Home Minnesota Timberwolves Tuesday Mar 26 2013

Discussion in 'March 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I watched part of this game and all I remember is I had a more entertaining time watching pickup games at the park.
  2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I'd love a top three pick. But really a 5 to 7 pick is gift enough. As mentioned, the Pistons figured to be a bit too good this year (even after that awful start), to be higher than a 10 or 11 which is too far down below to expect a key player. But here they are at the 5. I am still worried that they will win too many meaningless games and fall to say the 9th pick. It could mean a golden opportunity lost. 2 out of 10 will keep us up there. 3 out of 10 is close. 4 out of 10 and we may fall too far. Any more wins than that would be detrimental to the short and long terms interests of the franchise. Nobody thinks back to how the Spurs got Duncan. It is not a matter of pride.

Drummond and Monroe are top 5 picks in reality. What I am hoping for is a third young piece to add. I trust that Joe wouldn't blow a top 5 pick this time.

Actually, the Pistons would be in a good position if they add one more top, young piece via the draft to the mix. They may not win immediately, but the future would be solid--for years and years to come.
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I'm officially starting up with the "Fire Frank" in DET (and Joe should be next). If your players ALWAYS sag off into the paint & give up 100's of 3's...You're either blind or you like it that way. They've been doing this crap all season and after watching the replay (for curiosity's sake), I'm sick of watching Tot stand over there and do nothing. Coach the damned team. You're not just the luckiest spectator in Auburn Hills. If your only solution to this foolishness is to have a merry-go-round of players that you permanently glue to the bench, YOU are not coaching. There's no reason through 82 games this team should be no better at defending 3 pointers than they were on opening night. As a matter of fact, they are WORSE. There's a 1000 things I want to rant about after watching that abomination of a basketball game, but I have to go do a podcast and it's probably a good thing. This team has successfully made tanking infuriating to watch. Well done, gang.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One strange stat that I noticed is that we have 3,053 rebounds on the season and our opponents have 3,053 rebounds. That's about the best stat that I could find.
  5. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

#mildlyinteresting
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And the two worst would be that we are 29th in the league in FT shooing at 69.8% and 29th in the league in giving up the most steals with 602 or almost 8.4 pg.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We do have some horrific FT shooters.

Kravtsov: .286
    Drummond: .365
    Villanueva: .488

119 misses on the year for the 3 of them combined. Most of the misses are from Drummond.

Hopefully he has been using his time off with a broken back to work on his FTs.
  8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Ive been saying since the start of the season that Frank is not a good coach for this team and he has done nothing to improve any of the players, He has had enough time to instill a system or even an identity on the team and he has done neither. I know people here have disagreed with my opinion that He is a horrible coach and they instead look to blame the players, but there is a point where the players need direction and instruction/ structure from their coach and Frank has failed miserably in that department.
    There is a difference between bad/young players forming an identity and progressing through a season and losing to better teams, and a group of players just going through the motions with no sense of direction and looking lost on the court in their "own" system.
    Woody and The Low like this.
  9. Pwn Toney

I agree and this is after I've had to turn the corner on Frank. I initially thought he would come in and instill a hard working/defense first persona (due to his limited history), but instead it's been like he's flailing around trying to figure out some combination of benching and late time outs to win games. I noticed our poor defensive rotations on open shooters back in November. How is it that regardless of who's on the floor, we're STILL seeing it in March? He really is looking like a horrible coach. Maybe LB was right about "anyone coaching in this league..."

I think you are also right about the players. It's easy to point the finger at them because they are on the floor, but if the coach is such a non-factor, why does every team have one? Based on the talent level of this roster, they should have been at least in the mix for that 8th playoff spot. Yet, they are damn near dead last in the entire league. We do not have 'worst in NBA' talent on this roster. We have guys that shouldn't be here, but we are not the absolute worst the NBA has to offer talent-wise. For his part, Joe D HAS given Frank some reasonable talent to work with and they finish the lockout shortened season playing .500 ball WITHOUT having Drummond. So for us to be playing like a laughing stock WITH Drummond is not indicative of us having NO talent. We have a coach that's getting nothing out of the talent we have.

