1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Home Minnesota Timberwolves Tuesday Mar 26 2013

Discussion in 'March 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I agree to an extent, I agree that losing games is the best bet at high pick this off season, but I think most of us on the forum thought coming into the season that we should be playing 50/50 ball. I for one thought that Moose and BK would have stepped up their games from the previous year, and I was optimistic about Drummond being a much needed rebounder and defender. I Think BK and Moose have been at best even from last year. I still think Frank was underutilizing Drum and he is providing lip service when he says Drum was going to start if he didnt get injured. Frank doesnt even have the common sense to even ramp up our rooks minutes in the limited games remaining, is he affraid the team will lose? look like crap? get blown out? hmmmm. This entire season has been a giant waste of experience for our youngsters and a step in the wrong direction for our supposed future stars. I wouldnt blame Jose if he is on the first thing smoking as soon as the 82nd game is over. What on this earth would he want to stick around this disaster of a team for? to watch Franks team start slow again next year? see the lottery pick we get this year play 15-20 minutes a night behind Stuckey? Nope....hes gone...and if Joe has any ideas of getting him back? he better deep six the paper boy.

BallDon'tLie and The Low like this.
  2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

LOL...we have to be the only LOTTERY team in the NBA that thinks it's young players still need to sit and learn behind veterans who are losing 50 games. Actual NBA teams draft in the lottery and those young players become the face of the franchise. Could you imagine Anthony Davis being told he needs to play 12 mins a night and learn slowly as veteran player Lou Amundson gets 25 - 30 mins a night?

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Giant waste of experience for our youngsters?

In 72 games, the Pistons have played 5 rookies:

Singler - only one to play all 72, of those he started 64 games, averaging 28.4 minutes per game
    Drummond - 19 years old, played the first 50 games before injury, averaging 23 minutes per game in the weeks before he went down
    English - played in 33 games, averaging 10 minutes per game
    Kravtsov - played in 21 games, averaging 9.9 minutes per game
    Middleton - 21 years old, played in 17 games, averaging 15.7 minutes per game

Other young guys:

Knight - 21 years old, playing in 2nd season - started 65 games averaging 31.1 minutes per game
    Monroe - 22 years old, playing in 3rd season - started 71 games averaging 33.1 minutes per game
    Jerebko - 26 years old, but basically his 3rd season - played 39 games averaging 16.6 minutes per game

How many NBA teams come even close to this "giant waste of experience for our youngsters"?

4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Drummond's averages are 19 minutes per game for 50 games.
    Harrison Barnes is 72 games at 25 min/game,
    Dion Waiters is 57 games at 29 min/game
    Moe Harkless 66 games at 24 min/ game

The thing is: we didn't play Drummond at the expense of winning. He had a noticable positive effect virtually every game.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Woulda rather seen English than Stuckey.
    ...Middleton over Tay might have been a good idea.
    ...Did we gain anything by playing BoT over TRG?

copper likes this.
  6. BillLaimbeer

Agree on all three counts. Has Joe D been giving Coach Frank any input on who we wants to see on the floor based on salary, showcasing, tanking, etc.?

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We sat Maggette the whole season after an initial get to know you period. That is good. We traded Tay. We showcased Daye. Singler has received more minutes that he probably would have in his entire career if he would have been drafted by a playoff bound team.

I feel like this is the first year when we've actually been able to see what every guy on the roster can and can't do. I like not having to guess.

Slippy likes this.
  8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I thought they were too conservative too long with Drummond but beyond that, I thought the organization did a fair job mixing in the rookies when you look at minutes. But they did a horrible job with chemistry. Too many players were lodged in roles that didn't have a positive effect.

Maxiell: I love the poster dunks and the toughness but he doesn't rebound well and between him and Monroe, the team gets hammered by long, athletic front courts. He should have been subbed sooner for Drummond and spent more minutes with the 2nd unit.

Stuckey: No matter where he played, he sucked. It was Daye level suckage. The team actually looked better when he was out then regressed when he returned. The Only way him and Bynum would have worked is if Frank threw out two balls and even then you'd have that situation where Bynum's shot would be blocked by Stuckey's shot at the rim. I bet dumars was working the phones but no one was going to take Stuckey without a 1st round pick thrown in. I would have liked to have seen Maggette but Singler was the main beneficiary so I'm very happy about that.

CV: There were two games where I got excited about CV. Its sad when you pay a guy so much to have so little impact. As bad as JJ looked. I'd have gone with him more to get his flow going.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Reading the stuff about Monroe and Drummond just now starting to practice together is a bit troubling to me. I don't know the grand plans Frank had for the team outside of this, but I guess he felt he needed to get Singler on the floor.

It would have been nice to see him bend some and break away from playing guys 12-14 minutes straight if Drummond was having trouble staying on the floor. Max is close to getting a statue outside the Palace in Frank's estimation.

I'm glad guys like Kenny E, Middleton et al got time, but they are bit players. This year was all about Andre Drummond and Frank failed miserably with him. He's a buffoon!

copper likes this.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The article I read was about Monroe telling the reporters that Dre looked good when they were practicing together. Let's not extrapolate that to mean they've never practiced together until now.

11. BillLaimbeer

I thought Frank was bringing Drummond along perfectly. The minutes were slowly getting ramped up towards 25-30 per game. Remember, Drummond was gassed whenever he played in long stretches. Drummond was being put in situations to be successful. The plan all along was to have him starting in the last couple of months. The injury set that back.

linwood and The Panda like this.
  12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Hindsight is 20/20. The thought process by most folks was that Drummond was going to get spotty mins and wasn't ready to help with the team at all this year. The team had a plan and stuck with it, and its far down on the list of issues I'd have with how the team has been run this year.

13. BillLaimbeer

It's a long-term plan for Drummond. I'm sure Arnie Kander even provides input as to how many minutes Drummond's body can take over a 90-game season (counting exhibitions).

14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

The problem is, once it was clear he was having a positive affect and actually exceeding expectations...they refused to adjust to the reality. What if Joe would have wanted to see 10 games of Rasheed Wallace in ATL before trying to convince him to sign in the summer...this is not a league where procrastination gets you very far.

This team's performance sucks...and all this talk about bringing people along slowly, having consistency, and earning time is all crap and it's annoying when they keep trying to sell it to the fans while we watch 50 loss seasons.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is the 95th post and now tied for the second the longest game thread of the season:hanged2:
    (A preseason Raptors game in October also had 95 posts)

The longest was the 12/14 Brooklyn Nets game which topped 100.
    Hmmm 12/14, that was my 27th wedding anniversary....I love me some Mrs. Dre:inlove:

The Low and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.