out? It is insane that every game they give up so many offensive rebounds.

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Another winnable game that equated to a loss due to turnovers, silly fouls and just being out hustled again down the stretch.

Pistons blew a 16 pt second qtr lead allowing the Twolves to close on a 12-2 run to end the half with holding on to a 42-36 lead. The Pistons open the third on 9-4 run to open up a 13 point lead thanks to some hot shooting by Tay, only to see the Twolves trim that lead to 4 with a 9-0 run themselves .

Even then you knew that the Twolves were probably going to win this game, because you could see the Pistons making mistakes that losing teams tend to make. Max missed key FT's and rebounds, Stuckey was missing point blank layups, JJ still getting into foul trouble. There was a crucial point in the 4th, where a rebound fell in front of three Pistons and Tolliver stepped in grabbed while the Pistons thought about it...he passed to Barea who buried a three to put the Wolves up by 1 for the first time in the game. From there it was all Twolves as they outscored the Pistons 19-12 from that point on with the Pistons only scoring 6 points the last 6 minutes of the game.....just enough to come close to our last in the league scoring average of 85.4 pts per game.

18. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

This was a good game...until it all went downhill in the fourth. As usual. Also as usual, it was the turnovers that did us in, but it was Brandon Knight and Greg Monroe in foul trouble (Greg fouled out) that started it all. All those and one calls, the careless ball handling (I'm looking at you, Stuck) and the overuse of isotayshauns that turned what was a good, potential blowout win into a frustrating loss. Ricky Rubio flops like a pro.

Greg was very, very good early, he was aggressive, rebounding well, until he got 2 quick fouls and had to sit. I thought Frank kept him on the bench a bit too long, but the Pistons didn't need him at first, as they ran out to a 16 point lead in the second quarter...which sadly dwindled to 6 at the half. Greg was doing his best Rasheed impersonation too. "Blow the (f word) whistle man!" He needs to not let things like that get to him.

Brandon was ice cold the whole way, going 0 for 4 early with his first points coming off a goal tend in the first half. He did a fine job on Minny's guards, but 2 quick fouls (his 3rd and 4th) forced him to sit with 4 minutes left in the 3rd. This was when Minny started to really chip away at the lead, as the Pistons' offense stagnated under the weight of, as I mentioned, the overuse of isotayshauns (for Stuck and Tay). Rubio also got loose at this point. Frank kept him on the bench far too long, as BG and Stuck got their fill on bad shots and, inevitably, loose ball handling (fix that, Stuck). He and Greg have to get better at not letting their frustrations get to them. Rubio was getting the calls (seemingly, I'd say it was pretty even), he was not, and that clearly got to him (same for Love and Moose). You simply can't rely on the officials to bail you out. Of his 4 turnovers, 2 were for offensive fouls. This team is different when he (or Greg) are on the floor or on the bench.

Tayshaun was brilliant on offense for the first 3 quarters, our only reliable scorer. I thought he started to force it a bit at the end, those isotayshauns! :doh: Greg was making entry passes to him so he could post up. That's not something I want to see too often, as Minny's defense was by then geared to stop precisely that. Granted, he was hot tonight, but you have to get yours in the flow of the offense, and he was doing very well that way for the most part, but they went iso almost every time down the floor in the fourth. Isotayshauns only work for so long before coaches make adjustments, and it stagnates the offense. If you have a guy like Kobe, sure, as he's either going to get a basket or a foul call most of the time, but we don't have someone like that.

Stuckey is touted for his defense. We all know this, and his defense is definitely better than BG's, just off of his size and strength. But he's very often a lazy defender, not fighting through screens hard enough, and unlike Brandon who will go and get the ball himself, Stuck is sometimes slow to go to it. There was once in the late third if I remember correctly, where four Pistons were standing around with the ball bouncing in the middle between them, and no one went to get it. Some guy in a white jersey just ran between them and laid it in. That kind of lazy basketball needs to be eliminated immediately. As the game wore on, I ended up practically begging Stuck to look to run something other than a post up for him/Tay. He and BG together is almost like him and WB out there. BG will inevitably go for that bad pull up jumper, and Stuck/WB will inevitably get tunnel vision, drive the lane and take a wild shot. Also, in BG's case, it'll be a dumb pass, for Stuck's it'll be him getting blocked or getting stripped at the top of the key (happened again, courtesy of the massively Tebow-hyped Rubio this time).

Wilkins is usually a pretty solid guy, but he sucked tonight. That stupid foul at the end of the third was costly. Nothing left to say really.

Max actually came to play tonight. His defense wasn't stellar, but he was at least showing more effort than he did last night.

JJ was ok. He was actually his usual energetic self early, but he really needs to be more careful with the fouls.

BG...he's like Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. He forced a bunch of shots and allowed JJ Barea to get open far too often (those 3s were killer). This was why I wanted Frank to get Brandon back in earlier. BG was just getting burned to a crisp on D.

Oh, and Darko sighting! Good riddance buddy!

The Pistons need to get a trademark on the Fourth Quarter Collapse.

Walter, Nemo and LA Dre like this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't get to see it, but looks like a really bad collapse considering we were playing against a sub .500 team. Rubio is really pumping out the assists this year and Kevin Love just has a lot of energy for a big.

20. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

We can't beat a sub .500 team.. I mean.. that's common known.

We should be really happy if we beat a sub .200 team !