You're right. If it were just young players who were losing to better teams, you would see that progression and the losses would be understandable, although disappointing. Hell, we have one of the best young big men the Eastern Conference has to offer and we're already hearing talk about trading Monroe. Really? How about we get a coach in here who does not allow an offense to progress to a point in ANY game where Monroe has 7 FG Atts and Maxiell has 14 through 3 Qtrs...How about that?
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's pretty simple really. If you don't have players that can defend on the ball, your defense breaks down, and teammates have to rotate to help out. Good teams will move the ball around and hit the open shooters. It all starts with on-the-ball defense.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am not sure Frank is a very good coach, and I am really sure we don't have a lot of good players.

It's a synergy. You need both working to be successful. In the Pistons case, we don't have both working.

To judge Frank straight up, I think you need to look across the court at the other bench and ask the question, "Is this guy getting outcoached each night?"
    Slippy and The Low like this.
  12. Pwn Toney

I agree if you're talking about dribble penetration, however, in that Minnesota game we were routinely burned on swing passes from the opposite perimeter players, which means it's apparently in our game plan to have the weak side perimeter player sag off into the paint. What they're supposed to be protecting against, I'll never know, because that's why you have shot blockers/big men. It's THEIR job to defend the paint. You aren't going to prevent a drive as the weak side guard if the other team has the ball left or right, free throw line extended. You COULD prevent that if they were attempting to drive from the top of the key, but once the ball hits either side, your big men are responsible for covering the paint at that point. Having a perimeter player in the paint from the left side when the ball is far right solves/prevents nothing and leaves spot up shooters wide open with no hope of beating the pass across the floor. That's not about talent or ability, that's about defensive scheme and putting players in a poor position to succeed.

If that was NOT in Frank's game plan, I would expect him to read players the riot act for as many times as we've been burned by it. But, since it's still happening 72 games in, I have to assume it's part of his game plan and he, somehow, expects it to work or improve. Unless our players grow wings, it's not getting better. It's a bad idea that he won't go away from like starting Maxiell, playing Stuckey, or not using JJ at the 3.
  13. Pwn Toney

Agreed. I think both have equal value when looking to win titles.

However, I think Knight, Calderon, Monroe, Drummond, Bynum, & JJ are reasonable players. I do agree we need MANY upgrayedds, though.

[​IMG]
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe went rogue and gave Tablecloth and Klueless Kuester a chance....when that didn't work he went with a supposed vet in Frank....although some thought it was a Gores choice.

Unless, Joe somehow has some compromising pictures and snags Phil Jackson, we PFans will never be satisfied around here until Laimbeer gets a chance to prove that he is a savior or bust. We have seen Frank get out coached in several games by other newbies who may or may not have had better talent on the floor than those who wore Pistons on their chest.

We know that we are in tank mode, but to have a team like the Twolves come in and blow you off your own court seems kind of dishartening.... No excuses that we were missing Drummond or Bynum.......they were missing Klove. Our coach just couldn't motivate our guys and the paying fans had nothing to cheer about.
    Ernie the Slow Adult and The Low like this.
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree Low, although JJ isn't a particularly good player.
  16. Pwn Toney

For some reason, I still like him. I think maybe I still feel like he's been slowed by injury. It feels (probably only to me) like the more he plays, the better he performs.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

That has been his game plan all season, and any player who does not go with the game plan, regardless of how ill conceived, does not play.
  18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I was on the Frank bandwagon until the Jose Calderon trade which marked the beginning of Stuckey at the 3 nonsense, and the 3PG lineups.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have no problem with losing basketball right now. The real work needs to be done this summer.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jerebko plays kind of stiff. He hustles and appears to try hard, but I definitely don't have much hope that he can be more effective in the future. His total shooting percentage isn't good enough for a guy that can shoot 3's.